• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Millers stick was supposed to be the enforcer but he swung it like a girl after breaking a nail.

#42 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,822 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Who's the closest player on the Sabres to being an effective enforcer?

Cody McCormick. Don't know if he got injured during his last fight or not. I don't think he played last night.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#43 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

i want to retire the word "gutless."

it is way overused in hockey.
Posted Image

#44 TSM

TSM

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Any McSorely references related to the Miller attempted slash are R-E-tarded.

Listening to Lucic's postgame interview makes it worse. First tries to make the excuse that he wasn't looking, then bracing himself, because there was supposedly nothing he could do. Then, make a comment that (I'm paraphrasing) "If that happened to our goaltender we would have taken care of it, but we're a different team then they are". Essentially, yeah, he did it, but what are they going to do about it?

Wrong attitude to have. Difference between grit and goon.

I agree with this 100 percent! It must be a joint Yooper-Shanahan appreciation between the two of us as fans. What disturbs me about this whole thread is how differing people within this thread consider this type of play "fair ball" when we all know that it would be a different reaction had this been Howard. The rules exist for a reason because goaltenders that match Lucic's size are few and far between. Secondly, I'd be curious to know what Ryan's brother thinks about this entire thing from a player versus goaltender perspective.

what pisses me off about the homer broadcasters for Boston is how they talk about Lucic being justified and how the Bruins must have his back? Are you kidding????!!! I hate homer observations like this that make a mockery of common sense. I love the physical aspect of the game, but it's nice to see "class" displayed when an opportunity to gravely injure a fellow hockey player is shown. This is the home of Steve Yzerman afterall. Would he consider that a hockey play just because Miller made a play on the puck to prevent a scoring opportunity? I think not!

i want to retire the word "gutless."

it is way overused in hockey.

Really? How would you describe that sort of play? I consider Lucic to be a goon-sized gutless scrub? Does the succession of overused adjectives offend you?
QUOTE (DaKineMaui @ June 12, 2008 - 01:43AM)
I have nothing more on this then. 'If' Vladdy woulda stayed heathy, 'If" Stevie woulda stayed sound, who knows?
'If' my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Who knows?
#19 ran this team.

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,822 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Well, the Bruins bullied the Canucks into the Stanley Cup last year, so it seems to be working for them. They're just like Anaheim in 2007. You can win the Cup nowadays and be a team full of fighters.

I just hate them because there's too many players on their team I despise, and I wish someone would pound Lucic and Chara's faces already. Unfortunately, neither of those guys fight heavies unless the moon is blue.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

i love miller, but i'm glad lucic hit him. if you're going to leave the crease and play the puck, then i consider you a skater.

#47 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

TSN.ca

The Buffalo Sabres will be without Ryan Miller for an undetermined amount of time because of a concussion.

(...)

As a result, Lucic has a disciplinary hearing tomorrow at 1pm et with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan.

(...)

"If this hit and other types of hits like this are not suspended, we are opening up the possibility of losing goaltenders to injury," Regier told the News. "And not just injury, but concussion.

"When I look at the position of goaltending, in a lot of ways it's not unlike quarterback in football," Regier continued. "I feel very strongly the protection has to be provided and players committing these types of action should be punished."

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#48 redwashington2000

redwashington2000

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

I hope Lucicici will be suspended for at least 15 games and I hope one day Wings goaltender will be smashed to the ice so all on this board will get thef****** point. It's one thing when you hit a defenceman he is prepared to take the hit and it's totaly diferent when you are runing a goaltender when he knows you will not do it.

#49 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

The rulebook doesn't allow goaltenders to be hit. Period, full stop. Inna da crease, outta da crease, doesn't matter. Lucic made full body contact with a netminder, and

I don't know what the new precedent is, but concussing a goaltender on a hit should get SOMETHING.

#50 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

The birth of a rivalry?

Lucic will likely get a few games. Outside of Cody McCormick, Buffalo is pretty soft. Gaustad doesn't fight much anymore. Kaleta is more of an agitator, but he'll fight from time to time.

With Miller's comments, there's no way the following Bruins/Sabres game goes without some kind of incident.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#51 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Mixed feelings for sure, but here they are:

- Love Miller, but think goaltenders sometimes put themselves in situations where they should be considered a skater at least to some degree.
- This is not one of those situations, Miller cleared the puck, Lucic finished afterwards. A goalie is a goalie, these aren't new rules.
- Great to hear Miller react to the hit in a way other than it being 'unfortunate' or 'reckless', speak your mind. Love candid players.
- Hate Boston, like the way Lucic plays and would love him on the Wings, but he has the propensity for dumb, reckless plays like this.
- Immediately just outright hated the play because of the Boston homers. Seriously, worst in hockey by a wide margin.
- Looking forward to some sort of backlash, either on Lucic, Miller, or both, but there shouldn't be. Tape describing why it was dumb. Done.

