• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shoreline

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Rate this topic

Of course it will be! We have you, softshoes, and me at the very least that will play this game, and want to discuss it.

I'm wicked excited for ME3.

That said, I've got a full evening tonight for Skyrim, and I plan on using it. Last time I played I was fairly close to completing the main quest. (The World Eater's Eyrie or however it's spelled).

*edit* ...and, done! Completed the main story last night. Very well done.

Now, it's on to something else. Although I still have at least the Stormcloak/Imperial campaign and the Companions quests to do, I need a bit of a break from this one.

Awesome, the end of the game was pretty epic wasn't it? The shouts you aquire are very cool also, and I like that they leave it open ended that you may go back and finish the other quests. Fallout 3 ended once you finished the story until they released the Broken Steel DLC that allowed you to continue.

For those of us that are pretty much finished with Skyrim and waiting for expansions, I found a worthy replacement that will take up a lot more of your time. Its a game called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and the best way to describe it is if Skyrim had Fable's baby. It plays and looks like Fable, in 3rd person view with a bright and colorful fantasy enviornment with excellent combat controls, but it also has the incredible depth of Skyrim. It is also a mass looting game, if you aren't familiar, that's the style of game that Diablo is, millions of random pieces of gear throughout the game, so you are constantly upgrading and changing. In Skyrim and Fable, there's a set amount of weapons, probably a few dozen, but this far surpasses that which I love in an RPG.

There's already talk on gaming sites that Kingdoms of Amalur may be in discussion for game of the year, it's expansive and fun, and you can easily sink 80+ hours into the game. I purchased it and i'm very addicted at this point, even though it fell under the radar and hasn't been advertised well, it's an excellent title worthy of your time and is the perfect cure for your Skyrim hangover. There's a downloadable demo available, so give it a look. I recommend it highly to any RPG fan.

Guest Crymson

Of course it will be! We have you, softshoes, and me at the very least that will play this game, and want to discuss it.

I'm wicked excited for ME3.

I've never been so excited for a game before. ME2 is my favorite game ever. It's like an interactive movie. Sometimes I got so into it that I forgot it was a game. I don't necessarily expect ME3 to top it, but yeah, I just can't wait.

For those of us that are pretty much finished with Skyrim and waiting for expansions, I found a worthy replacement that will take up a lot more of your time. Its a game called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and the best way to describe it is if Skyrim had Fable's baby. It plays and looks like Fable, in 3rd person view with a bright and colorful fantasy enviornment with excellent combat controls, but it also has the incredible depth of Skyrim. It is also a mass looting game, if you aren't familiar, that's the style of game that Diablo is, millions of random pieces of gear throughout the game, so you are constantly upgrading and changing. In Skyrim and Fable, there's a set amount of weapons, probably a few dozen, but this far surpasses that which I love in an RPG.

If anyone's in the mood for a grand strategy game, I suggest trying out Crusader Kings 2. It's marvelous.

That said, I've got a full evening tonight for Skyrim, and I plan on using it. Last time I played I was fairly close to completing the main quest. (The World Eater's Eyrie or however it's spelled).

For a second there I saw "World Eaters" and thought it was something WH40K-related. I'd love it if Bethesda created a WH40K game along these lines. It would probably be terrifying, but it would be amazing.

I've got a long list of games i'd like to see Bethesda do, haven't really considered Warhammer though. I played Kill Team and Space Marine recently and it's really the first two i've played of the series. I know there's a cult following so I may backtrack and try some earlier titles.

Guest Crymson

I've got a long list of games i'd like to see Bethesda do, haven't really considered Warhammer though. I played Kill Team and Space Marine recently and it's really the first two i've played of the series. I know there's a cult following so I may backtrack and try some earlier titles.

