• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Mike Commodore

Rate this topic

I'm so glad we signed Commodore to play 6:40. :thumbup:

I know tonight was a special teams fest at times, but still.

The guy is worthless. More often than not he’s a healthy scratch, but when he isn’t, he barely plays. I know they want Smith playing heavy minutes in Grand Rapids, but would he learn more practising alongside Lids and Kronwall ect or by playing 20 minutes a night in GR? Honestly, I'd rather be playing Smith and letting him learn and familiarise to the NHL now than wait another season.

If we waived Commodore, would anyone claim him?

Hard to blame a guy that's just trying to get acclimated to the team, when our so-called "star" players are playing like dogs***.

Pin this loss on the top players.

I’m hardly pinning this loss on him. How many games has he played this season, 4, 5?

Smith is NHL ready, or very close to it. I’m of the opinion that if you’ve got a guy who is CLEARLY a part of this team’s future, and he’s virtually ready to go, why waste time by having Commodore on the roster? Aren’t we just delaying the inevitable?

7th dman. i don't know what is realistic.

Look, AGAIN, it's not so much about Commodore, it’s about Commodore vs Smith, the current, the future, everything.

I'd argue we'd be a lot better having Smith up permanently with this team learning off the best, rather than having a sto-gap otpion who barely plays.

Blame our top guns like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Franzen for the loss? Nah, lets blame Mike Commodore.

Wow, this forum really is retarded.

Do people here actually have the ability to, you know, read?

Ya time to play Smith the Wings keep their prospects in the minors for so long it becomes annoying. NHL experience is what he needs, just look at all the other young players getting time in the NHL and excelling.

Agreed. Time to play Smith at least on this road trip and see what he brings.

I was never a big fan of the Commodore signing to begin with and he has shown nothing to change my mind so far. He's slow and hasn't been physical either. I think prospects being "overripe" is fine when the veterans are playing well, as is the team. Neither is the case and the Red Wings could use some fresh energy and youth around.

Wow, this forum really is retarded.

Do people here actually have the ability to, you know, read?

Haven't we gone over the fact that prospects are over-riped before they get a permanent roster spot? :idea: Where have you been?

"We brought him in because.."

He's a pretty convenient whipping boy and following every loss there needs to be someone to hang for it.

Because to some posters a "Useless piece of s*** that plays 6:40" is to fault for our lack of consistency among our "stars".

not that im blaming Commodore for the loss tonight it was a poor team effort but like it was already mentioned some youth can do this team a lot of good, and Smith playing with guys like Lidstrom, Stuart and Kronwall will be very good for him

guaranteed that he scores a goal on this road trip if he gets to play or you can neg rep this post

Edited by Yak19

With White hurt, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith play over Commie. With that said, Commie is here so Smith can play top minutes in the AHL. It would hinder Smith's development to ride the pine in Detroit, and the Wings don't want Kindl sitting out consistently for Smith to play ahead of him in the NHL.

I'm so glad we signed Commodore to play 6:40. :thumbup:

I know tonight was a special teams fest at times, but still.

The guy is worthless. More often than not he’s a healthy scratch, but when he isn’t, he barely plays. I know they want Smith playing heavy minutes in Grand Rapids, but would he learn more practising alongside Lids and Kronwall ect or by playing 20 minutes a night in GR? Honestly, I'd rather be playing Smith and letting him learn and familiarise to the NHL now than wait another season.

If we waived Commodore, would anyone claim him?

You realize he was injured during the first part of the season, right? That may be part of why he didn't play those games >.>

Commodore was signed for defensive depth. The fans hyped him up into something else. Commodore has been providing defensive depth. He's hardly played any games, and hardly any time in those games, what exactly did you expect him to do? Get a hat trick?

I've hardly noticed him, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a 6/7 d-man. I never yelled at him and threw anything at my TV because of something he did, either. And he has had a few good hits.

However, I do sort of feel like Smith should get some time in the NHL. I get that it's not good for a prospect to ride the pine, but he's got to start somewhere. And though he's NHL ready, he's not superstar ready, so let him get acclimated a few times. Looks like he'll get a start on this road trip, though. I'd be wanting him to learn from Lidstrom while he can.

So the guy comes in, has a solid preseason and gets hurt.

Than he gets ina few games and hasnt looked terrible at all. He manhandled Langenbrunner behind the net which stick out in my mind tonight and hes only gotten spot duty all year because Kindl has played well.

Give him 5 or 6 games to show what he can do at least, cant expect a guy to ride pine than come out and look like Lidstrom.

If he was on the ice when Kronwall got hit by Stewart noone would be talking smack because he would've actually went and did something about it, Stewart would've been leaving with a misconduct and a few welts to remember what not to do aganst Detroit

Bring an almost ready NHL D Man in and sit Kindl who is already a Young NHL D man or Ericsson who is also a sorta young D man??? Or Sit Smith, hell of a lot of experience he will get in the pressbox...

He is in the AHL because thats where he gets the ice time, on a healthy roster he doesn't slot anywhere before Lids, White, Kronwall, Smith and maybe E and Kindl, but they dont want him on the bottom 6.

He is up right now to finish his suspension and he is staying with the team since we don't have a healthy 7 and can replace a top 4 guy and leave Kindl and E on the bottom paring.

