• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

They need to either move the All-Star game to after the season is over, to keep interest in hockey going, or get rid of fan balloting. People fifty years from now will be evaluating players on their all-star appearances and assume they were actually all-stars in the traditional sense, instead of just fan favorites regardless of how they're playing.

The fact that Crosby could get voted on without ever playing a game this season exposes the absurdness of the format. Sports historians will say "Crosby was an X-time All-Star" and the number will mean absolutely nothing.

I think you are taking it a little too far. The fans only vote in the starting line up + how often can you say that someone the fans voted in didn't deserve to be there? You can probably find several examples of when certain guys shouldn't have been voted in over other guys, but even if they shouldn't be starting, the vast majority would be all-stars anyway.

In terms of Crosby, all expectations are that he is coming back very soon and the last he played, he was at a level above the competition not seen for a long time (in terms of pure scoring), why wouldn't it make sense for him to be selected to the all star game?

Does Zetterberg officially count as a former All-Star?

I know he's been selected several times, but I don't think he's ever played.

Yes, he's a former all-star, whether he played or not, he was selected.

But I think you are mistaken, he hasn't been selected several times, I think he has only been selected once and he didn't play.

#22 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

what format are you referring to? You have to put "old" into some context.

when i mean old i mean when the votes for the all star game came to how players performed leading up to the game. and yes as to what 55fan said when the game was actually interesting.

#23 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Might as well also give the chosen one some points so he doesn't come back to blank stats.

#24 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

I think you are taking it a little too far. The fans only vote in the starting line up + how often can you say that someone the fans voted in didn't deserve to be there? You can probably find several examples of when certain guys shouldn't have been voted in over other guys, but even if they shouldn't be starting, the vast majority would be all-stars anyway.

In terms of Crosby, all expectations are that he is coming back very soon and the last he played, he was at a level above the competition not seen for a long time (in terms of pure scoring), why wouldn't it make sense for him to be selected to the all star game?

But I think you are mistaken, he hasn't been selected several times, I think he has only been selected once and he didn't play.

hahahah. I never thought of it in those terms. The fact that they put Crosby on the ballot as an all-star for this year even though he hasn't played a game and still has no timetable to return shows that this is a total farce.

I just hope none of the Wings have to participate in the silly little exercise.

I'm voting against all of the Wings. I want our guys to be laying on a beach somewhere during all star weekend.
Do or do not. There is no try

#25 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

I'm voting against all of the Wings. I want our guys to be laying on a beach somewhere during all star weekend.

Never really thought of it that way, but not a bad rationale.

#26 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

Howard outplays the "hottest" goalie in the league and is not considered for the "all-star" sham. Crosby hasn't played in a year and is the headliner.

Is that enough for the die-hard fans of this silly marketing scam that the ASG has become to see the light?

I also will vote against all of the Wings, and hope they are not selected. I am especially happy Jimmy isn't included. All that show does is promote the agenda of the league management and open a door for injury for our guys. I know it's an exhibition, yeah, I know. Most of the injuries I've observed over the years are freak accidents -- accidents which cannot happen if our players are not present.

Too bad, the old games were exciting, before the money and internal politics took over. <_<

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,957 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Howard outplays the "hottest" goalie in the league and is not considered for the "all-star" sham. Crosby hasn't played in a year and is the headliner.

Is that enough for the die-hard fans of this silly marketing scam that the ASG has become to see the light?

I also will vote against all of the Wings, and hope they are not selected. I am especially happy Jimmy isn't included. All that show does is promote the agenda of the league management and open a door for injury for our guys. I know it's an exhibition, yeah, I know. Most of the injuries I've observed over the years are freak accidents -- accidents which cannot happen if our players are not present.

Too bad, the old games were exciting, before the money and internal politics took over. <_<

That's overstating it. People rarely get injured in the ASG.

Personally, if I was an NHL player, I'd love to play in the game. You get to play with players you won't have a chance to play with otherwise. It's the one time where all the best players are gathered under one roof for a hockey game.

Also, there's many NHL'ers who will never get to play in the ASG, who'd give anything for a chance to be there one day. You can't take that for granted.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 12 November 2011 - 12:52 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

If this is Nicky L's last then I would like for him to get selected. Besides if nothing else it gives him a chance to recruit someone to come to the D next year. Cough Weber or Suter Cough.

And I too am troubled by Crosby being on the ballot without having played in a year. I understand he was on fire last year when he went down, but head injuries do funny things to people, who is to say he is still the same player he was before he was knocked out.

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

I wasn't aware the All-Star game was based on past performances. I always thought it was just a gathering of the best players that season. If we start awarding based on past talent, it totally takes away the point in my mind. Not to mention you'll hardly ever have turnover. It should be a show-case of the best performers in the league. It should be a reward for awesome performance.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thing is he was injured before the 2011 All-Star game, wasn't he? So, over the entire time period relevant to the 2012 All-Star game (from the day after the 2011 game until the day the 2012 game happens) Crosby has played zero games. Yeah I'm positive he'd play well enough to make this year's team if he had a chance but how can you vote someone on a team they shouldn't in all fairness be eligible for? Voting for Crosby this year would be like voting for Yzerman or Gretzky this year-- none of the three played hockey in the year leading up to the game...

Is anyone else having trouble selecting Howard as a write-in? I write his name in and it auto-completes (indicating to me that the name in their system must match) but when I click add nothing happens.

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 14 November 2011 - 11:21 AM.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#31 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

well today is the day!
vote now vote now! :) :)

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

As usual, I'm guessing only one Red Wing will play in the game.

Well, so far this season Lidstrom is really the only one playing like an All-Star.

#33 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Well, so far this season Lidstrom is really the only one playing like an All-Star.

Howard is too. And Datsyuk's playing all-star defence but his offence is definitely off.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft