• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Mursak Progressing

Rate this topic

The important thing is that he doesn't rush it. He'll be good to go sooner or later, but don't try to do too much, too soon.

What we're seeing from Conner is what Mursak will provide, except Jan's bigger and has better hands. Take nothing away from Conner though, he's been terrific.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

The important thing is that he doesn't rush it. He'll be good to go sooner or later, but don't try to do too much, too soon.

What we're seeing from Conner is what Mursak will provide, except Jan's bigger and has better hands. Take nothing away from Conner though, he's been terrific.

Mursak provides a lot more than Connor. Connor looks great because his speed meshes well with Helm, Mursak will look even better I think.

Connor only has speed really, Mursak is just as fast but has hands, a bit of a scoring touch and is about as physical as Helm.

He has a lot more dimensions to his game than Connor who can only beat you with speed. Mursak can lay you out if he wants, blow around you, dangle you and has a pretty good shot. He's going to be a solid third liner, maybe second liner for a lot of years here

MLive

Quick update on forward Jan Mursak:

The Detroit Red Wings activated him today and assigned him to the Grand Rapids Griffins for a conditioning stint that can last up to two weeks.

Mursak said Tuesday that he expected to play tonight in Lake Erie. He has been out since Sept. 25 with a broken left ankle.

He anticipated playing between 4-6 games with the Griffins but could be brought back to Detroit sooner if the Red Wings have another injury and need him.

He may or may not play today. Regardless it's great to have him back in the rotation. :thumbup:

I'm excited for him but I'm wary of instilling some patience in my personal expectations and my own eye-ball test for him. I feel like I should wait out for a nice set of games before I expect to see him in tip top game shape.

He may or may not play today. Regardless it's great to have him back in the rotation. :thumbup:

I'm excited for him but I'm wary of instilling some patience in my personal expectations and my own eye-ball test for him. I feel like I should wait out for a nice set of games before I expect to see him in tip top game shape.

Great post, spot on.

So what did everyone make of his return tonight? I know I'm a huge fan, and biased, but I thought he looked great. He had that great chance early but it was blocked, he very nearly had a 2-on-1 with Helm, and all night he was skating hard and getting into dangerous positions.

10:34 TOI, 3 SOG, 1 block.

I love his agility, his ability to stop and start on his skates along the boards, it throws defencemen off and gives him time and space. The third line forced Pheonix to ice the puck 3 times tonight, and they had a fantastic shift in the 3rd period just before Franzen tied it up.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

So what did everyone make of his return tonight? I know I'm a huge fan, and biased, but I thought he looked great. He had that great chance early but it was blocked, he very nearly had a 2-on-1 with Helm, and all night he was skating hard and getting into dangerous positions.

No wayyy, you? Get out of town... :P

I personally thought he was fine. I was only hoping for a solid start from him and I feel pretty good about where he is tonight and I hope he can take another step forward in the next game he plays.

"The ankle feels good, no pain," Mursak said. "I feel really comfortable. I don’t think about it. It’s pretty strong now. No worries."

Detroit coach Mike Babcock said Mursak is back to square one.

"Anytime you’re a kid and you’ve been out a long time it’s tough," Babcock said. "But in saying that he was a very bright spot in training camp and we knew he was going to be an important player for us. We hope to get him rolling."

Bertuzzi is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.

Nice quote by Babs. Hopefully even if Bert is right to go Saturday Jan still plays in place of Cory.

He looked good tonight but ughhh the third line tonight gave up way too many turnovers tonight. All in all though Mursak looked better than I thought he would look so that is a +.

IMO Helm or Mursak should be swapped with Abby. The fourth line desperately needs some speed, and Abby is good at holding onto the puck and getting it for the cycle.

Mursak looked as good as expected after a missing a large amount of games.

ya what a stud. very dastyukian play to take the puck through the neutral zone then make a nice pass outside which leads to the original shot on goal. everytime i try to tell my friends how sweet hes going to be, nobody quite understands me yet. theyll see!

This one is for Mr. Aussie_Wing. And myself. And anyone else who is a fan of Mursak.

Red Wings' coach Mike Babcock sees offensive potential in speedy grinder Jan Mursak

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/02/red_wings_coach_mike_babcock_s_1.html

DETROIT – Jan Mursak is a tremendous skater with some puck-dangling ability, qualities he used to score 24 goals with the Grand Rapids Griffins two seasons ago.

For now, he is just trying to establish himself as a fourth-line grinder and energy player for the Detroit Red Wings, someone whose main objective is to avoid being scored against.

But coach Mike Babcock sees some offensive upside in Mursak.

“He can really shoot the puck. He scores every day in practice,'' Babcock said. “You don't score in practice and not translate it to games eventually. We think he's going to be an important player one day.''

Mursak scored his first goal of the season in Tuesday's 5-2 win at Columbus, his second goal in 31 NHL games.

“It feels good, hopefully I can score a few more,'' Mursak said. “I think our line (with Tomas Holmstrom and Cory Emmerton) played pretty good. We were pretty strong on the puck down low.''

Part of becoming a better scorer is putting yourself in better scoring position. That's what Mursak did when he went to the net, took a pass from Emmerton, spun and fired in a shot.

“I've been feeling good. I think I was playing pretty well, too,'' Mursak said. “I didn't give up much, played good defensively, but I still have to get better in the offensive zone to put myself in better scoring position.

“I was playing too much in the corners. (Tuesday), I just went in front of the net. Hopefully, in the next few games, I can get even better at that.''

Mursak is getting the opportunity because Pavel Datsyuk has missed four games following arthroscopic knee surgery. Datsyuk is expected to start skating in the next couple of days and return within two weeks.

“If you don't play for a while and then they put you in it's kind of hard to get back. So right now I played quite a few games in a row and I'm getting more comfortable from game to game.''

Mursak has played only 12 games, after breaking his ankle in the preseason and missing four months.

“I have no problems with my ankle anymore, so I can be the same as before the injury,'' Mursak said. “There's just little things I have to do better. Be a little better in defensive zone. I think this will come (with) the games I play.''

Said Babcock: “It's too bad for the kid that he broke his ankle; we thought he was going to be a big part of things. We think he's going to be a real good player for us.''

Unable to acquire a veteran depth forward by Monday's trading deadline -- due to a lack of sellers and inflated asking prices – the Red Wings will lean more on young players like Mursak and Emmerton.

“It's nice because that means we'll get more ice time,'' Mursak said.

Great read!! :thumbup:

Jan is definitely starting to build momentum! He's definitely been playing better lately, got his speed back, is cycling the puck well, playing strong defensively. I like these quotes from Babs, because Jan definitely has a very good shot, it's a heavy shot that will draw a rebound. I hope as he gains more confidence he'll start to unleash it more!

According to the transparent, these fans are from Maribor-region ;-)

and he IS Slovenian hero - hockey wise...

Anze is at the moment by far #1 anyway and I wouldn't mind if they play together again someday soon in the future.

The only bad thing is that once in the nhl, they are practically lost for the national team.

But even without them I am confident that Slovenia will again qualify for the elite division in April.

check this out :

http://eliteprospect..._sum_totals=yes

:cool: