• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

Among goalies that have actually played double-digit games Jimmy is second in GAA and SV%, behind only who else, Nik Khabibulin, for all the good that did him last night.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Another great game tonight by Howard.

#23 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

He's been awesome! This is just an observation of mine, but has Howies puck handling skills improved? I mean, he plays it with poise now. Maybe he's learning from Ozzie (top 5 if you ask me when he as playing... very underrated.). I think that's helping too. I can't help but think when he challenges the shooter...he looks like Ozzie. Watch some 2008 Ozzie, then watch Howie this year. Very aggressive! And it works! Last year he would back in into the paint to early.

Just a few little Ozzi-isms...Similar puck handling and, the way they challenge the angle/shooter (only diffrence...Howie has a better 5-hole lol).

Edited by Dynheart, 19 November 2011 - 09:23 PM.

#24 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

Remember when everyone hated him?
Then he turned it on in the playoffs last season and hes no joke now.
Keep it up howie

#25 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:38 AM

He's been awesome! This is just an observation of mine, but has Howies puck handling skills improved? I mean, he plays it with poise now. Maybe he's learning from Ozzie (top 5 if you ask me when he as playing... very underrated.). I think that's helping too. I can't help but think when he challenges the shooter...he looks like Ozzie. Watch some 2008 Ozzie, then watch Howie this year. Very aggressive! And it works! Last year he would back in into the paint to early.

Just a few little Ozzi-isms...Similar puck handling and, the way they challenge the angle/shooter (only diffrence...Howie has a better 5-hole lol).

2008 Ozzie is a great comparison. I said repeatedly to the Ozzie bashers that year that Ozzie didn't have many shots to face but the ones he did tended to be gilt-edged ones which required a big save. Game last night looked like a case in point, only 24 LAK shots, but 3 or 4 golden opportunities which Jimmeh turned away.

So refreshing to see a Wings goalie carry playoff form into the following season!
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#26 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

Great stuff Jimmy! Keep it up!!!

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Another brilliant game.

#28 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Well said.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#29 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

Another brilliant game.

Totally agree! I think he is playing some of the best hockey in his career- He made some stops in this Socal trip that made my jaw drop!!
Way to go JIMMY!!!!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#30 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Totally agree! I think he is playing some of the best hockey in his career- He made some stops in this Socal trip that made my jaw drop!!
Way to go JIMMY!!!!

Penalty shot save on Kopitar - definition of confidence. No movement whatsoever, just kept his eye on the puck and has his glove all over that stick.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#31 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Was discussing this with my Dad via text last night. He has been playing better than we've ever seen him play over a prolonged period. It seems that he's really come into his own this season as a top-tier goaltender.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#32 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Was discussing this with my Dad via text last night. He has been playing better than we've ever seen him play over a prolonged period. It seems that he's really come into his own this season as a top-tier goaltender.

This is why he signed a low end deal for only a couple years. He is out to show he can be a big money goalie. There is no reason why he can't make more in a Wings uniform. He has to meet very lofty expectations to make more though. The Wings regularly don't pay a lot for their goalies since the lockout. Still, he could break the mold. I am very impressed with his play. His save percentage and GAA are spectacular. Imagine how many wins the Wings would have had during that 6 game losing streak if they would have scored 1-2 goals more per game. They could have won 4-5 of those games. Seems that every game the Wings have lost have been games where they have scored 0 or 1 goal.

I love what I see! Go Howard!
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#33 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

we need Pav and Z to follow suit and pop out some kids real quick, then well have our top 2 forwards back.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#34 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I've always been a fan of Howard. You can toss a coin for MVP right now between Lids and Howie.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 21 November 2011 - 04:03 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#35 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

I think his post to post (lateral) movement this year has been a Babcock "fantastic"! I especially saw this in the Kings game on the 5 on 3. He looks absolutely dialed in right now. :thumbup:

#36 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

Could be easily argued that he is the team MVP right now (could also make a case for Lidstrom and Kronwall, Franzen to a lesser degree if he wasn't streaky both hot/cold)

#37 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

It was effing spectacular to see his stop on Kopitar's penalty shot live and in person! I'm so glad he's having a great season. I just voted for him a zillion times in the write-in spot on the ASG ballot.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")