The more I look at the hit, the more I don't like it. Now, in light of the injury to Miller, the league definitely needs to crack down and set a precedent quick. I'm guessing 3 games, hoping for 5, just 'cause I want to hear the Boston homers ***** and moan. "b-b-but we're SOOOO tough, its not our fault" :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lgL3jm6H8

Edited by b.shanafan14, 13 November 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#52 redwashington2000

redwashington2000

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

The birth of a rivalry?

Lucic will likely get a few games. Outside of Cody McCormick, Buffalo is pretty soft. Gaustad doesn't fight much anymore. Kaleta is more of an agitator, but he'll fight from time to time.

With Miller's comments, there's no way the following Bruins/Sabres game goes without some kind of incident.

Well now think about the RED WINGS we are in the same situation, not Abi not Big Rig will dear to chalange guatlesluciano

Edited by redwashington2000, 13 November 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#53 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

Miller has to be faking the concussion, otherwise he should be kicked out of the league for being a piece of glass impersonating a human.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#54 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Miller has to be faking the concussion, otherwise he should be kicked out of the league for being a piece of glass impersonating a human.

You are aware concussions can be had from the most minor of hits, right?

Posted Image

#55 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

You are aware concussions can be had from the most minor of hits, right?

I am also aware that a simple headache can be considered a concussion according to NHL standards.

At any rate millers injury should have no bearing on a suspension, yet that seems to be the case.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#56 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:39 AM

I am also aware that a simple headache can be considered a concussion according to NHL standards.

At any rate millers injury should have no bearing on a suspension, yet that seems to be the case.

It does irritate me that the result gets penalized more often than the actual action, but it is pretty similar to the way things are done in the real world.

I doubt Lucic will be suspended though. Maybe a fine, but not a suspension.

Posted Image

#57 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

Mike, tried to PM you (long apology msg :(), and msg you in BC.. I'm on your block list I think. :P

Yeah - just made the change to take you off...I needed to do it a long time ago...Sorry.

EDIT - and btw - it's me that needs to apologise to you...Those comments I made a few years ago regarding your personal life were way outta line, immature, downright nasty, and not cool on my part.

So Steve - I apologise for making them :blush:

Edited by F.Michael, 14 November 2011 - 02:50 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#58 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

I'm the biggest supporter of physical, tough hockey, but how can anyone seriously defend that play?

Regardless of what we all think should be in the rules, the bottom line is its against the rules to hit a goalie in hockey. The grow up getting hit with pucks, not learning how to take a hit and their equipment is not designed to take a hit at all. Their helmets fall off from shots, so god knows what a 230 lb physical freak of nature like Lucic could do.

He blatantly hit him, threw his hands up and everything didnt even attempt to move.

I would love Lucic on Detroit but he is a huge meathead and this is a clear example.

100% agree. Goalie equipment isn't supposed to absorb hits. Lucic was probably pissed for not being able to handle an easy pass and took it out on Miller.

Gutless play.

Edited by Jocke, 14 November 2011 - 06:34 AM.

#59 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:54 AM

Really? How would you describe that sort of play? I consider Lucic to be a goon-sized gutless scrub? Does the succession of overused adjectives offend you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hiXlG7R9hY
Posted Image

#60 GongShow94

GongShow94

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

While I totally agree that lucic is a piece of work I do think this play was handled well penalty wise. Miller came out of his crease to play the puck and I know goalie equipment isnt made for checks but when you leave yourself vulnerable like that you also leave yourself to getting run by people like lucic. On the other hand... I do agree that goalies get pampered too much but this isnt the case I could see if miller was out playing the puck and getting bumbed but lucic steamrolled him. You have to protect the goalie in this case and I think that should be handled by his teammates. Goon it up after something like that. I know they dont have a big enforcer on there team but im sure they got someone in the minors willing to get dirty. Bring him up next time they meet and let him run wild... Thats what I dont get when your gonna play a team like boston that you know is gonna play aggressive you have to prepare your roster for that so you can handled situations like this. Miller went out to play the puck and he got into a close race for the puck and in this case it was with lucic who felt it was close enough he run into miller, bad play, give him the penalty and let buffalo get him back later. Detroit didnt respond right away against the avs when draper got hit but whats the famous quote on march 26 1997... HOCKEY PLAYERS HAVE LONG MEMORIES!!