Try Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2. Dawn of War is a traditional RTS (albeit revolutionary in some fashions); Dawn of War 2 is an RTS, but with a lot of RPG qualities. If you get the former, get Platinum Edition; it's got a tremendous amount of content. Avoid Soulstorm, though; whereas Winter Assault and Dark Crusade (both included in Platinum Edition) are excellent expansions, Soulstorm is garbage. Chaos Rising and Retribution are the two expansions for Dawn of War 2. Chaos Rising is great; Retribution is mediocre.

They're both great games, and the WH40K universe is a lot of fun.

Try Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2. Dawn of War is a traditional RTS (albeit revolutionary in some fashions); Dawn of War 2 is an RTS, but with a lot of RPG qualities. If you get the former, get Platinum Edition; it's got a tremendous amount of content. Avoid Soulstorm, though; whereas Winter Assault and Dark Crusade (both included in Platinum Edition) are excellent expansions, Soulstorm is garbage. Chaos Rising and Retribution are the two expansions for Dawn of War 2. Chaos Rising is great; Retribution is mediocre.

They're both great games, and the WH40K universe is a lot of fun.

Right on, i'll give em a look. I'm always down for a good RTS and i'm sure I can pick these up at Frys for a decent price. I believe that Dawn of War 2 is on Xbox but I much prefer RTS games on a PC so i'll look for that first, thanks for the recommendations.

The game has been patched to the point where most if not all issues, bugs, etc have been fixed. A recent update has also enabled the Kinect to be used while playing Skyrim which was previously not an available feature.

Now we sit back and wait for the first release of downloadable content, i'm looking forward to it.

The game has been patched to the point where most if not all issues, bugs, etc have been fixed. A recent update has also enabled the Kinect to be used while playing Skyrim which was previously not an available feature.

Now we sit back and wait for the first release of downloadable content, i'm looking forward to it.

I am very intrigued with this game but I haven't bought it yet. I'm a little scared. I have recently gotten hooked on rpg's but I played Oblivion a few years ago and just couldn't get into it. However, I couldn't put Dragon Age down and absolutely loved it and KOTOR is one of my favorite games. I'm just not sure I will get into Skyrim as much as I did with those games and I am a school teacher so I don't have much gaming time except during the summer and like to get the most out of what time and money I do have to play video games.

Any input would be nice.

Thanks.

I am very intrigued with this game but I haven't bought it yet. I'm a little scared. I have recently gotten hooked on rpg's but I played Oblivion a few years ago and just couldn't get into it. However, I couldn't put Dragon Age down and absolutely loved it and KOTOR is one of my favorite games. I'm just not sure I will get into Skyrim as much as I did with those games and I am a school teacher so I don't have much gaming time except during the summer and like to get the most out of what time and money I do have to play video games.

Any input would be nice.

Thanks.

It really is more of a project than a game if I can be honest. I've invested over 200 hours into it and still have some stuff to do before i'm done. The problem is for people who are strapped for time and limited to 1 hour gaming sessions that it makes games like Skyrim and Oblivion hard to get into. They are time consumers and unfortunately if you don't invest time into it you really won't enjoy it as a casual pick up and play game. You really can't play the game for an hour or two and determine if you like it or not, you really got to dive in deep to see it's full potential and appreciate how massive it is.

I think the game is excellent, and incredibly vast and deep, and will most likely be nominated for Game of the Year. So to answer your question, if you are looking for something to play over the summer that you will get a lot of value out of and can run a gaming marathon with, then definitely pick up Skyrim because it will take you half the summer to get through. If you are looking for something now while you are still on a busy schedule, you may want to look elsewhere.

It really is more of a project than a game if I can be honest. I've invested over 200 hours into it and still have some stuff to do before i'm done. The problem is for people who are strapped for time and limited to 1 hour gaming sessions that it makes games like Skyrim and Oblivion hard to get into. They are time consumers and unfortunately if you don't invest time into it you really won't enjoy it as a casual pick up and play game. You really can't play the game for an hour or two and determine if you like it or not, you really got to dive in deep to see it's full potential and appreciate how massive it is.

I think the game is excellent, and incredibly vast and deep, and will most likely be nominated for Game of the Year. So to answer your question, if you are looking for something to play over the summer that you will get a lot of value out of and can run a gaming marathon with, then definitely pick up Skyrim because it will take you half the summer to get through. If you are looking for something now while you are still on a busy schedule, you may want to look elsewhere.

Thank you. I will probably wait till summer.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't drop into this topic before, but I'm a huge Skyrim fan. I'm just now getting near the end of the game -- on purpose, since I'm a completionist and have to do the side quests first -- and should finish it this weekend. Before I did the 2nd or 3rd main quest story (introduction of the Blades) I went through and completed the Dark Brotherhood questline (awesome!), Mages Guild, Thieves Guild and the Companions, got all of the houses, finished the Civil War and raised my Smithing, Enchanting, One-Handed and Speechcraft levels to 100. Since then my Archery is at 100, Heavy Armor 100, and Lockpicking at 95.

As of last night I'm a lvl 60 and the only achievements left outside of the main story questline is getting 20 shouts (1 left for obvious reasons), the 'restoring' Thieves Guild quest (which seems like a ludicrous number of quests that's a ***** to track) and ones related to causing mayhem (pick 50 locks/pickpocket 50, break out of jail, 1000 bounty in all 9 holds, etc.). I'm down to the last Dragon Priest mask (again, for obvious reasons) and I've got 3 single Words of Power to learn before I have the 3-pack for the 19 I know all down. (Getting the last three from the Greybeards before I don't have a further need for them -- also relates to a story quest). Getting the Oblivion Walker achievement was nice, too, as those missions were pretty fun.

I really hammered down (no pun intended) on Smithing and Enchanting really early, got the Steed Stone (and never used anything else) to go with a full set of Daedric armor and weapons. I've amped those up with a ring/amulet set I crafted and my Daedric Bow does 256 damage -- Giants are down in two arrows (almost one... one takes it about 3/4 of the way). My Daedric swords (I dual wield) each do 156 each. (No hacking/boosting here, this was all through ramping up Alchemy to make stronger potions for Enchanting and Blacksmithing, or buying those potions, and then using them when Smithing/Enchanting while wearing apparel -- hat/ring/gloves/amulet/clothing -- that boosted Smithing.)

I feel like a walking God of Death. The only things that do any damage to me at all is magic (Armor Rating is 594 with a carry of 620) and the odd overpowered Forsaken. Virtually everything else hits me and does not affect my health at all. (It's amusing coming across bandits and just standing there as they wail away, their weapons doing nothing, as I line up a point-blank arrow shot.)

Wow, I can't believe I didn't drop into this topic before, but I'm a huge Skyrim fan. I'm just now getting near the end of the game -- on purpose, since I'm a completionist and have to do the side quests first -- and should finish it this weekend. Before I did the 2nd or 3rd main quest story (introduction of the Blades) I went through and completed the Dark Brotherhood questline (awesome!), Mages Guild, Thieves Guild and the Companions, got all of the houses, finished the Civil War and raised my Smithing, Enchanting, One-Handed and Speechcraft levels to 100. Since then my Archery is at 100, Heavy Armor 100, and Lockpicking at 95.

As of last night I'm a lvl 60 and the only achievements left outside of the main story questline is getting 20 shouts (1 left for obvious reasons), the 'restoring' Thieves Guild quest (which seems like a ludicrous number of quests that's a ***** to track) and ones related to causing mayhem (pick 50 locks/pickpocket 50, break out of jail, 1000 bounty in all 9 holds, etc.). I'm down to the last Dragon Priest mask (again, for obvious reasons) and I've got 3 single Words of Power to learn before I have the 3-pack for the 19 I know all down. (Getting the last three from the Greybeards before I don't have a further need for them -- also relates to a story quest). Getting the Oblivion Walker achievement was nice, too, as those missions were pretty fun.

I really hammered down (no pun intended) on Smithing and Enchanting really early, got the Steed Stone (and never used anything else) to go with a full set of Daedric armor and weapons. I've amped those up with a ring/amulet set I crafted and my Daedric Bow does 256 damage -- Giants are down in two arrows (almost one... one takes it about 3/4 of the way). My Daedric swords (I dual wield) each do 156 each. (No hacking/boosting here, this was all through ramping up Alchemy to make stronger potions for Enchanting and Blacksmithing, or buying those potions, and then using them when Smithing/Enchanting while wearing apparel -- hat/ring/gloves/amulet/clothing -- that boosted Smithing.)

I feel like a walking God of Death. The only things that do any damage to me at all is magic (Armor Rating is 594 with a carry of 620) and the odd overpowered Forsaken. Virtually everything else hits me and does not affect my health at all. (It's amusing coming across bandits and just standing there as they wail away, their weapons doing nothing, as I line up a point-blank arrow shot.)

You seem to be on about the same pace as I am, although i've taken a break for Mass Effect 3. I believe I have 870 achievement score out of 1000 for Skyrim and i'm a level 58, I did find all the shouts but everything else you mentioned I am still trying to unlock as well. I also need to find all the Daedra artifacts for that achievement, i've only found about 8 or 9. Once I invest about another 5-6 hours into ME3 I should be at 1000/1000 and go back to Skyrim to finish those off.

Much like you said also, I refused to use any exploits in this game such as level boosting with speech challenges and blacksmithing. It takes from the pace of the game if you boost it up, and it's usually my approach for any game i'm playing.

Jerm8352 I sent you a friend request on xbox live last night if you wanna accept and get me on your list. I play a ton of games and i'm always available to help out. :thumbup:

Finished it over the weekend. I thought the ending was great, I got all of the achievements except for the "building" the Thieves Guild, the 1000 bounty in all 9 holds, and picking 50 pockets. Other than that I've gotten everything, including the gold Dragon Priest mask.

The only thing that was disappointing was the final fight -- since my character was built up so strong the "epicness" of the battle was lost when I defeated him in about 10 seconds. Oh well, I kind of knew that heading in. Was still pretty cool.

Can't wait for some DLC!

(Time to bust ME3 out of the plastic.)

I ended up buying this the other day but I prolly won't get to it until summer. My xbox decided to die on me so as I was comparing prices online, I found a deal on walmart.com for 230 bucks for a 4gb xbox, a second controller and a game of your choice. This is quite the deal as I can get a 250 gb harddrive on amazon for like 85 bucks. The total comes out to be 315 for the whole thing as opposed to 300 for the 320 gb hd xbox. I basically got skyrim and another controller for 15 bucks. I was happy.

So I finally started playing this and it is amazing. I have two problems though. The first one is how to keep Lydia alive. She continues to die. I keep her around to hold onto loot for me and help with dragons, but everytime I go into a dungeon or tomb or something, she ends up dying. Any tips? My other problem is enchanting weapons. I can't seem to find a place to do this. Where and how do I do this? Thanks a lot.

Guest Shoreline

So I finally started playing this and it is amazing. I have two problems though. The first one is how to keep Lydia alive. She continues to die. I keep her around to hold onto loot for me and help with dragons, but everytime I go into a dungeon or tomb or something, she ends up dying. Any tips? My other problem is enchanting weapons. I can't seem to find a place to do this. Where and how do I do this? Thanks a lot.

Willow ftw.. in fact, temporarily changing the subject, Willow for the NES was my first RPG, my mom rented out a room in the house to a guy who played that game and we mapped the entire game on giant pieces of cardboard which we placed on the gaming room walls. Helped quite a bit since I was what.. 8 years old? ;)

So to attempt and answer your questions.. (haven't played Skyrim in months and going purely from memory)

- Lydia shouldn't die unless she's in a type of recovery mode (crouching down) and you hit her with something -- magic with a large radius is the biggest culprit in killing one's own followers. Friendly fire is a nuisance. I've never had a follower die from anything other than myself hitting them accidentally while in recovery. Recovery is when basically they are disabled and regenerating their health, as an enemy effectively killed them, but the game placed a type of flag not allowing them to die. As per a likely bug, your attacks can subsequently finish off your partner.

