• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

Carcillo was suspended for 2 games for a more dangerous boarding (in my opinion) at the end of October. Letang was also suspended 2 games for boarding mid-October. In pre-season, Sestito delivered a much more full-on hit from behind into the boards and rec'd 2 games in the regular season (+ 3 preseason, which I don't really cound for much). Also, in the preseason, Letourneau-Leblond rec'd 1 regular season game (+ 4 preseason) - he's a repeat offender.

Even if you think this hit was on the same level of these others, he should not get any more than 2 games. In my opinion, the contact was less than the examples I gave.

Eva, 5 games....really?

#22 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

I about lost my freakin' mind when I saw that hit. Thank God all the doors and windows were shut because there were some serious epithets flying. I can't believe he came back the next period; what a beast. My head would still be ringing.
If Shanny stays true to form, my guess would be 8 games.

8 games? Nah.
How is that "true to form" for Shanahan?

Here is a list of this year's Shanabans (reg. season games) for boarding:
Carcillo - Boarding - 2 games
Letang - Boarding - 2 games
Sestito - Boarding - 4 games
Staubitz - Boarding - 3 games
Shelley - Boarding - 5 games
Letourneau-Leblond - Boarding - 1 game

Shanahan has dished out much more severe suspensions for illegal hits to the head.

Now, with that said...I figure Stewart will get suspended, but I can't imagine it will be for 8 games.
I'm going to say 2 or 3 games.

Edited by cprice12, 16 November 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#23 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

TSN.ca

St. Louis Blues forward Chris Stewart has a disciplinary hearing on Wednesday morning for his hit from behind during Tuesday's win over the Detroit Red Wings.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#24 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

TSN.ca

Started at 11am, so it's likely done now, I'm guessing we should get word of ruling this afternoon.

#25 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

I'm guessing Sheriff Shanny is going to give him a 3-game suspension for that hit. It's in line with what he's doled out for similar infractions. I can't see Shanahan giving a player a lengthier suspension than another just because the hit was aimed toward a Red Wing. That would undo all the good I think he's done in the short time he's held the post.

Edited by Electrophile, 16 November 2011 - 12:00 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#26 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

I'm guessing Sheriff Shanny is going to give him a 3-game suspension for that hit. It's in line with what he's doled out for similar infractions. I can't see Shanahan giving a player a lengthier suspension than another just because the hit was aimed toward a Red Wing. That would undo all the good I think he's done in the short time he's held the post.

Shanahan played for St. Louis too.

#27 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Started at 11am, so it's likely done now, I'm guessing we should get word of ruling this afternoon.

I didn't realize it was that much already over there. By the way, how did you know that it started at 11 AM? I haven't seen that information anywhere.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#28 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

Is Stewart considered a "star" player?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#29 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Utterly pointless and needless hit...one wonders wtf he was thinking?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#30 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

I didn't realize it was that much already over there. By the way, how did you know that it started at 11 AM? I haven't seen that information anywhere.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

BTW, Chris Stewart's hearing is at 11 a.m. ET.

#31 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Shanahan played for St. Louis too.

Really?! Gee, I had no idea.......

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#32 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Yup. He just had a better time here! :lol:

Anywho, I'm surprised there's been no press release yet. It seems pretty cut-and-dried to me, not much room for debate other than how many games. After having read up on Shanny's inconsistent penalties lately, 2 games is probably the call.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#33 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'd like 3+ games to send a little message that that kind of play is incredibly needless, avoidable, and unacceptable.

My guess is that because Kronwall came back into the game and played, it won't be as severe. Two games likely.

Stewart is a good hard player, but you just NEVER hit a guy when he is in that position a few feet from the boards. They teach you that when you're a Mite and Squirt.
Posted Image

#34 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie

BTW, Chris Stewart's hearing is at 11 a.m. ET.

McKenzie, of course. Thanks.

-- Mitch Albom

#35 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Man I hope it's not a serious injury, like a shoulder or wrist or something. Looked potentially bad. :angry:

And maybe it's my fault, I have both White and Kronwall in my fantasy team...

I thought the same last night.

Also, I'm betting it's 2 games. I could even see it just being 1 game. The fact Kronwall came back in the same game, and Shanahan does consider the effect (injury) of the hit to be a factor, says something. Also, the track record for boarding/hit from behinds was already documented in this thread.

It's kind of funny to me that the NHL sees fit to punish hits to the head more severely than hits from behind. Or at least that's the way it seems so far. To me hits from behind are far more dangerous because they can lead to all types of serious injuries including concsussions.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#36 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPczOMJus-I

I missed the first period and a half. Woof. That was bad.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#37 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

Wasn't talking to you my friend.

Was talking to someone else who seemingly forgot.
  • Nev likes this

#38 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Wasn't talking to you my friend.

Was talking to someone else who seemingly forgot.

You quoted my post, so it stands to reason that I'd think you were talking to me.

#39 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

You quoted my post, so it stands to reason that I'd think you were talking to me.

Whoops...my mistake.
Was looking at the wrong username.

With that said...
So using that argument of possible favoritism is moot in this case because Shanny has played for both teams involved.

#40 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Announcers "It's fortunate for Kronwall that he's not going head first."

What, it really looked like he was going head first into the boards. But this article says that Kronwall was able to turn his head.

"It could have been a lot worse," said Kronwall, who returned to start the second period and wound up playing 21:59. "I was just able to turn my head (at the last second). I was lucky. They brought me in here (the locker room) to do the testing but I felt fine."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...s#ixzz1du7uyIvE