• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Ryan Miller's opinion on Milan Lucic

Rate this topic

TSN.ca

When asked by the media after the game about his injury, Miller wanted to only address the hit.

"I'm not going to go into that. I just stuck around because I just wanted to say what a piece of [expletive] I think Lucic is," Miller said to the Buffalo News. "Fifty pounds on me and he runs me like that? It's unbelievable. Everyone in this city sees him as a big, tough, solid player. I respected him for how hard he played. That was gutless. Gutless piece of [expletive]."

Boston ended up winning the game 6-2. The last three goals were scored on the back-up goalie Jhonas Enroth as Miller was pulled after the second period due to "sore neck".

NHL.com

Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff said that Miller was suffering from a "little bit of a sore neck." He was also disappointed that there was only a minor penalty on Lucic.

"I thought it was a major," Ruff said. "I thought if it's open season on the goalies, then let's get at it."

Edited by P. Marlowe

Guest Shoreline

Miller is one of my favourite goalies here but f*** it, I like what Lucic did. Goalies get enough protection in the crease and around it. They don't deserve to go for a skate that far up the ice and expect to be protected as they aren't protecting the net at that point (otherwise the argument is the goalie being anywhere on the ice is considered protecting the net), they're playing the puck as any other skater. Lucic doing that, while infuriating him, lets him know that next time the puck is that far up the ice, Miller is taking a risk by going for a skate so far up the ice, and he just might think twice. I don't think goalie interference applies to that, even less do I think it's charging the goaltender. Lucic is finishing a hit on a player skating far away from his net to play the puck and not playing goal.

The reaction by Miller and Ruff is over the top.

Edited by Shoreline

Some other fine and fun moments from the former Spartan.

I'm not going to pay too much attention to anybody who's talking about my game right now. I really don't care. I don’t need to listen to all of the BS that’s out there from people who don’t know how to play goalie. I really don’t give an expletive.”

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=110098

Guest Shoreline

What makes me scratch my head is the attitude of many goalies, and how they feel they cannot be touched - even when they're outta their crease as Miller was.

Agreed.

Mike, tried to PM you (long apology msg :(), and msg you in BC.. I'm on your block list I think. :P

Edited by Shoreline

Like the fact he spoke his mind which is all too lacking these days, couldn't care much about the hit, but think Lucic made no attempt at the puck, he throws up the hands because he knows he's messed up and it'll be a good laugh to run a goalie. If it was any other player, the puck is still gone, still moving his feet, still a penalty. Think goalies are fair game, but think Lucic made a s***ty play. I'm just glad someone out there isn't saying "oh well they played really well, and they're a great team, and we have to respect that". Finally someone said "you know, I don't like him, or the way he plays"...

see...

Mixed feelings for sure, but here they are:

- Love Miller, but think goaltenders sometimes put themselves in situations where they should be considered a skater at least to some degree.

- This is not one of those situations, Miller cleared the puck, Lucic finished afterwards. A goalie is a goalie, these aren't new rules.

- Great to hear Miller react to the hit in a way other than it being 'unfortunate' or 'reckless', speak your mind. Love candid players.

- Hate Boston, like the way Lucic plays and would love him on the Wings, but he has the propensity for dumb, reckless plays like this.

- Immediately just outright hated the play because of the Boston homers. Seriously, worst in hockey by a wide margin.

- Looking forward to some sort of backlash, either on Lucic, Miller, or both, but there shouldn't be. Tape describing why it was dumb. Done.

Miller is very lucky he didn't connect with his stick there, it looked to me like he swung that goalie stick around like he was going for a Mcsorley....which is more of a piece s*** move if you ask imo don't skate to the hash marks, at Lucic of all people.

During the intermission on the radio broadcast following the "crash", Paul Hamilton (of the broadcast crew) offered a valid observation: when it happened, Buffalo had their top line on the ice. It's easy for fans to say "Why didn't any Sabres challenge Lucic?" Hamilton opined that Lucic is the only player in the League who sole intent during a fight is to injure his opponent. If one of their Number One line had have challenged Lucic and been injured for for a long period of time, it's win-win for Boston. Of note on the play: the one player who may have challenged Lucic, Defenceman Paul Gaustad, was tied up immediately by another Bruin, just in case he wanted to make a move.

The thing I find hilarious is that people talk about how this is an example of goalies "expecting" to be protected. Miller didn't try to put himself in between Lucic and the puck. He got to the puck in order to keep Lucic from getting a scoring chance on a breakaway (how dare he, right?) and got hit by a moron who doesn't know any better.

This isn't like Marc Andre Fleury getting the puck behind the net and getting into a player's way to draw a penalty. (see: Johan Franzen in game 6 of the 2008 finals)

The rules are there for a reason. Lucic decided to ignore them and deserved a penalty and a good beating.

Miller is very lucky he didn't connect with his stick there, it looked to me like he swung that goalie stick around like he was going for a Mcsorley....which is more of a piece s*** move if you ask imo don't skate to the hash marks, at Lucic of all people.

No s***. People talking smack about Lucic need to rewatch the video and see whats worse. Miller got butthurt he got knocked down way outside the crease, so he tried to take revenge by attempting a big slash at Lucics throat/face with his goal stick. Talk about gutless s***...

Miller is one of my favourite goalies here but f*** it, I like what Lucic did. Goalies get enough protection in the crease and around it. They don't deserve to go for a skate that far up the ice and expect to be protected as they aren't protecting the net at that point (otherwise the argument is the goalie being anywhere on the ice is considered protecting the net), they're playing the puck as any other skater. Lucic doing that, while infuriating him, lets him know that next time the puck is that far up the ice, Miller is taking a risk by going for a skate so far up the ice, and he just might think twice. I don't think goalie interference applies to that, even less do I think it's charging the goaltender. Lucic is finishing a hit on a player skating far away from his net to play the puck and not playing goal.

The reaction by Miller and Ruff is over the top.

While I agree that a goalie that far out of the crease should be fair game, the fact is, according to the rules of the game today, they are not. Therefore, Miller had no reason to expect he would be hit like that and no reason to protect himself from it. Lucic very certainly knows that rule, and so knew Miller was in a vulnerable position. Seems like a clear attempt to injure to me, and if it was my call Lucic would be sitting for a few games. I'd also suspend Miller for the attempted slash.

No s***. People talking smack about Lucic need to rewatch the video and see whats worse. Miller got butthurt he got knocked down way outside the crease, so he tried to take revenge by attempting a big slash at Lucics throat/face with his goal stick. Talk about gutless s***...

A one handed swipe to the leg equates to a two handed slash to the side of the head?

:lol:

Edited by Doc Holliday

Think when you watch it, it was a reaction out of shock (yeah I noticed he swung the stick first time I saw it, but ignored it with regards to the situation). He is most likely in some form of minor shock after a big hit, and has a reaction that is just that - a reaction. Then when the pain sets in, he hits the ice. Some people will call embellishment, but seriously, some of the time it takes a while for pain from a hit to set in. I've had times where I've been hurt, and the initial reaction is "what the..." closely followed by "man that hurt". Still a late hit, feet moving, on a goaltender. The main thing you overlooked as well is that he never got up and swung his stick in an intentional reaction to hurt. He gave an instinctive reaction. I'd do the same, as I'm sure you would.

It's funny cause no one on Buffalo is going to take on Lucic and if they did I'm pretty sure Lucic would wipe the floor with them. Regardless blah stuff like this happens. Glad to see Miller wasn't injured but if goalies leave the crease like that to play the puck imo they should be fair game.

It's funny cause no one on Buffalo is going to take on Lucic and if they did I'm pretty sure Lucic would wipe the floor with them. Regardless blah stuff like this happens. Glad to see Miller wasn't injured but if goalies leave the crease like that to play the puck imo they should be fair game.

Agree, but not sure that's much the point here. It was a blatant penalty, not someone battling with a goalie for the puck.

Just a stupid stupid play by Lucic, and I for one hope some one on Buffalo finds the balls to take him next time they play. As for people saying that miller trying to slash him in the head??? Comparing it to Mcsorley??? That's a joke in its self. He took a one handed half ass swipe at Lucics legs, and people are saying that is disgusting. Stuff like that happens 20x a game behind the play.

As for Miller speaking his mind, I'm glad he did. I understand why some are of you are calling it fair game but the rules are the rules. If you make it open season on goalies half the starters would be hurt in the first two months. The are protected for a reason. Players wouldnt hit a goalie to knock him off the puck, which a lot of the hits in the NHL are. They would hit the goalie to get him out of the game. To hurt him to get the back up in.

A one handed swipe to the leg equates to a two handed slash to the side of the head?

:lol:

Nice complete lack of reading comprehension there. First, I clearly said "attempted", I never said he landed it, which he did attempt it, as you can see by the video he looks like he was going high with his stick, and got as high as he could while on his ass. I also never said two handed. Nice attempt at twisting what I said to try to make your counterpoint (or lack thereof) seem more compelling, though...

Guest Shoreline

While I agree that a goalie that far out of the crease should be fair game, the fact is, according to the rules of the game today, they are not. Therefore, Miller had no reason to expect he would be hit like that and no reason to protect himself from it. Lucic very certainly knows that rule, and so knew Miller was in a vulnerable position. Seems like a clear attempt to injure to me, and if it was my call Lucic would be sitting for a few games. I'd also suspend Miller for the attempted slash.

I'm very well versed on the rules of the game, which is why I mentioned "charging", but I'm not exactly limiting my opinion of the discussion to what the rules state.

Edited by Shoreline