• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shoreline

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Rate this topic

I'm so jealous of people who say they are level 20's and 30's. I'm only level 8 at this point, trying to increase my magicka and decrease my magicka spell costs. Combined with the Warrior Stone blessing, my one handed skills are skyrocketing, so I'm kinda working this whole "Battlemage" angle with my character.

The last main quest mission I did was to travel to High Hrothgar to receive Shout training. Been doing a ton of sidequests and exploration since then.

*update* First random dragon encounter today. Holy crap, that was intense.

This game really is brilliant, it's had me sucked in since the night it was released and i'm still addicted. It's easily one of the best RPG's available anywhere, and by far the largest single player game to date.

I'm currently a level 43 Imperial, specializing in Archery, Destruction, One Handed and Blacksmithing.

From what I understand the level cap is 80, compared to 30 as it was set in Oblivion and Fallout 3 before expansions. With the addition of random quest generation, the game doesn't end until you decide to just put it down. It's an investment of your time and life, and I forewarn onlookers considering picking this game up that it's horribly addictive and may cause fury spells from your spouse.

This game really is brilliant, it's had me sucked in since the night it was released and i'm still addicted. It's easily one of the best RPG's available anywhere, and by far the largest single player game to date.

I'm currently a level 43 Imperial, specializing in Archery, Destruction, One Handed and Blacksmithing.

From what I understand the level cap is 80, compared to 30 as it was set in Oblivion and Fallout 3 before expansions. With the addition of random quest generation, the game doesn't end until you decide to just put it down. It's an investment of your time and life, and I forewarn onlookers considering picking this game up that it's horribly addictive and may cause fury spells from your spouse.

Agreed on the brilliance of it all.

I'm a lvl 31 dual-handed fireball slinging badass with decent restoration skills thrown in. I'm working my enchanting/blacksmithing up as well. If I ever find the Steed Stone that eliminates armor weight I'll be a blight on the land. I am also working the archery skill set when I can, can't overstate how a good bow eases your way around.

If you head West out of Solitude you will run into Wolfskull Cave. The Steed Stone is just North of that location. It's invaluable and it's pretty much the only stone i've used since I found it. With 180 stamina and that stone being used my carry weight is 440. I've found myself that Archery and Blacksmithing are two of the more important ones to try and rank up.

I'm very deep into this game, if anyone has any questions you can direct them to me and i'll try to answer what I can.

If you head West out of Solitude you will run into Wolfskull Cave. The Steed Stone is just North of that location. It's invaluable and it's pretty much the only stone i've used since I found it. With 180 stamina and that stone being used my carry weight is 440. I've found myself that Archery and Blacksmithing are two of the more important ones to try and rank up.

I'm very deep into this game, if anyone has any questions you can direct them to me and i'll try to answer what I can.

I have one. I'm taking my time and doing the side quests. Haven't even done the first main quest part. lvl 14. But....I was wondering should i do the main quest first finish it then do the side quests...or is doing the side quests first ok?

I have one. I'm taking my time and doing the side quests. Haven't even done the first main quest part. lvl 14. But....I was wondering should i do the main quest first finish it then do the side quests...or is doing the side quests first ok?

As much time as I have put into the game, i'm only about 3 quests into the main storyline. For me, most of the appeal to the game lies in the wide variety of side quests and encounters that you run into, you get an opportunity to learn the game and certain skills better, and find better and unique gear.

Regardless if you do the main storyline first, last, or somewhere inbetween it isn't going to effect any progress or dynamics of the game as a whole. It's seamless enough that you can play it how you want, it's just how much you really want to invest into it.

I also recommend saving your perk points that you receive after leveling up. You can let them sit there until you figure out what kind of character you want to play as and what direction you want to go. I started off planning on being a sword and shield guy and turned out pretty much the opposite. It worked out because I didn't waste perk points in areas that I wasn't going to use later on.

As much time as I have put into the game, i'm only about 3 quests into the main storyline. For me, most of the appeal to the game lies in the wide variety of side quests and encounters that you run into, you get an opportunity to learn the game and certain skills better, and find better and unique gear.

Regardless if you do the main storyline first, last, or somewhere inbetween it isn't going to effect any progress or dynamics of the game as a whole. It's seamless enough that you can play it how you want, it's just how much you really want to invest into it.

I also recommend saving your perk points that you receive after leveling up. You can let them sit there until you figure out what kind of character you want to play as and what direction you want to go. I started off planning on being a sword and shield guy and turned out pretty much the opposite. It worked out because I didn't waste perk points in areas that I wasn't going to use later on.

I think the only thing I'm missing is seeing dragons. Is it a few quests in the main before i see them and get to start using the shouts? I have gotten a few shouts but can't use them yet.

I think the only thing I'm missing is seeing dragons. Is it a few quests in the main before i see them and get to start using the shouts? I have gotten a few shouts but can't use them yet.

I didn't start seeing a lot of dragons until after you kill the dragon near whiterun, and high hrothgar calls you.

I'm 40 hours into this game, and have barely scratched the surface of the main quest. Delving into the random dungeons and forts is actually fun this time around, it felt like a chore in Oblivion. The dragon attacks are some of the most epic battles I've seen in a game, especially when you get attacked while in a town. So much fun watching the dragons toss townspeople around like rag dolls while you pump it full of arrows.

I'm really digging the perk system they implemented, lots of customization potential here. Wish they had included as many dialog options as they did in Fallout: New Vegas though. It feels like most responses are pretty black and white, no grey areas for evil characters.

Yeah I know in the first few quests you learn the Unrelenting Force Shout, if you have some already but can't use them try highlighting the shout in the magic menu and hit the X button (xbox 360) or the Square button (PS3) to spend a dragon soul and unlock it. Each time you slay a dragon you gain one soul to spend on Shouts and it took me a little while to realize how to unlock the shouts I had found.

Dragon encounters should come randomly as long as you aren't fast traveling everywhere. I began to see a lot at the Mage's College in Winterhold and continue to run into a few while travelling on foot. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a few of the main storyline quests til you meet the Greybeards and they teach you the first three-word shout. Whether or not the progress effects the frequency of dragons i'm not entirely sure, I think it more has to do with your skill level. i've probably encountered and slayed about 40 dragons, but it seems like since i've broken level 40 that i'm encountering two at a time at points instead of one and seem to be fighting them more often.

Yeah I know in the first few quests you learn the Unrelenting Force Shout, if you have some already but can't use them try highlighting the shout in the magic menu and hit the X button (xbox 360) or the Square button (PS3) to spend a dragon soul and unlock it. Each time you slay a dragon you gain one soul to spend on Shouts and it took me a little while to realize how to unlock the shouts I had found.

Dragon encounters should come randomly as long as you aren't fast traveling everywhere. I began to see a lot at the Mage's College in Winterhold and continue to run into a few while travelling on foot. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a few of the main storyline quests til you meet the Greybeards and they teach you the first three-word shout. Whether or not the progress effects the frequency of dragons i'm not entirely sure, I think it more has to do with your skill level. i've probably encountered and slayed about 40 dragons, but it seems like since i've broken level 40 that i'm encountering two at a time at points instead of one and seem to be fighting them more often.

I also seem to always get a dragon encounter when I'm near a dragon burial ground (those big round depressions in the ground). If you go along the main quest a bit, you end up finding a map of all the burial grounds.

Heres a few tips and tricks that i've learned along the way, some that can potentially impact your progress.

Save the Dark Brotherhood for last! Reason why I say this is because it's a group of assassins and your quests primarily consist of killing off certain characters. If you aren't careful, you CAN kill off a character that is part of another side quest in the game causing it to not unlock or fail if you have it active already. Be cautious about who you kill if you decide to make the Brotherhood one of the first things you do.

Iron Ingots and Leather Strips are your friend. Collect them and save them, don't sell them off. Use them to make Iron Daggers at a blacksmith forge. If you can stand there and make 80-100 iron daggers at a time your smithing skill will skyrocket. You can go from a 25 to a 50 in a matter of minutes using this trick. If you decide to buy the iron ingots and leather strips, even if you sell off all the iron daggers you craft, you will lose money. If you can afford to let go of 2000-3000 gold then you can get your smithing to 100 within an hour.

