• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
korrowan

Datsyuk knows he has been awful.

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20111116/SPORTS05/111116054/1053/sports05?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Asked how he felt how his season is going, Datsyuk was blunt.

"Awful," he said. "I don't have anything. I need more be productive, need more shoot, need more be dangerous. Need more be dangerous.

"Just go to net, go shoot, go to net, more handle the puck."

Datsyuk has just 10 points in 16 games, which works out to around a 60-point pace. In the years the Wings went to the Stanley Cup finals -- 2007-08 and 2008-09 -- Datsyuk neared 100 points.

"Need work harder," he said. "Work harder. It's only me. Not like near 120, where I wanted to be. I need score, and then more everything be better."

Well he's right about needing more shoot.

LOL he is always funny

Z&D will come around, they are too talented not to.

Hockey is a funny game some times you score alot on junk and sometimes you work really hard and make good plays and nothing.

It actually works out to around a 51 point pace, doesn't it?

Saying he's awful (even if he says it about himself) needs a big asterisk after it, as in awful *for Pavel Datsyuk.

But I don't think linemates are much of an excuse. Last season people were talking about how he's the best player in the world. Linemates shouldn't have that big of an impact when you're dealing with a star player, which Datsyuk is.

And it's not like he's had a bunch of great feeds that don't get converted. Sure that's happened on occasion, but more than points, he just doesn't look like himself this season. He doesn't have the puck on a string like he used to. And he's had a lot of turnovers (for him).

Hopefully it's just a funk and he'll break out of it very, very soon.

I'd try this...

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen

Basically switch Fil and Cleary. It's always seemed like Cleary plays better with Z than Pavel. The two were dominant along with Mule in the '09 playoffs. And Filppula should give Pavel a guy with speed who can handle the puck too.

Edited by Nevermind

I have always had a deep faith in him...I know he'll come out of this. It's just a matter of time and patience. Keep working, Pasha, and don't give up working. It will eventually right itself. I believe in you. I always have. I always will.

he just doesn't look like himself this season. He doesn't have the puck on a string like he used to. And he's had a lot of turnovers (for him).

This.

He looks completely unlike the Pavel we all know. And I couldn't think of a way to put it, but you put it perfectly saying he just doesn't have the puck on a string like used to. He seems to lose the puck a lot so far this season, and those plays that look like they should be simple to the Datsyuk we have known for the past years, he just can't complete, loses the puck off his stick, turns it over way more frequently than usual. Something definitely seems wrong. I am not sure if he tweeked his wrist againover the summer or if its something else, but he doesn't look even remotely close to how we are used to seeing him so far this year...

I'm hoping (like we all are) that he can turn it around sooner than later. Its frustrating as a fan to watch, so I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for him.

Edited by sleepwalker

Crosby may have more points than Datsyuk by the end of the season.

I'd put him on a line with Franzen. He needs a sniper alongside him, and Zetterberg hasn't clicked with Datsyuk for a while now. Obviously, Cleary and Homer are not the answer.

I agree with everybody - he could probably use some new linemates, but I think he has some work to do to get back to his usual self, too. More shoots would probably be helped along by playing with someone other than Cleary and Homer, but he's going to have to figure out the turnovers by himself.

If there's anybody on the team that I know will snap out of it, it's him, so I'm actually not too worried. It's the rest of our forwards that makes me bite my fingernails.

Guest Crymson

It actually works out to around a 51 point pace, doesn't it?

Saying he's awful (even if he says it about himself) needs a big asterisk after it, as in awful *for Pavel Datsyuk.

But I don't think linemates are much of an excuse. Last season people were talking about how he's the best player in the world. Linemates shouldn't have that big of an impact when you're dealing with a star player, which Datsyuk is.

And it's not like he's had a bunch of great feeds that don't get converted. Sure that's happened on occasion, but more than points, he just doesn't look like himself this season. He doesn't have the puck on a string like he used to. And he's had a lot of turnovers (for him).

Hopefully it's just a funk and he'll break out of it very, very soon.

I agree. I don't understand the focus on Cleary and Holmstrom.

I don't think he needs new linemates. Certainly they would help, better linemates would help any player. But being a star, he can dominate a game by himself. He'll get there. We all know he will. We just have to wait, unfortunately. It'll happen for him, probably once he stops worrying about it. Stop thinking, and just school your opponents again, Dats!

