• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Brendan Smith watch thread

Rate this topic

The most surprising and imo telling pairing was Smith with Kindl. Neither player has more than a handful of NHL games worth of experience, but they've been playing a very simple, very tight game that it was a viable option for Babs without being a liability.

Kindl has been solid all yaer but I really think what allowed babs to use this pairing was the instant poise Smith brought to the NHL with him.

I'm also willing to say that behind Lidstrom, he has the best shot from the point. His release is lightning fast (E should watch him) and the puck is perfect height while being very hard.

I'm also willing to say that behind Lidstrom, he has the best shot from the point. His release is lightning fast (E should watch him) and the puck is perfect height while being very hard.

Agreed. Smith's offensive tools are really, really good. Love his skating too.

Smith has looked pretty good, but I think he should remain in the AHL. Getting 3rd pairing minutes does nothing for him. He needs to be in the top4 or in the AHL imho.

I feel like he has the speed and the ability to compete at this level. So if 3rd pairing right now is all he gets, any time in the NHL is better than any minutes in the AHL. He got his first point (although a little weak) but he still go it. He needs to stay on the 3rd like right now. He's still got a long way to go and I think he'll only finish developing by staying in the NHL and getting more minutes the better he plays.

Take a good look at Selanne tonight. Smith's development is what's going to ultimately land us a right handed sniper. Stuart is expendable now with Smith showing he can hold his own. Stuart and a 1st rounder to Anaheim for Selanne.

Now I know your just trolling, Salami will never be a Wing.

Take a good look at Selanne tonight. Smith's development is what's going to ultimately land us a right handed sniper. Stuart is expendable now with Smith showing he can hold his own. Stuart and a 1st rounder to Anaheim for Selanne.

You would really give up a 1st round pick for a guy who will probably retire next year?

EDIT: Not that I wouldn't want Selanne, but let's be real here, you don't trade guys with many years left in them for someone probably in their last.

Edited by VM1138

I feel like he has the speed and the ability to compete at this level. So if 3rd pairing right now is all he gets, any time in the NHL is better than any minutes in the AHL. He got his first point (although a little weak) but he still go it. He needs to stay on the 3rd like right now. He's still got a long way to go and I think he'll only finish developing by staying in the NHL and getting more minutes the better he plays.

Agreed. I'm sure there will be growing pains, but he's shown he can play at this level. He doesn't need over-ripening, because the Wings could use his offensive instincts.

It's hard to believe the Wings went from a panic-inducing empty blueline when Rafalski retired this offseason, to another logjam on defense.

I dont' see how Commodore is going to make it into this lineup unless there's a ton of injuries.

Except for that pesky No Movement Clause Selanne has (along with a multitude of other reasons). :ph34r:

Agreed. I'm sure there will be growing pains, but he's shown he can play at this level. He doesn't need over-ripening, because the Wings could use his offensive instincts.

It's hard to believe the Wings went from a panic-inducing empty blueline when Rafalski retired this offseason, to another logjam on defense.

I dont' see how Commodore is going to make it into this lineup unless there's a ton of injuries.

I think growing pains are what he need. I think him getting ragged on a little bit will improve his abilities. Especially if he is paired with a d-man who can cover for him. I think keeping him Kronners or Stweie would be best for him because that's who he needs to learn from. Really excited about his potential and what he brings to the franchise.

Except Smith is nowhere near Stuart's level defensively. Maybe that develops in time for Smith, but right now it's not even close. If anyone is expendable with Smith around, it becomes Kindl because the two are relatively similar.

A 1st round pick too for Selanne? No, thanks.

Kindl has been solid all yaer but I really think what allowed babs to use this pairing was the instant poise Smith brought to the NHL with him.

I disagree about Kindl. Although i won't say he has looked terrible, he does scare me in those situations where he is the last guy back and he needs to make an outlet pass with a forechecker coming in on him. He has been prone to turn those pucks over. There was an instance last night against the Ducks where this happened and the puck was chipped up and Jimmy had to make an awkward reaction save to it.

Smith likely will be sent back to the Grand Rapids Griffins when Ian White is cleared to play, which could be as soon as Wednesday against Calgary at Joe Louis Arena.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_brendan_smith_gains.html

I hope they're wrong about this. The kid deserves to stay in the lineup. And like they pointed out, the level of competition is different in the NHL so he needs to adapt his game at this level. More time in the AHL playing against weaker competition is only going to get him so far.