Even if you don't use spells, purchase the Illusion spell tome called "Muffle". It simply silences your movement for 30 seconds and is low cost to cast. Early levels every 2-3 times you cast it you will level up Illusion, as stated above, doing this for an extended period of time even if you are just walking to a new destination your illusion skill level will climb rapidly. Even if you don't plan on using illusion ever, it still adds XP to your overall character level, and free XP is good XP.

Draw away Dragons from towns and cities, kill them as fast as possible. Nothing is worse than defeating a dragon in your favorite town just to see the corpses of shop owners laying around that you can no longer sell/buy from because well, they are dead. They do not respawn, they stay dead and you lose a trader for the remainder of your game.

If you elect to join the Stormcloaks, you are given an opportunity to get rid of annoyances. SPOILER ALERT If you do not wish to have a quest revealed that you have not yet experienced, do not read on.

One of your first missions as a Stormcloak is to raid Whiterun and clear the city of the imperial control. During the attack, the city is fair game. If that beggar that asks you for a gold piece and assures you that you can afford it begins to bother you, considering it occurs every single time you enter the city, you may "accidentally" drop your sword on his forehead and get rid of him for good without penalty. Same goes for that forever-preaching Talos monk that is in the middle of Whiterun that never seems to sleep or shut up. Taking out minor characters during war battles will not cause any bounty on your head, just be cautious of who you do decide to slay.

Upgrade Upgrade Upgrade. Get a new weapon? Upgrade it. Better yet, go to your local potion dealer and find a blacksmith's potion (ideally the Blacksmith's Elixir) and you can upgrade your weapon to be even stronger. I took a sword with 25 damage, wore a ring and necklace of smithing, took a blacksmith's elixir and amped up the damage to 91. Potions only last 30 seconds unless you are well adept in Alchemy so craft fast. On top of this, you may go enchant the item as well to infuse additional fire, ice, electric damage making for an even more powerful weapon. There's always room for improvement on weapons and armor, get very familiar with your local blacksmith and the equipment available to use. This is vital to not getting your ass kicked later on in the game as it gets much harder at later levels.

Lastly, don't be afraid to kick the difficulty level down a notch or two. It will not affect gained experience or any achievement progress. If you are getting turned away from this game due to the difficulty level set it to Novice and enjoy. It's still relatively challenging and can still help you overcome the current hump you can't quite get over on Normal difficulty. There's no shame on making things easier until you learn the game better.

Iron Ingots and Leather Strips are your friend. Collect them and save them, don't sell them off. Use them to make Iron Daggers at a blacksmith forge. If you can stand there and make 80-100 iron daggers at a time your smithing skill will skyrocket. You can go from a 25 to a 50 in a matter of minutes using this trick. If you decide to buy the iron ingots and leather strips, even if you sell off all the iron daggers you craft, you will lose money. If you can afford to let go of 2000-3000 gold then you can get your smithing to 100 within an hour.

Draw away Dragons from towns and cities, kill them as fast as possible. Nothing is worse than defeating a dragon in your favorite town just to see the corpses of shop owners laying around that you can no longer sell/buy from because well, they are dead. They do not respawn, they stay dead and you lose a trader for the remainder of your game.

You have to be careful with that smithing tip. Leveling smithing will cause your character to level as well. What happens then is that the game levels up the monsters in the game. Now you're in a situation where you have a high smithing skill, but your combat skills are still very weak, causing you to get your butt handed to you left and right.

I thought that if a shop owner died, another town resident was supposed to come and take their place after a period of time? I remember reading a developer interview that this was worked into the new radiant AI in the game.

Thats a good point, but another aspect is if you decide to put all the perks into smithing you can create Daedra Weapons and Dragon Armor, both are intended to support a high level character. If you smith armor and weapons of this class, in my experience, it balances out the lack of combat skill because of the strength of the equipment.

As far as the eventual replacement of shop owners and traders, i'm honestly not sure. I know the radiant AI prevents you from killing any characters that are tied into the storyline or quests, you can hack at them all day and they just cower and eventually get back up. Anytime I had a shop owner fall during a combat sequence I just reloaded my last autosave so I wouldn't lose those characters. I know in Morrowind and Oblivion once they are dead they are gone for good. Whether or not the new radiant AI adapts to shop keepers is to be seen, I may experiment and kill off a shop owner that I never use and see what happens and let you know for sure.