At least Pavel admits it. Too many of these guys on the team seem content with just getting by, where underachieving doesn't force a difference in effort nor results. I hate the fact that we have to discuss this "laziness" plague we see from the Red Wings so often. Nobody even came remotely close to outworking the 2008 team. Sure they were talented, but they wanted it more than anyone too.

I also tend to agree with those saying linemates shouldn't be the sole excuse for Pavel's play. He was with Z for awhile too and they managed very little offensively. Great players make everyone else around them better and Pavel has produced before playing with the likes of Cleary, Holmstrom, Franzen, etc. The problem with the Red Wings is there are no internal top-six replacements. I think we can debate Cleary and Holmstrom's worthiness all day of that role, but in reality what other options do the Wings have? I agree with switching Filppula and Cleary around, but there's only so many line combinations possible. The players just need to go out and do it and that starts with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I really think D and Z will come around and be like they were last year. It's only gonna take one game.

The only thing that scares me is, what if they dont? I mean what if they have an "off-season" then what? I just don't see anyone on here with the talent level to come remotely close to replacing the points that they aren't going to put up. I'm more scared than I am nervous, this team evolves around their play and I feel like that's why the team is down. I just hope they can turn it around, I am just going to brace myself for them NOT turning it around so I'm not at home crying with a bottle of whiskey when they don't make the playoffs.

I have full faith that we will make the playoffs and at least get to the WCF but the worst is in the back of my head....

I really think D and Z will come around and be like they were last year. It's only gonna take one game.

The only thing that scares me is, what if they dont? I mean what if they have an "off-season" then what? I just don't see anyone on here with the talent level to come remotely close to replacing the points that they aren't going to put up. I'm more scared than I am nervous, this team evolves around their play and I feel like that's why the team is down. I just hope they can turn it around, I am just going to brace myself for them NOT turning it around so I'm not at home crying with a bottle of whiskey when they don't make the playoffs.

I have full faith that we will make the playoffs and at least get to the WCF but the worst is in the back of my head....

Then we are going to see a lot more games like last night and the six-game losing streak. Franzen and Filppula are too streaky to carry the team offensively. Datsyuk and Zetterberg HAVE to get it going or I truly don't see this team making the playoffs in a very competitive conference.

The words "awful" and "Datsyuk" do not belong in the same sentence. I have complete faith in him and know we will see him back to his usual form in no time. Z, as well.

I think it's good that he's concerned, but that just means he's working on his issues. He'll be just fine, our Pasha.

What surprises me more is the following Babcock's quote in that article

"Not good enough," Babcock said. "Your power play has to be deadly. You have to wear people out. A good power play is if you win the faceoff, and you shoot, you shoot, you shoot, you shoot and put the next group out and you shoot, you shoot, and you shoot. Not one and done."

Why players don't do that? Are they not listening to Babcock at all? All we saw last game are numerious passes during PP. Well, we had 3 PPs without a shoot on goal. Looks like the only player who shoots is Ian White and he is injured right now. Something is seriously wrong.

Don't dwell on this, Pasha...the more you let it get to you, the worse it will get. Yes, be concerned, but not to the point where it becomes an obsession. The more you let this eat away at you, the worse you will get. Work hard, keep pushing yourself, but don't let it take over your life. The more you dwell on mistakes, the more mistakes you make. I learned that the hard way, believe me.

What surprises me more is the following Babcock's quote in that article

Why players don't do that? Are they not listening to Babcock at all? All we saw last game are numerious passes during PP. Well, we had 3 PPs without a shoot on goal. Looks like the only player who shoots is Ian White and he is injured right now. Something is seriously wrong.

Thats a good ******* question.

Babs isn't just saying that now, he has been saying it. Its like since Babs has been coach for a few years now, that the players are just used to him or something and ignore everything he tells them and let it go in one ear and out the other.

Babs "Shoot the puck on this PP, boys, none of this million pass game s***"

"OK, coach"

PP starts:

pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass

puck gets stripped and cleared

pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass

puck gets stripped and cleared

pass pass pass pass

pass gets intercepted and cleared

pass pass......

Well, you get the point.

I believe Pavel more than any other Wing. Can't wait to see him rebound in a huge way. Also, relating to our power play, we need someone other than Franzen who just does nothing but shoot. I'm not gonna present some obscure trade proposal but boy would that be great to see.