• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Yay @ Howard

Rate this topic

The oilers were swarming at times, J-Ho was big and how about an "atta boy" for the D, did a good job clearing pucks!

All around great win.

J-Ho looked great

I really think that this could be Howard's big year. The team has played awfully in front of him at times, and he still has very good numbers.....and 3 shut-outs already.

If the rest of the team comes around, I think we're looking at a nice deep run in the playoffs.

:)

Is it too soon for me to start another topic about line combinations, though?

It's been a while for me.

Edited by Thunderpriest

Being one of his harshest critics the last few years, I think he's proven himself. He's great in the playoffs, even last year when he struggled in the season. He's been great thus far, and let's be honest, he's generally been great when the team needs him.

I think at worst he's going to be another Osgood. Perennial underappreciated, but shows up when we need him to and knows how to win. A more likely scenario is that he's going to be elite, probably starting at the end of this season when he wins us a Cup.

It's no secret I had great disdain for JHo last season for his incredibly poor play. But this season, as if it were even possible, he is playing even better than his rookie season!

As well as Howard has been playing, though, he's not basking in the glow. Instead, he's deflecting credit toward his teammates by saying they're doing a lot of "great things," on the ice."We have to get through the neutral zone, making teams go a full 200 feet, we're not turning pucks over," Howard said. "We're not seeing a lot of odd-man rushes against. Guys are sacrificing their bodies. It's exciting to play as a goalie when you see that."

Yep, definately carrying over his form from the playoffs. But crucially, we seem much better defensively this season, shots against seem wayyyyy down - the lowest I can remember since, well, 2008 :o

Just checked, we are 5th in Goals Against and 1st in Shots Against. Like Jimmeh says its a lot easier without all those odd-man rushes...

Funny how all the naysayers here were saying that we need a better goalie this and that. Jimmy's preseason wasn't good but he's completely erased that and looks stellar. Not that preaseason matters at all in stats for goalies. IMO he's been our best player then Lids (no surprise). Also I think Jimmy is improving which is never a bad thing, I think he's only going to get better.

He's been awesome! This is just an observation of mine, but has Howies puck handling skills improved? I mean, he plays it with poise now. Maybe he's learning from Ozzie (top 5 if you ask me when he as playing... very underrated.). I think that's helping too. I can't help but think when he challenges the shooter...he looks like Ozzie. Watch some 2008 Ozzie, then watch Howie this year. Very aggressive! And it works! Last year he would back in into the paint to early.

Just a few little Ozzi-isms...Similar puck handling and, the way they challenge the angle/shooter (only diffrence...Howie has a better 5-hole lol).

Edited by Dynheart

He's been awesome! This is just an observation of mine, but has Howies puck handling skills improved? I mean, he plays it with poise now. Maybe he's learning from Ozzie (top 5 if you ask me when he as playing... very underrated.). I think that's helping too. I can't help but think when he challenges the shooter...he looks like Ozzie. Watch some 2008 Ozzie, then watch Howie this year. Very aggressive! And it works! Last year he would back in into the paint to early.

Just a few little Ozzi-isms...Similar puck handling and, the way they challenge the angle/shooter (only diffrence...Howie has a better 5-hole lol).

2008 Ozzie is a great comparison. I said repeatedly to the Ozzie bashers that year that Ozzie didn't have many shots to face but the ones he did tended to be gilt-edged ones which required a big save. Game last night looked like a case in point, only 24 LAK shots, but 3 or 4 golden opportunities which Jimmeh turned away.

So refreshing to see a Wings goalie carry playoff form into the following season!