• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Howard is having a brilliant season so far. Applause!

#2 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

Already more shutouts than last season.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#3 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

Indeed! Big month or so for Jimmah.

Keep it up!

#4 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

I may have mentioned this before, but If****** love this guy!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#5 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

:thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#6 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Love him, one of my favourites, which says something considering I am very meh about goalies.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#7 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

The oilers were swarming at times, J-Ho was big and how about an "atta boy" for the D, did a good job clearing pucks!

All around great win.

J-Ho looked great

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#8 Thunderpriest

Thunderpriest

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

I really think that this could be Howard's big year. The team has played awfully in front of him at times, and he still has very good numbers.....and 3 shut-outs already.
If the rest of the team comes around, I think we're looking at a nice deep run in the playoffs.
:)

Is it too soon for me to start another topic about line combinations, though?
It's been a while for me.

Edited by Thunderpriest, 11 November 2011 - 10:10 PM.

"I am the Lord of the wastelands, a modern day man of steel. I gather darkness to please me, and I command you to kneel..."

#9 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

Howard's been great. I love the shutouts, and honestly he would have a couple more if the D/refs hadn't choked in a few games.

Definitely an underrated goalie in this league.

Keep up the good work, Jimmy. :thumbup:
Posted Image

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:54 AM

Being one of his harshest critics the last few years, I think he's proven himself. He's great in the playoffs, even last year when he struggled in the season. He's been great thus far, and let's be honest, he's generally been great when the team needs him.

I think at worst he's going to be another Osgood. Perennial underappreciated, but shows up when we need him to and knows how to win. A more likely scenario is that he's going to be elite, probably starting at the end of this season when he wins us a Cup.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

It's no secret I had great disdain for JHo last season for his incredibly poor play. But this season, as if it were even possible, he is playing even better than his rookie season!

As well as Howard has been playing, though, he's not basking in the glow. Instead, he's deflecting credit toward his teammates by saying they're doing a lot of "great things," on the ice."We have to get through the neutral zone, making teams go a full 200 feet, we're not turning pucks over," Howard said. "We're not seeing a lot of odd-man rushes against. Guys are sacrificing their bodies. It's exciting to play as a goalie when you see that."

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:29 AM

Yep, definately carrying over his form from the playoffs. But crucially, we seem much better defensively this season, shots against seem wayyyyy down - the lowest I can remember since, well, 2008 :o

Just checked, we are 5th in Goals Against and 1st in Shots Against. Like Jimmeh says its a lot easier without all those odd-man rushes...
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#13 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

Leading the league in shutouts(3) with Rinne and Quick! Gotta love Jimmah, he's so underrated.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#14 Norwegian Red Wing

Norwegian Red Wing

He shoots - He SCOOORES!

• HoF Booster
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

Jimmah is king :D
Posted Image

#15 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

he's been really good, lots of confidence can totally see it and has me relaxed watching the games :)

#16 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

And I love that he's being humble about all of it, just like Ozzie. Learned well from him.

All-Star Ballot snub? Bah. Let some lesser goalie like Fleury wear himself out in that meaningless game.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#17 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

All this and producing offspring. What a man.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#18 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Jimmy is an all star. I don't need a meanlingless, lame-ass game to show me.

#19 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

NHL.com posted a few articles praising him.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#20 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Funny how all the naysayers here were saying that we need a better goalie this and that. Jimmy's preseason wasn't good but he's completely erased that and looks stellar. Not that preaseason matters at all in stats for goalies. IMO he's been our best player then Lids (no surprise). Also I think Jimmy is improving which is never a bad thing, I think he's only going to get better.