AT LAST. After about a week and a half, I FINALLY get to play again. My fiance and the baby are over at her mom's house, so I've got an empty house for the evening, and no responsibilities.

Wait, what am I doing? Why am I on LGW instead of playing?

Yep. Learned that the hard way.

Giant > Level 5 Breton

I just lure those two giants West (I think) of Whiterun towards the city, get up on the stable roof and fire arrows at them. Cheap? Yes... but it's hilarious to watch them get mad and try to reach me.

I just lure those two giants West (I think) of Whiterun towards the city, get up on the stable roof and fire arrows at them. Cheap? Yes... but it's hilarious to watch them get mad and try to reach me.

I seen a video of someone killing a mammoth while standing behind a big boulder. Keeping the boulder between them and the mammoth while shooting them with the bow n arrow. I bet that would work for a giant.

What a great game, very easy to get pulled in to.

I'm almost level 41, sneaky one handed dual axe wielding heavy armor wearer.

The amount of side quests you can stumble upon is insane.

I have the entire weekend at home alone. Fiance and the baby are on a road trip to Oklahoma.

Skyrim looks to feature prominently in my plans for this weekend...

...and sleep. LOTS of sleep.

There was a new patch released for this game fixing some current issues with the game a day or two ago. For anyone like myself experiencing the glitch causing the "Blood on the Ice" quest to not unlock properly the fix is coming in early January. This current glitch is preventing this quest from being completed and also prevents you from purchasing property in Windhelm. The glitch is currently only affecting some people but not all, if you've heard ramblings about The Butcher in Windhelm but haven't found the quest the glitch is probably the issue. Ill post when the official patch release date is announced.

Wow. Game is still outstanding. Still finding stuff to do. I'm level 52 with most of the warrior skills maxxed or close. I have to admit, once I crafted a full set of Legendary Daedric gear and double enchanted it all, combat is kind of dull. The only thing that can really match me are ancient dragons. Still a lot of fun....someday I may actually get back on the main quest story line.

Yeah i'm about the same, 54 I think. Its been a few days since i've played it but I did finish the main storyline and you get a pretty awesome shout for completing it. If you are finding that combat is becoming a bit tedious then go questing and find some shouts, as there are a lot of unique and amazing ones. With downloadable content on the way there's gonna be a lot to do in Skyrim for a long time.

Thanks guys, finally joined the college of winterhold. Did my first quest. Also disenchanted a few things that were meaningless to me, so I am going to work on that. I just am having a hard time deciding what I pant to spend my "perks" on for my skill set. I've used a few on sneak, deciding what to spend the majority of them on though... Any suggestions on that? I am a dark elf. I think i might use light armor since if i use a lot of magic, wearing robes doesn't provide much armor. Also maybe pick pocketing, love to ****** peoples stuff :P

Side note, anyone that plays this have you had any of the "hired thugs" after you? I had three attack me in Riverwoods and I killed them all, then looted their bodies to find one had a note on who hired them to kill me, love the small things in a game like this.

I would just save your perks for the time being, figure out what aspects of the game you enjoy and want to improve on. I'm currently a level 55 and have Smithing, Archery, Destruction, Lock Picking, One-Handed, Heavy Armor, and Speech at 100 and that is absolutely not the route I thought I was going to take when I first started playing. You can't move your perks once they are placed so choose carefully and don't feel like you gotta spend a point just because you have one. You also need to consider that if you want to invest in pick pocketing that you cannot sell stolen items until you join the thieves guild or you get enough perks into your speech to be able to resell stolen goods.

Remember the level cap is 80 so that's how many perks you will be able to spend if you commit that far into the game. It sounds like a lot, but theres around 300 perk slots in the skill tree so technically it's really not a lot. Good luck and keep posting in this thread, I'm always checking back to offer help and advice.

I'm lvl 48 and maxed out archery and sneaking. I'm deadly at distance and can stay hidden the whole while, even against multiple enemies as long as I don't get cocky. I did the thief's guild quests and am now the head honcho of the guild. I think it's worth it to spend enough pts in speech to at least get shopkeepers where they will buy everything from you. If you can afford it spend enough to get them to buy stolen goods too. I have gold coming out my ass now and don't have a clue what to spend it on.