• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shoreline

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

It's released in a matter of hours from now.. so anyone getting this? I sure as hell am!

Edited by Shoreline

It's released in a matter of hours from now.. so anyone getting this? I sure as hell am!

*raises hand*

I have been watching the live play video today on 1up and ign.....WOW!!!

And I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that has played it.....AWESOME is all I got to say.

I love the fact that there will be infinite quests with the different groups/factions in the game like with the brotherhood you will never run out of stealing or assassination quests so that's going to be interesting.

One thing to also point out while watching the live video today while i work..They did a test on how long it took them to run from 1 side of the made to the other...the guy did stop and fight a few times but it didn't take long to kill what he was fighting....it took over an hour!!!

CAN'T WAIT!

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Guest Shoreline

Awesome dude. :)

For whoever might be interested, here is a website to see if your PC specs are up to standards since Skyrim will obviously require some decent power. Disable pop-up blockers and allow the software to run itself "one time".

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

In the search box just type "skyrim" and you'll see the options.

I'm between the middle section of "minimum requirements" and "recommended". Medium-low settings for me it is.

Edit: One thing I liked about Oblivion, the previous ES series game, was that you could mod the game and use a Shivering Isles race, Golden Saint and Dark Seducer. I loved playing those and hope they allow lore-based customized races like that, without the sound issues the GS/DS had when teleporting outside Shivering Isles.

You can also expect at least one expansion, and an assload of DLC's, as well as a Game of the Year Edition at some point which will include whatever expansion(s) and some DLC's, presuming they (Bethsoft) follow the path of Morrowind and Oblivion.

Edited by Shoreline

I have my pre-order sitting in my wallet. Unfortunately, the store I pre-ordered from isn't doing a midnight release (bastards!!!) I'll have to wait until the AM to pick it up. The good news is that I get a long weekend, so I'll be living in my gaming den for the foreseeable future.

I'm way more excited about Skyrim than I was for Oblivion for some reason. The gameplay videos that have been released look absolutely amazing.

Awesome dude. :)

For whoever might be interested, here is a website to see if your PC specs are up to standards since Skyrim will obviously require some decent power. Disable pop-up blockers and allow the software to run itself "one time".

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

In the search box just type "skyrim" and you'll see the options.

I'm between the middle section of "minimum requirements" and "recommended". Medium-low settings for me it is.

Edit: One thing I liked about Oblivion, the previous ES series game, was that you could mod the game and use a Shivering Isles race, Golden Saint and Dark Seducer. I loved playing those and hope they allow lore-based customized races like that, without the sound issues the GS/DS had when teleporting outside Shivering Isles.

You can also expect at least one expansion, and an assload of DLC's, as well as a Game of the Year Edition at some point which will include whatever expansion(s) and some DLC's, presuming they (Bethsoft) follow the path of Morrowind and Oblivion.

I did it with my work lappy and im right in the middle as well. hahaha I think i will still play it on 360. I may try it on pc as well just to see.

Guest Shoreline

It is.. beheading at the start then dragon fight.

Just to be a ****** we snuck past the bear and once I realized I was in the clear to the exit I doubled back just to shoot it in the ass with an arrow and take my leave outside the cave. :lol:

I'm on medium settings and s*** looks great. Can't imagine how awesome it would be maxed.

Edited by Shoreline

I pre-ordered the s*** out of this and am playing it now practically non stop. This game will alter my habits. My pc is a few years old so I just went with the ps3, aside from a few load times it's great and I suspect easier to play with a gamepad.

Guest Shoreline

Without a doubt the UI on the PC version caters to a gamepad and I can't exactly figure out why..

Bought this game yesterday evening, and have been dying to play it ever since.

Yet, it sits on the bar in the kitchen, as I've barely had enough time to sleep, let alone dedicate a few good hours to this game. This afternoon looks promising, however.

Getting fantastic reviews. 9.0 from Gamespot, 95 from IGN, 95 from Game Informer.

Yet, it sits on the bar in the kitchen, as I've barely had enough time to sleep, let alone dedicate a few good hours to this game. This afternoon looks promising, however.

Getting fantastic reviews. 9.0 from Gamespot, 95 from IGN, 95 from Game Informer.

Let us know when you finally play it and what you think. I'm still in amazement.

Let us know when you finally play it and what you think. I'm still in amazement.

Played about 2 hours last night, and am very impressed. Of course, I'm still really early in the campaign, but I'm definitely liking what I've seen so far.

Very curious to see if my old trick from Oblivion still works. Enchant 5 different pieces of armor/clothing with 20% invisibility, and POOF! No one can see you! Enemies don't know that they're being attacked, civilians don't know their goods are being stolen. It was glorious!