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Just for reference everyone, Brendan Smith was watching the game from the press box as he served the final game of his suspension. With White out he'll probably get into some games before he goes back down.

This. I was scrolling down for a while before anyone mentioned it. Commie is a good depth signing. Say another defenceman gets injured along with White, if Commie wasn't there who would you throw in? Don't say Smith, because with White AND another man out, he'd already be in. You can't have an entire blue line of prospects or it wont work. He was signed for depth, he's being used for depth. Don't see what's the problem. It's not like we're rapidly eating up cap space.

not that im blaming Commodore for the loss tonight it was a poor team effort but like it was already mentioned some youth can do this team a lot of good, and Smith playing with guys like Lidstrom, Stuart and Kronwall will be very good for him

Claiming the Wings need more youth is the most over used sentiment in hockey these days...well, that and the Wings are going to take a big step back this year.

Take a look at the ages of several current roster players:

Filppula 27

Hudler 27

White 27

Miller 27

Eaves 27

Helm 24

Abdelkader 24

Kindl 24

Emmerton 23

Brunnstrom 26

Ericsson 27

Some of these guys are regulars and others may be fringe players but working towards trying to become regulars. But the fact that people like to claim that the Wings need more youth in their line up need to take a minute and think before they just spit out canned responses to try and sound hockey smart.

Also, if you had Smith on this roster instead of Commodore, which I'm neither for or against, think about the situation we'd be in right now as White has gotten hurt. You'd see a line up of:

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Smith

That's three inexperienced defensemen - no matter which pairings you choose. At least Commodore brings experience and is a bit of a reclamation project that potentially could work out well despite his lack of speed.

I've hardly noticed him, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a 6/7 d-man. I never yelled at him and threw anything at my TV because of something he did, either. And he has had a few good hits.

This is exactly what you'd like to see from a 6/7 guy. The only thing he has done badly that has stuck out to me was last night's delay of game penalty.

Considering he's only played 3 games now I think he's looked fine. Also, to the OP complaining he only played 6:40 that was because the Wings spent 15 full minutes on the PP. Commodore is averaging 10:14 TOI per game. Here's a breakdown of his TOI this season:

Nov 15 '11 DET @ STL 6:40

Nov 5 '11 ANA @ DET 13:06

Nov 3 '11 CGY @ DET 10:57

That looks pretty good to me - what a 6/7 d-man should be playing.

Claiming the Wings need more youth is the most over used sentiment in hockey these days...well, that and the Wings are going to take a big step back this year.

Take a look at the ages of several current roster players:

Filppula 27

Hudler 27

White 27

Miller 27

Eaves 27

Helm 24

Abdelkader 24

Kindl 24

Emmerton 23

Brunnstrom 26

Ericsson 27

Some of these guys are regulars and others may be fringe players but working towards trying to become regulars. But the fact that people like to claim that the Wings need more youth in their line up need to take a minute and think before they just spit out canned responses to try and sound hockey smart.

Also, if you had Smith on this roster instead of Commodore, which I'm neither for or against, think about the situation we'd be in right now as White has gotten hurt. You'd see a line up of:

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Smith

That's three inexperienced defensemen - no matter which pairings you choose. At least Commodore brings experience and is a bit of a reclamation project that potentially could work out well despite his lack of speed.

This is exactly what you'd like to see from a 6/7 guy. The only thing he has done badly that has stuck out to me was last night's delay of game penalty.

Considering he's only played 3 games now I think he's looked fine. Also, to the OP complaining he only played 6:40 that was because the Wings spent 15 full minutes on the PP. Commodore is averaging 10:14 TOI per game. Here's a breakdown of his TOI this season:

Nov 15 '11 DET @ STL 6:40

Nov 5 '11 ANA @ DET 13:06

Nov 3 '11 CGY @ DET 10:57

That looks pretty good to me - what a 6/7 d-man should be playing.

Regarding your youth movement argument, i agree for the most part. My issue isn't that significant, but the fact is is that most of our youth is expendable or in other words they are simply role players. The first two, Hudler and Filppula, are, in my eyes, underachivers at best. Nothing needs to be said about Hudler that hasn't already been said and Filppula can have his moments but he drives me crazy when most of the time he decides to shoot it is his "patented" pull the puck in close to his skates and use the defender as a screen shot. Our best scorers are 30+, and while they aren't THAT old, it is a little bit disconcerning that we haven't had a bona fide (zetterberg/datsyuk type) young stud come by in a while. I realize that they don't grow on trees, but still. I know of all the prospects we have and their potential. Here is hoping that Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, and Jurco turn out to be those guys.

No. Columbus didn't even want him last year.

And a huge part of the reason for that, and why no other team claimed him on waivers, was the ridiculous contract Columbus signed him to. At the price Kenny signed him for, I think there would be a pretty good chance some team would claim him at least on re-entry waivers seeing as how they would only be on the hook for 50% of his salary. I'm pretty sure there are enough teams out there who need help on the blue line that would take a chance on Commodore on re-entry waivers for $500k.

I'm almost hoping another one of the defencemen not named Lidstrom or Kronwall gets hurt for a few weeks so we can see more of what Commodore can bring.

Because that's pretty much what it's going to take to see him more consistently in the lineup.