- To enchant you need a few things:

1. An arcane enchanter, an enchanting table that looks kinda like an alchemist table. The first place I found one playing the game was Anise's Cabin just across the river north of the Guardian Stones. (which you should have run into following that guy at the beginning when you left the cave). In the basement is both an arcane enchanter and an alchemy table. Also, just to note before going in there:

Anise will get pissed off that you found out her secret basement and what she does, a note in there also explains, so once leaving the basement she will become hostile once she detects your presence.

. There are plenty around the rest of the map, the next most prominent place people tend to find them is likely the College of Winterhold, either in the large archmage quarters or the quarters where members sleep.

2. A filled soul gem, preferably Azura's Star, black gem version of Azura's Star, or greater soul gem. Trap souls using soul trap to fill the gem (black soul gems are for trapping people, other ones trap monsters), or some people flat out sell filled gems but they can be costly.

3. An enchanted piece of gear with the type of spell you wish to enchant, which you take to an arcane enchanter table and disenchant (aka destroy) to simply learn that spell for future enchanting.

4. Plain, unenchanted armor or clothes or jewelry or weapons to enchant. Note that certain armor or clothes or weapons only accept certain enchantments. Jewelry is the least restricting on the type of enchantments to add.

Highly advised for better enchantments -- higher Enchant skill, fortify Enchant potions, or gear if there is any... and obviously the more stuff in the Enchant perk tree, the better enchantments, as well as, with max Enchant, two enchantments perk. Higher enchant skill directly effects the potency (for example, with Fortify Health, higher Enchant skill means more Health fortified) of effects used on enchanting, but note on weapons the higher the potency on them (especially the more added damage they do) the more charge they will use per hit/proc. You can recharge by using a filled soul gem in inventory.

Hope that helps, if I made any mistake, sorry, went solely by countless hours of experience. :) I refer you to the UESP which is info heaven on the Elder Scrolls series. I would have linked that site which has a guide that likely explains better but am at work and their local proxy blocked it. I'm too lazy to circumvent it.

Edited by Shoreline

Willow ftw.. in fact, temporarily changing the subject, Willow for the NES was my first RPG, my mom rented out a room in the house to a guy who played that game and we mapped the entire game on giant pieces of cardboard which we placed on the gaming room walls. Helped quite a bit since I was what.. 8 years old? ;)

So to attempt and answer your questions.. (haven't played Skyrim in months and going purely from memory)

- Lydia shouldn't die unless she's in a type of recovery mode (crouching down) and you hit her with something -- magic with a large radius is the biggest culprit in killing one's own followers. Friendly fire is a nuisance. I've never had a follower die from anything other than myself hitting them accidentally while in recovery. Recovery is when basically they are disabled and regenerating their health, as an enemy effectively killed them, but the game placed a type of flag not allowing them to die. As per a likely bug, your attacks can subsequently finish off your partner.

- To enchant you need a few things:

1. An arcane enchanter, an enchanting table that looks kinda like an alchemist table. The first place I found one playing the game was Anise's Cabin just across the river north of the Guardian Stones. (which you should have run into following that guy at the beginning when you left the cave). In the basement is both an arcane enchanter and an alchemy table. Also, just to note before going in there:

Anise will get pissed off that you found out her secret basement and what she does, a note in there also explains, so once leaving the basement she will become hostile once she detects your presence.

. There are plenty around the rest of the map, the next most prominent place people tend to find them is likely the College of Winterhold, either in the large archmage quarters or the quarters where members sleep.

