• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

Only played about 14 mins tonight but looked good out there and got his first point.

I dont think he'll be out of the lineup for a while now. Looked pretty physical clearing the crease from what I saw as well. I know its only been 2 games but the kid looks like hes going to be a really good player

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#22 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

will be interesting to see what happens when White has recovered.

The best players will play eh, well i wait with baited breath on that one now as Smith looks more poised
than some of the senior D. I did notice that Babs put Smitty out with Lids a few times last night, which
is what I wanted in the first place, more of the same please Babs.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#23 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Ericsson
Stuart-Smith
Kindl

Would much rather have Kindl in over E but we know that won't happen. Those matchups look promising to me. Offense and defensive mixes in the pairings, give them fairly even ice time like last year and you've got a winning combination, I think.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#24 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Smith has looked pretty good, but I think he should remain in the AHL. Getting 3rd pairing minutes does nothing for him. He needs to be in the top4 or in the AHL imho.

#25 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

will be interesting to see what happens when White has recovered.

The best players will play eh, well i wait with baited breath on that one now as Smith looks more poised
than some of the senior D. I did notice that Babs put Smitty out with Lids a few times last night, which
is what I wanted in the first place, more of the same please Babs.

The most surprising and imo telling pairing was Smith with Kindl. Neither player has more than a handful of NHL games worth of experience, but they've been playing a very simple, very tight game that it was a viable option for Babs without being a liability.

#26 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

The most surprising and imo telling pairing was Smith with Kindl. Neither player has more than a handful of NHL games worth of experience, but they've been playing a very simple, very tight game that it was a viable option for Babs without being a liability.

Kindl has been solid all yaer but I really think what allowed babs to use this pairing was the instant poise Smith brought to the NHL with him.

I'm also willing to say that behind Lidstrom, he has the best shot from the point. His release is lightning fast (E should watch him) and the puck is perfect height while being very hard.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#27 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

I'm also willing to say that behind Lidstrom, he has the best shot from the point. His release is lightning fast (E should watch him) and the puck is perfect height while being very hard.

Agreed. Smith's offensive tools are really, really good. Love his skating too.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

The fact that Smith received PP time shows the confidence that Babcock has in him.

#29 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

Smith has looked pretty good, but I think he should remain in the AHL. Getting 3rd pairing minutes does nothing for him. He needs to be in the top4 or in the AHL imho.

I feel like he has the speed and the ability to compete at this level. So if 3rd pairing right now is all he gets, any time in the NHL is better than any minutes in the AHL. He got his first point (although a little weak) but he still go it. He needs to stay on the 3rd like right now. He's still got a long way to go and I think he'll only finish developing by staying in the NHL and getting more minutes the better he plays.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#30 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

if he stays up, maybe weve seen the last of Huds on the point on the PP ( well Smith wouldnt have got burnt by Richards) :D
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#31 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Take a good look at Selanne tonight. Smith's development is what's going to ultimately land us a right handed sniper. Stuart is expendable now with Smith showing he can hold his own. Stuart and a 1st rounder to Anaheim for Selanne.

#32 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Take a good look at Selanne tonight. Smith's development is what's going to ultimately land us a right handed sniper. Stuart is expendable now with Smith showing he can hold his own. Stuart and a 1st rounder to Anaheim for Selanne.

Now I know your just trolling, Salami will never be a Wing.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

You would really give up a 1st round pick for a guy who will probably retire next year?

EDIT: Not that I wouldn't want Selanne, but let's be real here, you don't trade guys with many years left in them for someone probably in their last.

Edited by VM1138, 20 November 2011 - 06:16 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

Selanne will retire a Duck.

#35 Steve Sample

Steve Sample

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Selanne WILL retire a Duck. Stuart is not expendable, he is the only one that will play tough in front of our net and help Jimmy out with net crashers. If anyone is expenable with Smith being in the line up I would say it is Ericsson.

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

I feel like he has the speed and the ability to compete at this level. So if 3rd pairing right now is all he gets, any time in the NHL is better than any minutes in the AHL. He got his first point (although a little weak) but he still go it. He needs to stay on the 3rd like right now. He's still got a long way to go and I think he'll only finish developing by staying in the NHL and getting more minutes the better he plays.

Agreed. I'm sure there will be growing pains, but he's shown he can play at this level. He doesn't need over-ripening, because the Wings could use his offensive instincts.

It's hard to believe the Wings went from a panic-inducing empty blueline when Rafalski retired this offseason, to another logjam on defense.

I dont' see how Commodore is going to make it into this lineup unless there's a ton of injuries.

#37 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Except for that pesky No Movement Clause Selanne has (along with a multitude of other reasons). :ph34r:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#38 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Agreed. I'm sure there will be growing pains, but he's shown he can play at this level. He doesn't need over-ripening, because the Wings could use his offensive instincts.

It's hard to believe the Wings went from a panic-inducing empty blueline when Rafalski retired this offseason, to another logjam on defense.

I dont' see how Commodore is going to make it into this lineup unless there's a ton of injuries.

I think growing pains are what he need. I think him getting ragged on a little bit will improve his abilities. Especially if he is paired with a d-man who can cover for him. I think keeping him Kronners or Stweie would be best for him because that's who he needs to learn from. Really excited about his potential and what he brings to the franchise.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#39 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Except Smith is nowhere near Stuart's level defensively. Maybe that develops in time for Smith, but right now it's not even close. If anyone is expendable with Smith around, it becomes Kindl because the two are relatively similar.

A 1st round pick too for Selanne? No, thanks.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#40 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Kindl has been solid all yaer but I really think what allowed babs to use this pairing was the instant poise Smith brought to the NHL with him.

I disagree about Kindl. Although i won't say he has looked terrible, he does scare me in those situations where he is the last guy back and he needs to make an outlet pass with a forechecker coming in on him. He has been prone to turn those pucks over. There was an instance last night against the Ducks where this happened and the puck was chipped up and Jimmy had to make an awkward reaction save to it.