Guest Shoreline

Chameleon? I thought trying to activate/take something while invisible made you visible even if it was an enchantment. I used to do that long ago in Morrowind but it felt like cheating with how easy it was to steal and kill. :lol:

I can't believe I didn't mention this in a post above relating to the cave, since it happened just after, but as soon as I went to a nearby village I decided to practice my archery skills on a wandering chicken in the street, and suddenly I had the entire village outside after me, followed by people spilling out of their houses to come after me. So I'd be careful about that, they regard chickens in town much like some sort of KFC deity and you get a bounty for it + the entire town after your ass. :blink:

Played this game like crazy over the weekend. I thought the terrain and scenery in Oblivion was beautiful, this game really takes it to the next level. The mountain ranges look fantastic. I was chasing a bandit through the woods at night, and after I took him down, I just looked up to the brilliant northern lights and gigantic moon in the sky.

I really can't get enough of it. Every dungeon, every town, every nook and cranny is worth exploring. The main plot is pretty engaging too.

I just wish they kept in spellcrafting, and gave the companions personalities and their own side quests like in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Guest Crymson

With a newborn infant, it'll be years until you manage to finish this game.

Chameleon? I thought trying to activate/take something while invisible made you visible even if it was an enchantment. I used to do that long ago in Morrowind but it felt like cheating with how easy it was to steal and kill. :lol:

I can't believe I didn't mention this in a post above relating to the cave, since it happened just after, but as soon as I went to a nearby village I decided to practice my archery skills on a wandering chicken in the street, and suddenly I had the entire village outside after me, followed by people spilling out of their houses to come after me. So I'd be careful about that, they regard chickens in town much like some sort of KFC deity and you get a bounty for it + the entire town after your ass. :blink:

Killing farm animals is considered a crime; it's destruction of village property.

Guest Shoreline

^ PETA does not approve of "property". :lol:

Which reminded me.. there's a few likes and dislikes, and a few other comments.

- Scenery

- AI

- The way PC/NPCs move

- More realistic magic-based combat

- Beast races look more practical and not so cartoonish

Dislikes:

- Cannot kill children (they can report you if you sneak into a house, but you can't maim the ***** for calling the guard? hopefully there's a mod for this)

- The shortcut bars are not short enough.. I don't like using "q" to scroll a list of spells I just want to activate one like Morrowind and Oblivion. This might be an issue of ignorance on my part though.

Comments:

- Jumping/falling is way more realistic here than in Oblivion and especially Morrowind, and you're way more vulnerable to falls. This one time I had a horse, wasn't steering him properly, then fell off the tiniest cliff ever, the horse died, I fell off, then bounced down another cliff and died. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

- Not sure what to make yet of the HUD. I like seeing how much current overall health/magic/stam without looking in menu's. Could be another thing of ignorance though.

With a newborn infant, it'll be years until you manage to finish this game.

having 4 kids myself...it will be about 10 years for me im sure. hahaha the new elder scrolls will be out already on the next gen system im sure. hahaha

But even if it was just me alone it would take me a long time. I'm the type thats going to take time and explore everything. I still haven't even did the first part of the main quest yet and im already at lvl 11 hahahaha

Well I took the plunge into Lycanthropy and not sure I like it now. I guess I'll be hunting for the cure. I also found myself in a pitched battle and my Lydia got wacked, made me terrible sad to lose her.

Chameleon would make you visible if you took any aggressive action, such as stealing or attacking, but invisibility was different. I think it was designed that you were only supposed to be at 20% invisibility, meaning you could be invisible if your enemy had a low enough awareness. But if you added several pieces with 20%, the effect was cumulative, so you could be completely invisible to every enemy. Closing down Oblivion gates was a cakewalk, when you could walk right up to the Sigil Stone without ever being attacked once...

About 4 hours into Skyrim now. Spending time doing some of the easier side quests as I get my character stronger.

Chameleon would make you visible if you took any aggressive action, such as stealing or attacking, but invisibility was different. I think it was designed that you were only supposed to be at 20% invisibility, meaning you could be invisible if your enemy had a low enough awareness. But if you added several pieces with 20%, the effect was cumulative, so you could be completely invisible to every enemy. Closing down Oblivion gates was a cakewalk, when you could walk right up to the Sigil Stone without ever being attacked once...

About 4 hours into Skyrim now. Spending time doing some of the easier side quests as I get my character stronger.

