• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
germanwing

White´s injured

Rate this topic

Per mlive.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_ian_white_to_miss_ro.html

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White will miss the upcoming four-game road trip due to a fractured cheek bone.

White blocked a shot with his face in Saturday's 5-2 victory over Dallas Saturday. General manager Ken Holland said he will be out 1-2 weeks. Once he recovers sufficiently, he'll be able to play with facial protection.

The Red Wings have recalled defenseman Brendan Smith from the Grand Rapids Griffins. He will serve the fifth and final game of his NHL suspension Tuesday in St. Louis. After that the club will decide whether to keep Smith on the roster or send him back.

Mike Commodore, who has played only two games, will be inserted into the lineup on Tuesday.

Holland said either White or Todd Bertuzzi will be placed on short-term injured reserve on Monday, freeing up a roster spot for Smith.

Bertuzzi has missed four games with swelling in his ear and a sinus infection but is improving and might return to practice on Monday. But he still is several days away from being able to play.

Guest Crymson

bring back Rafalski

That'd be funny. Unfortunately, he's effectively banned from the NHL until next season.

With the loss of a right handed shot, you'd think it calls for at least a couple games with Commodore.

Sounds like it. Commie's in for the start of the road trip, and Smith is brought up to finish out his suspension. I suppose there's a chance that Smith might be worked in a game on the trip, but I think it'd be better to have him playing first line minutes in GR than third line minutes with the Wings (if he's even in the lineup).

This is a tough blow - especially on a road trip. He's been huge for the Wings thus far, IMO.

I'd like to agree with the sentiment of Commodore over Smith. I understand Brendan's been on the cusp and is fresh off suspension and should get some experience, but I don't see why they went and got Commy if he doesn't crack the top six in times like this. Especially a right-hander with Nick on the line. Doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Edited by Ram

It was a bloody ACCIDENT that he got hit in the face, why are people acting like he did some great thing? Sucks that he got hurt but he sure as hell didn't stick his face in line of fire on purpose...

It was a bloody ACCIDENT that he got hit in the face, why are people acting like he did some great thing? Sucks that he got hurt but he sure as hell didn't stick his face in line of fire on purpose...

Umm then what do you call diving face first in front of the shooter, while laying on the goal line. While at the same time the netminder was still turning to face the shooter. As in he was not even looking in that direction yet.

White dove in front of an open net and got hit in the face for his troubles.

Sure I bet his intention was to block it with his body, but the fact he laid it out, and didn't just try to use his stick, is what people are applauding him for. The fact that he took it to the face adds to the "glamour" or "mystique" of the play.

But it was not like he was standing still and got hit in the ass while not looking.

He PURPOSELY (meaning on purpose, therefore not an accident) dove in front of an empty net to save a goal. He did that, not accidentally, not by chance, not by luck. He dove in front of the puck with the intention (again on purpose not an accident) to block the shot.

He did just that, just so happens he used his cheek (face not ass) to get the job done. Which indirectly led to two goals and a DET win.

IMO if he reaches with his stick to poke check that, it is a tie game and the whole complexion of the game changes.

These are the things we are celebrating.

His effort, his hustle, and his commitment to the team.

EDIT: Clarity

Edited by Opie

Umm then what do you call diving face first in front of the shooter, while laying on the goal line. While at the same time the netminder was still turning to face the shooter. As in he was not even looking in that direction yet.

White dove in front of an open net and got hit in the face for his troubles.

Sure I bet his intention was to block it with his body, but the fact he laid it out, and didn't just try to use his stick, is what people are applauding him for. The fact that he took it to the face adds to the "glamour" or "mystique" of the play.

But it was not like he was standing still and got hit in the ass while not looking.

He PURPOSELY (meaning on purpose, therefore not an accident) dove in front of an empty net to save a goal. He did that, not accidentally, not by chance, not by luck. He dove in front of the puck with the intention (again on purpose not an accident) to block the shot.

He did just that, just so happens he used his cheek (face not ass) to get the job done. Which indirectly led to two goals and a DET win.

IMO if he reaches with his stick to poke check that, it is a tie game and the whole complexion of the game changes.

These are the things we are celebrating.

His effort, his hustle, and his commitment to the team.

EDIT: Clarity

OK every player that blocks a shot and ACCIDENTLY gets hit in the face is a hero. ZAT make ya happy?

You are missing the point, he is a hero (as you put it) not because he blocked a shot.

But the situation in which he did it.

In front of an open net, Diving face first.

What you are missing is that if he didn't get hit in the face we would be talking about the effort he gave, even if the puck went in.

Now if they score and he dives, it is in the game day thread as a great effort.

He dives and blocks it with his body, and the score was 4-1, or 5-2 or whatever at the time then it probably ends up still in the game day thread.

He dives and blocks the shot during a one goal game that the wings go on to dominate and win the third period after his effort, probably a one page thread with a few posts.

He dives and blocks the shot with his face, causing injury, and it is during a one goal game that the wings go on to dominate and win the third period after his effort. You end up with this thread.

You got negged and I responded because you are acting like this happens 5-6 times a game, when in all actuality when was the last time you saw a player dive face first to block a puck in the crease. Let a lone a Wings D-man, think about how skilled( or unskilled rather) wings d-men have been around the crease the last few years. People on here have bitched for years about the Wings D and clearing the crease or dealing with rebounds.

Even when Z does SLIDE into the crease from time to time he goes in feet first, other D go down on one knee to block it.

He laid out for that one like very few players in the league do.

This was not just another blocked shot, IMO.

But don't take my word on it, take these:

"Well, he took one for the team, that's for sure," said White's defensive partner, Nicklas Lidstrom. "He saved a goal there, diving with his face first. I haven't seen him yet, but I think he got a bad cut to his face.

"But he did save the goal for us, and we were very grateful."

"I hope he's OK," defenseman Brad Stuart said.

"But that takes guts to want to do that. They're still in it at that point. So that was a big play for us.

"When you have someone kind of sacrifice themselves for the good of the team, that lifts guys."

"Obviously, you like to see guys selling out," Babcock said. "You don't like to see guys get hit in the face.

"But great message to his teammates, and he competes every night, this guy.

Put the bong down nutz

Awesome play. Anytime you block a shot you can get injured and taking that chance is always a sign that youre always ready to take one for the team. Love the play.

White has been a great for us so far. Love it.

MLive

“The guy’s got a lot of guts to throw his face like that in front of the puck,” goaltender Jimmy Howard said. “I told him that I would buy him dinner in St. Louis, but unfortunately he can’t fly with us, so I’ll hit him up the next time he’s on the road with us.”