Smith needs to stay, Kindl needs to sit.. Ericsson really but contract too big.

Babcock sits Hudler and his $2.85 million contract. If he thought Ericsson should be sitting, I'm guessing he would be.

I've heard Babcock told smith he is staying in Detroit. Even when White comes back. Don't have a source to post but I think it's legit. And good because he should be staying.

I hope you're right.

waive bruno, sit hudler and play ericsson at forward when white comes back. Maybe ericsson could become a byfuglien type on forward like when he was with the hawks. thats the only way i see smith staying when white comes back unless someone on D is shipped out of town.

Smith needs to stay with the team; he deserves it. I think Babcock really wants him around and Holland as usual wants Smith to spend more time in Grand Rapids. I don't usually have a beef with the "overripe" philosophy, but in this instance I don't agree with it. I'm not convinced 25 minutes per night would be any more help to Smith than 12-15 with the Red Wings learning from and playing alongside Nick Lidstrom and Nik Kronwall. Sure there are going to be some mistakes and a learning curve defensively for Smith, but he has look composed and very NHL-ready so far.

I don't really have a problem with Ericsson or Kindl's play this season, but it appears so far that Smith's ceiling is quite a bit higher than Kindl's. Ericsson is very unlikely to get scratched, like it or not. Similar to Emmerton, he brings something to the team that the alternatives do not. If it means waiving Commodore to keep Smith, then I would do it in a second.

Lidstrom / White

Kronwall / Smith

Ericsson / Stuart

I can't justify putting Stuart back with Kronwall. Ericsson/Smith would get ugly defensively. Stuart would likely play with Kronwall anyways late in close games.

Smith needs to stay with the team; he deserves it. I think Babcock really wants him around and Holland as usual wants Smith to spend more time in Grand Rapids. I don't usually have a beef with the "overripe" philosophy, but in this instance I don't agree with it. I'm not convinced 25 minutes per night would be any more help to Smith than 12-15 with the Red Wings learning from and playing alongside Nick Lidstrom and Nik Kronwall. Sure there are going to be some mistakes and a learning curve defensively for Smith, but he has look composed and very NHL-ready so far.

I don't really have a problem with Ericsson or Kindl's play this season, but it appears so far that Smith's ceiling is quite a bit higher than Kindl's. Ericsson is very unlikely to get scratched, like it or not. Similar to Emmerton, he brings something to the team that the alternatives do not. If it means waiving Commodore to keep Smith, then I would do it in a second.

Lidstrom / White

Kronwall / Smith

Ericsson / Stuart

I can't justify putting Stuart back with Kronwall. Ericsson/Smith would get ugly defensively. Stuart would likely play with Kronwall anyways late in close games.

I agree. Stuart and Kronwall will have to be separated. The good news, though, is that there's enough talent spread around on D that we can roll three pairings with similar minutes should Babs want to, like he did last year. As the season progresses I anticipate he will cut Lidstrom's ice time.

Ericsson on forward is an interesting idea, just to see it done, but we've already got a logjam up front. I'm still not sure exactly what Ericsson brings that nobody else on defense does. Smith has shown a desire to hit, make bold plays and he has a history of fighting in the AHL, too, right?

I agree. Stuart and Kronwall will have to be separated. The good news, though, is that there's enough talent spread around on D that we can roll three pairings with similar minutes should Babs want to, like he did last year. As the season progresses I anticipate he will cut Lidstrom's ice time.

Ericsson on forward is an interesting idea, just to see it done, but we've already got a logjam up front. I'm still not sure exactly what Ericsson brings that nobody else on defense does. Smith has shown a desire to hit, make bold plays and he has a history of fighting in the AHL, too, right?

Ericsson does kill penalties and logs far more minutes than either Smith/Kindl/Commodore right now. I'm quite impressed with Smith through three games, but I think we would see far more mistakes from inexperience from him playing 18-20 minutes than 12-15. Neither Smith nor Kindl is really ready to kill penalties yet, which Ericsson is relatively decent at. I guess you could just roll with Lidstrom, White, Stuart and Kronwall on the PK but that just increases all of their workloads even more.

I really like Smith regardless and want to see more of him with the Red Wings.