• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfan1991

Will Stuart re-sign?

Rate this topic

Barret Jackman could be another good Stuart replacement, just realized hes a UFA

I can imagine it now.

Zetterberg calls him up to welcome to the team: "You done borrowing my Calder trophy yet?"

Come on man... It's been over eight years! I know I'm slumping but this isn't fooling anyone anymore.

I think Stuart is a lot more needed on this team then most of the LGW faithful give him credit for. If his contract was the same as it is now for a couple more years I would be happy to re-sign.

Hes the wings only consistently somewhat physical player on defense but he isnt irreplaceable.

Gleason, Boychuk and Jackman all provide the exact same as him while being younger.

Hes the wings only consistently somewhat physical player on defense but he isnt irreplaceable.

Gleason, Boychuk and Jackman all provide the exact same as him while being younger.

No argument here but can those players be had for what Stuart could be re-signed for? I know we have lots of cap space now but if Lids does retire the Wings will have to fill his spot and getting a top d-man won't come cheap. I don't want to re-sign Stuart long term just a short year or two extention to help groom Smith and or Kindl.

With defensive plays like last night against Nashville, I'd really dislike seeing him leave.

Yea for real. Talk about right place right time. I hope he stays because he is definitely solid for his price and I couldn't care less if he fights anymore.

from detnews today .. damn don't wanna lose him, guess his family is still out in Cali?

Stuart lights lamp for family

After stating publicly this week that considerations of living closer to home will figure prominently in his decision to re-sign with the Red Wings for next season and beyond, Brad Stuart scored his first goal of the season Saturday.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111112/SPORTS0103/111120417/Wings-defenseman-Ian-White-sacrifices-face-for-the-team#ixzz1daf0aV43

Translation: If you are going to pay Ericsson that much money then you are going to have to open up the checkbook and write a huge check or I will move closer to my family.

On the other hand, there's also Game 7 against Pittsburgh. :ph34r:

He had at least two owiees that game.

Like Michael Corleone, I'll never truly forgive Stuart for that. I have a hard time letting go.

"You broke my heart Stuart. You broke my heart."

Edited by GMRwings1983

Like Michael Corleone, I'll never truly forgive Stuart for that. I have a hard time letting go.

"You broke my heart Stuart. You broke my heart."

this. dude could be an all star for the next 5 years and I still couldn't forgive him for it. maybe that's too harsh but i dont care

Not interested in a return of Stuart. He's declining rapidly; he's played well for a few games but he's played poorly for about two years. He would cost the Wings $4m-$5m, and he isn't earning his current deal.

Cut him loose, and either replace him with a better, younger defenseman at the same price he does or would make, or go with Lids/replacement, Kronner, White, Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, insert-7th-here.

This might sound crazy because I can't think of a stanley cup contender that would trade a top 4 Dman, but if Stuart says he wants to go back to Cali to be with his family, I think the red wings should call up the anaheim ducks and ship him there. Here's why:

1.) he may be a huge part of the team now but on July 1st he is worthless to us. might as well get something in return for him.

2.) The Wings have 8 NHL defensemen. Smith and Kindl are young and it would make sense to keep them. No one is trading Lidstrom ever. Kronwall's our future at the point. Commodore won't get us anything in return. Ericsson I believe has a NTC and even if he doesn't he's 27-28 and under contract next year. That makes Stuart tradable today, in my opinion.

3.) As a UFA he is free to sign anywhere, obviously, and he would hypothetically only want to go to california teams. that means Anaheim, the Sharks, and the Kings could get him for free. If we trade him to Anaheim, he gets to live where he wants and would hopefully sign long term there instead of signing with 2 teams that could very easily stand between us and the cup this year and in the future.

4.) The Ducks are heavy on top 6 talent and really need to retool/ rebuild to become cup contenders again. The wings could get creative and trade something like Stuart, Nyquist, and a 2nd for Bobby Ryan (I'm not sure why the Ducks would want to trade him, but apparently that was the rumor). This would help both teams. The ducks get a solid, reliable dman, a high pick, and a high-end prospect. the wings get a young top 6 forward. And most importantly, Stuart wouldn't be a Shark come next season.

What do you guys think? Or am I crazy for wanting to trade Stuart and give Ericsson more ice team?

This might sound crazy because I can't think of a stanley cup contender that would trade a top 4 Dman, but if Stuart says he wants to go back to Cali to be with his family, I think the red wings should call up the anaheim ducks and ship him there. Here's why:

1.) he may be a huge part of the team now but on July 1st he is worthless to us. might as well get something in return for him.

2.) The Wings have 8 NHL defensemen. Smith and Kindl are young and it would make sense to keep them. No one is trading Lidstrom ever. Kronwall's our future at the point. Commodore won't get us anything in return. Ericsson I believe has a NTC and even if he doesn't he's 27-28 and under contract next year. That makes Stuart tradable today, in my opinion.

3.) As a UFA he is free to sign anywhere, obviously, and he would hypothetically only want to go to california teams. that means Anaheim, the Sharks, and the Kings could get him for free. If we trade him to Anaheim, he gets to live where he wants and would hopefully sign long term there instead of signing with 2 teams that could very easily stand between us and the cup this year and in the future.

4.) The Ducks are heavy on top 6 talent and really need to retool/ rebuild to become cup contenders again. The wings could get creative and trade something like Stuart, Nyquist, and a 2nd for Bobby Ryan (I'm not sure why the Ducks would want to trade him, but apparently that was the rumor). This would help both teams. The ducks get a solid, reliable dman, a high pick, and a high-end prospect. the wings get a young top 6 forward. And most importantly, Stuart wouldn't be a Shark come next season.

What do you guys think? Or am I crazy for wanting to trade Stuart and give Ericsson more ice team?

It's a pretty good plan. The only problem is that it leaves a hole in our defense this year. Smith isn't ready this year and like him or not Stuart, has been great in the playoffs (minus game 7 against Pittsburgh in '09). I don't like the idea of our defense getting weaker for the playoffs this year. It would be great to get Bobby Ryan but IMO, we should trade Stuart for an experienced D-man and I don't see Anaheim or LA with any D-men that we would want and that they would want to trade. Trading with San Jose IMO is out of the question.

I hate to say it, but this is probably Lids last year and to lose him AND Stuart would hurt. Best case is for Stuart to stay but I understand why he wants to be close to his family. If he absolutely wants to go, your plan is probably the best case for the Wings.

It makes some sense in that it sounds like Stuart wants to play closer to home anyway, so they may lose him in the offseason. And it would be something the Ducks could use.

But you're right, it's hard to imagine trading away a top 4 guy headed into the playoffs, which is also where Stuart steps up his game.

Ericsson has been good this season, but I don't know that he's ready to pick up big minutes like he'd have to if they didn't replace Stuart. Though they do have Commie and Smith waiting in the Wings too, so there's a lot of guys to help spread out that ice time, with the major question mark if they can handle it.

Not interested in a return of Stuart. He's declining rapidly; he's played well for a few games but he's played poorly for about two years. He would cost the Wings $4m-$5m, and he isn't earning his current deal.

Cut him loose, and either replace him with a better, younger defenseman at the same price he does or would make, or go with Lids/replacement, Kronner, White, Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, insert-7th-here.

A replacement for Lids? - Bobby Orr? Doug Harvey?

Stuart is declining rapidly???? and played poorly for two years??? He has been great for the Wings for his contract. Who would you want to help our young guys coming up? Ericsson? talk about not earning his current deal. If Stuart wants to be closer to his family that his choice but the Wings will miss what he brings.