I will say this....It's all funny pissing off a giant until they attack :annoyed:

Guest Shoreline

Yeah you had confused Chameleon for Invisibility. I picked up on this because I've played countless hours on the ES series so am excessively familiar with game breaking spells like Chameleon. :P

As far as Oblivion went the spell code is as follows:

Chameleon = M% Chameleon for D seconds

Invisibility = Invisibility for D seconds

So Invisibility has always been an off/on switch, either the spell is active and 100% or it's not and off, and as soon as you pick a lock, cast a spell, observe an item, talk to a person, open a door, anything at all other than just move around, it's gone so there's no feasible way to steal/kill with Invisibility which is why they didn't give you an option of using Sigil Stones to enchant Invisibility on an item in Oblivion, learning from the uselessness of it from Morrowind. Chameleon on the other hand, always a degree of Chameleon that makes the person's appearance more transparent (I avoid the word "Invisibility" so as not to cause confusion) based on the viewing mob/NPC's level, detection strength, player's level, and of course the strength (%M) of Chameleon. Unfortunately I stopped using Chameleon after Morrowind because the spell was simply too much of a gamebreaker. It was easy to find enchanted Chameleon gear in Oblivion, plus usage of Sigil Stones, to keep one's self 100% Chameleon perpetually, which is just way too imba for my tastes. :/

hillbillywingsfan ugh those things beat my ass the first couple times I encountered them in some snow pit. I was still healing myself after a pretty rough encounter with a pit of bandits I accidentally ran into while trying to run toward the Winterhold College when I happened to fall into a pit with a Giant and those things are a huge pain to kill at level 1. :lol:

Speaking of levels, I just reached level 4 finally, wasn't even paying attention to the fact that I leveled so many skills on the way I could level a few times, then just trained a couple more when I got to Winterhold -- in the College they have a ton of trainers for magic-related skills.

If there's another complaint I might add, if I didn't already ***** about it, is the UI is excessively clunky and compared to Morrowind+Oblivion alone I find myself spending a great deal more time sifting through menus than I'm comfortable with. If there's a mod that changes this I will happily download it. No idea what the developers were thinking.

Guest Crymson

But even if it was just me alone it would take me a long time. I'm the type thats going to take time and explore everything. I still haven't even did the first part of the main quest yet and im already at lvl 11 hahahaha

The game world is enormous. I've played a huge amount, and I've still not really explored any of the cities aside from Whiterun. More, I've only recently reached Ulrich's stronghold.

A tip to everyone: don't take the carriage to any city. Go there on foot (or on horse). You'll find a lot of cool stuff on the way.

I'm currently playing an archer/two-handed/mage mix. In my opinion, this is the best build for leveling up; you're using all sorts of skills (one-handed, archery, light armor, various magics). I'm also doing a bunch of smithing and enchanting, which this game has somehow managed to make into a fun activity rather than the common drudgery it is in most games of this sort.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Shoreline

The game world is enormous. I've played a huge amount, and I've still not really explored any of the cities aside from Whiterun. More, I've only recently reached Ulrich's stronghold.

A tip to everyone: don't take the carriage to any city. Go there on foot (or on horse). You'll find a lot of cool stuff on the way.

I'm currently playing an archer/two-handed/mage mix. In my opinion, this is the best build for leveling up; you're using all sorts of skills (one-handed, archery, light armor, various magics). I'm also doing a bunch of smithing and enchanting, which this game has somehow managed to make into a fun activity rather than the common drudgery it is in most games of this sort.

Indeed, the more skills you level up, the faster you level.

On the other hand, I'd recommend focusing on a more specific amount, say, 5 skills or so. In my case, being a pure mage that on a rare occasion uses a bow, it's Destruction, Restoration, Conjuration, Alteration, Illusion, and later Marksman, Alchemy, and Enchanting. Some mobs and dungeons aren't like Oblivion that scale with your level, instead, they just plain beat your ass, so the better the skills, the better it is for you in dungeons.

Wow, I didn't even bother to check and see if there was a thread here for this game until now. I got this game at the midnight release and have played it on average 3 hours a day since it's came out. I also bought MW3 but that's another story.

This game is so good you can't even describe it. You just have to play. I have a Level 26 Nord warrior with 'Dawnbreaker' as my sword which is an awesome daedric artifact I found just by wandering aimlessly. I already won the war with the Empire :sly: The rebels never stood a chance. I just now am starting to do a couple main quest missions. I always like to hold off on those as long as possible.

I have to say, the Decapitation perk for one handed weapons could be the most entertaining and satisfying finisher of any game. As sick as that might sound haha. Dual wielding and finishing off a pesky bandit gladiator execution style is great.

I have the game for 360 and the visuals are amazing so I can only imagine someone with maxed settings on a PC is playing with.