2. A filled soul gem, preferably Azura's Star, black gem version of Azura's Star, or greater soul gem. Trap souls using soul trap to fill the gem (black soul gems are for trapping people, other ones trap monsters), or some people flat out sell filled gems but they can be costly.

3. An enchanted piece of gear with the type of spell you wish to enchant, which you take to an arcane enchanter table and disenchant (aka destroy) to simply learn that spell for future enchanting.

4. Plain, unenchanted armor or clothes or jewelry or weapons to enchant. Note that certain armor or clothes or weapons only accept certain enchantments. Jewelry is the least restricting on the type of enchantments to add.

Highly advised for better enchantments -- higher Enchant skill, fortify Enchant potions, or gear if there is any... and obviously the more stuff in the Enchant perk tree, the better enchantments, as well as, with max Enchant, two enchantments perk. Higher enchant skill directly effects the potency (for example, with Fortify Health, higher Enchant skill means more Health fortified) of effects used on enchanting, but note on weapons the higher the potency on them (especially the more added damage they do) the more charge they will use per hit/proc. You can recharge by using a filled soul gem in inventory.

Hope that helps, if I made any mistake, sorry, went solely by countless hours of experience. :) I refer you to the UESP which is info heaven on the Elder Scrolls series. I would have linked that site which has a guide that likely explains better but am at work and their local proxy blocked it. I'm too lazy to circumvent it.

Thanks a lot. I finally found an enchanting table last night in a dungeon and had never come across one before (probably had but didn't notice or was too focused on something else). Regarding Lydia, I have seen what you mean about her crouching but it seems like when she is doing this that I can "loot" her. Maybe she was actually dead but fell in a way that looked like the crouch heal position. Not sure. Thank you again and Willow is one of my all time favorite movies!

I just started skyrim recently myself. Whiterun is where i do a lot of smithing and enchanting (2 blacksmiths plus the guy inside Warmaiden's for buying leather straps and iron ingots to do the iron dagger spam to raise the Smithing skill. Also there is an enchanter inside the jarl's residence which is good for enchanting the iron daggers you smith to boost your enchanting skill.)

The first DLC content pack titled "Dawnguard" is on it's way, promising an expansive addition to the world of Skyrim. It's currently set for release on June 26th for the Xbox 360 and late July for PS3 and PC. Due to certain exclusivity the Xbox will be seeing the first release of this and future DLC following a release on other platforms about a month later.

I took time away from Skyrim but i'm looking forward to getting back into it once the DLC hits, let's hope its a smooth transition and bugs or complications won't delay it's release.

I would have posted more but I took an arrow to the knee.

Dawnguard is officially out on Xbox and it's 1600 MS points, or $19.99. I just finished downloading it but i'll post up my impressions once I sink some time into this. Been a few months since I last played Skyrim so i'm looking forward to the plunge again.

I too took a few months off of Skyrim after I leveled my character to 81 so I was excited to jump back in with Dawnguard.

I saved just before I had to make a big decision so I could go back and play both forks of the dawnguard questline. To be honest - it doesn't matter much what you as you visit all the new areas, learn the same shouts and spells, and still have the availability to make your big decision after you complete the questline.

Overall, dawnguard is about 10 hours if you complete the sidequests and is pretty entertaining.

I went ahead and merged your new thread with our existing Skyrim discussion. Plenty of good information here.

As well, Skyrim has creeped its way into our "What Are You Playing Now" thread, so browsing through it should give you some useful pointers.

I HIGHLY recommend spending time smithing and enchanting. They build skills fast, and can help you earn gold faster. As well, later in the game they will help you craft (and improve) very powerful weapons and armor.

I recently had to start my Skyrim game over completely from scratch, due to an unavoidable bug. I'm currently a level 15 Wood Elf, specializing in Archery, Alchemy, Smithing and Enchanting. My last game had a bow with base power of 482, and that was with very limited use of Alchemy. I'm positive I can increase that by a few hundred this time around, since I will spend more time in alchemy to create better skill enhancement potions.