• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bert44

Make this team better

Rate this topic

Yea... admittedly, I got a little out of hand with that one... the driving point I was making, albeit in an over the top manner, was I think we need a drastic roster shake up to wake some people up... and at least 2 roster players are probably going to have to be involved to do this...

Yeah, I mean you're probably right. Some one noted in another thread that this situation feels similar to just prior to the Shanahan deal. Complacency is definitely an issue.

I've been one that's wanted to wait and see where this team is at and then ideally make a move at the deadline. Problem is it may be too late by then. They need a jump start for sure.

Also, to me this team needs a turn around more for Lidstrom's sake than for making the playoffs. There is no way Lidstrom shoudl retire after a crap season. He'd also feel as though they aren't competitive enough to stick around.

A trade for Parise or Semin is the only thing that would be big enough for the Wings imo. Those of you saying to trade for a goalie, that will make NO DIFFERENCE at all for the team's success because Howard has been playing pretty much lights out all season... the problem has been our big boys. Semin has not been great this season, just like Franzen, so I think some sort of trade between those 2 would be great for both teams, but a major move is necessary for the Wings imo.

A trade for Parise or Semin is the only thing that would be big enough for the Wings imo. Those of you saying to trade for a goalie, that will make NO DIFFERENCE at all for the team's success because Howard has been playing pretty much lights out all season... the problem has been our big boys. Semin has not been great this season, just like Franzen, so I think some sort of trade between those 2 would be great for both teams, but a major move is necessary for the Wings imo.

I just don't like Semin's compete level... Franzen takes nights off too though, so, who knows...

I just don't like Semin's compete level... Franzen takes nights off too though, so, who knows...

I would rather have Semin than Franzen, honestly. Semin is just small and lazy. Franzen is big and lazy, which is worse. Doesn't use his size at all.

Semin hasn't played well in the playoffs, but I think him and Datsyuk would be magic. A right-handed one timer and a fellow Russian might wake Pavel up. Datsyuk and Franzen just seem to have no chemistry, which is why they've never stayed together for long.

Franzen does not have the shooting ability that Semin could provide... Semin has played 2nd line minutes with no one on is line in washington and still gets 30 goals... I think him and Pavs could be a great duo and, more than that, I think Babs could fix the lazyness factor since he is so young.

TO add to that, it would make our powerplay units much more dynamic because we could have a right hander on the point on BOTH units.

PP1: Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer

Semin- Lidstrom

PP2: Cleary- Filpulla- Hudler

White- Kronwall

I think a trade for Semin would do wonders for the wings...

Guest Crymson

Ah, yes. We should trade Franzen, whose inconsistency bothers us, for Semin, whose inconsistency utterly peeves Capitals fans at some points--and who, to boot, has known attitude problems. Oh, and he'll cost a lot more.

Bear in mind that as much as some of you are ragging on Franzen, he's currently the team leader in scoring with nine goals and seven assists; he plays a good defensive game; and he comes at an affordable price. Semin is currently having an awful season (4G, 5A), is known to be a prick at times, is known to be very lazy at times, and comes at a higher cost.

I disagree with said suggestion. It seems like another "let's make a trade for the sake of making a trade" ideas.

Edited by Crymson

I would rather have Semin than Franzen, honestly. Semin is just small and lazy. Franzen is big and lazy, which is worse. Doesn't use his size at all.

Semin hasn't played well in the playoffs, but I think him and Datsyuk would be magic. A right-handed one timer and a fellow Russian might wake Pavel up. Datsyuk and Franzen just seem to have no chemistry, which is why they've never stayed together for long.

Big and lazy is worse?? Not sure I follow your reasoning. At least when Franzen decides to play he uses his size as an asset.

And trading one lazy player for another doesn't sound like a great idea to fix this team.

Franzen does not have the shooting ability that Semin could provide... Semin has played 2nd line minutes with no one on is line in washington and still gets 30 goals... I think him and Pavs could be a great duo and, more than that, I think Babs could fix the lazyness factor since he is so young.

TO add to that, it would make our powerplay units much more dynamic because we could have a right hander on the point on BOTH units.

PP1: Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer

Semin- Lidstrom

PP2: Cleary- Filpulla- Hudler

White- Kronwall

I think a trade for Semin would do wonders for the wings...

As stated above, Semin is talented but has a questionable compete level. That's the last thing this team needs.

Here's just the latest example:

Washington rallied for a 3-1 win over the Devils at Prudential Center on goals by Alex Ovechkin, Jason Chimera and Marcus Johansson. The Capitals also did it without the services of talented Russian winger Alexander Semin, who was benched by Boudreau for the final 24 minutes.

“I just thought a couple guys weren’t going,” Boudreau said before addressing the reason he sat Semin. “Sometimes he’s a great player and he’s a player we’re going to need tomorrow night [against the Devils again]. I just thought you take another penalty and at the same time, there were some plays where I thought he could have done a little bit more and he didn’t. Again, one of those feelings.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Ah, yes. We should trade Franzen, whose inconsistency bothers us, for Semin, whose inconsistency utterly peeves Capitals fans at some points--and who, to boot, has known attitude problems. Oh, and he'll cost a lot more.

Bear in mind that as much as some of you are ragging on Franzen, he's currently the team leader in scoring with nine goals and seven assists; he plays a good defensive game; and he comes at an affordable price. Semin is currently having an awful season (4G, 5A), is known to be a prick at times, is known to be very lazy at times, and comes at a higher cost.

I disagree with said suggestion. It seems like another "let's make a trade for the sake of making a trade" ideas.

I agree that I wouldn't want to exchange Franzen for Semin. Although, I don't think I'm nearly as opposed to Semin (in general) as you are. There are people out there who want Semin, and that's fine, but if it were me who was trying to acquire Semin I would be doing so to add him to our scoring without the cost of trading Franzen. I'd do it in a way where Franzen would not be going the other way.

Guest Heaten

Why do people want to trade Franzen? he's the only forward in the top 6 showing up.

Trade picks / prospects for a big 35 goal scorer, waive Hudler, and move Fippula down to center the 3rd for scoring depth.

Jeff Carter wants to be traded, he's a big 35 goal scorer... he even scored over 40 goals a few years ago. He may have character issues, but there are no realistic better options. Devils aren't moving Parise.

Edited by Heaten

Why do people want to trade Franzen? he's the only forward in the top 6 showing up.

Trade picks / prospects for a big 35 goal scorer, waive Hudler, and move Fippula down to center the 3rd for scoring depth.

Jeff Carter wants to be traded, he's a big 35 goal scorer... he even scored over 40 goals a few years ago. He may have character issues, but there are no realistic better options. Devils aren't moving Parise.

What? Franzen and Fil are the only reason we have 19 points on the season. We don't need more 'depth', we need our top paid players to show up. Franzen and Fil should stay on the same line until this happens, otherwise we're going to be losing a lot more than 6 in a row.

As much as we all wish we could turn our coal into diamonds, it just isn't going to happen. I have said it before and Ill continue to say it. The way you get impact players is to poach them off of a struggling team my giving them prospects and picks for their rebuild. The players we should be talking about are not Parise (If the Devils are in a playoff hunt why on earth would they move him). The players we should be looking at are Iginla, Spezza, Carter, Doan, and other other decent player on a bad team.

Holland has already stated in interviews that the 1st round pick is basically on the table and that we have one of the deepest prospect pools that we have had in a long time. If we want to get an impact player on our roster we will have to pay for him. One of Jarnkrok, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Tatar, Jurco, or one of our other "high potential forwards".

This team would not gain much by moving one of our top 6 forwards (filppula, franzen) for another top 6 forward. We need 5-6 top 6 forwards not the 4 we have. When your a contender your move prospects and picks to get deeper. When your a rebuilding team you sell your impact players for picks and prospects.

Edited by Crashnburnluder

id love to work something around carter. we could use a right handed center. i mean okay, he had issues in philly but the ones he has in cbj are all due to the fact that he got traded to the worst team in the league. I think he'd be a great fit here. I'd try something around cleary, ericsson, 1st for carter - detroit adds a prospect. I wish hudler could be added but won't work for the bj's cap. Kindl looks good and is much cheaper than ericsson and without big E's contract thats more money to throw at suter. Bring smith up for good.

My personal opion is to bring in Marty Turco get rid of Ty conklin, Have Jimmy howard to work harder at being a better goalie. when is the last time a detroit goalie stole a game for them, I also don't like juri Hudler to much gives the puck away way to much and is really soft on defense. Get well soon Bert

What we need is a goal scorer on our 1st line! We don't have one Dats doesnt shoot the puck plus he is more of a set up guy Cleary is a grinder and Homer well homer is what Homer always has been someone to park in front of the net.

The way for us to be better is for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play better. 5g/18p in 17 games is just not near good enough. Double those stats and we're probably 12-5 or 13-4, at or near the top of the league.

Juggling role players would do nothing. Adding a sniper would help, but if Pav and Hank continue to struggle it won't be enough, especially if we gave up Flip or Franzen considering they have been our best forwards this year. Defensemen, team defense, and goalie have all been good. Bottom 6 has been good. We could use more from Cleary/Huds/Homer, but that's a minor issue and likely corrected by Pav and Hank improving.

Stars are supposed to make the supporting cast better, not the other way around. The only thing we really need is for our stars to be stars.

The way for us to be better is for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play better. 5g/18p in 17 games is just not near good enough. Double those stats and we're probably 12-5 or 13-4, at or near the top of the league.

Juggling role players would do nothing. Adding a sniper would help, but if Pav and Hank continue to struggle it won't be enough, especially if we gave up Flip or Franzen considering they have been our best forwards this year. Defensemen, team defense, and goalie have all been good. Bottom 6 has been good. We could use more from Cleary/Huds/Homer, but that's a minor issue and likely corrected by Pav and Hank improving.

Stars are supposed to make the supporting cast better, not the other way around. The only thing we really need is for our stars to be stars.

yes, but adding a skilled player helps them in the long run. Takes weight off of their shoulders and helps them find better players to pass to and get passes from... Datsyuk with Carter is better then Datsyuk with Cleary

I do hear you on the Semin problems, but maybe a change of scenery will help... and to say Franzen currently leads the Wings in scoring with 9 goals, ya, he does, but 5 of those goals came in 2 games. I'd rather have a goal every other game, more consistency. Semin is having a rough season too, so I would probably not like that deal either.

We need a Doan type player and a Parise type player, if we could get them somehow then I believe this team would improve. Like I said in another post, I am all for dealing now, beause this type of play is totally unacceptable at the moment and honestly I don't see it changing with the group we have. I know we all have said lets wait until the deadline, but losing 8 out of 12 could put us out of the playoffs by then. I don't know what or who to trade, but I certainly hope, as we type here, Ken Holland is on the phone finding out who may be available...

Heck, I am still up for somehow acquiring Malhotra and Moen to change the makeup of this team. IF we could add a player or two or three like Doan, Parise, Malhotra and/or Moen, heck even try to re-get Hossa somehow (although I think Chicago is fairly happy with him and would NOT trade him to us anyway) this team would turn it around pretty quick.

This team just doesn't have it anymore. You have two stars (who are struggling) and 4-5 above average role players up front, and pretty much 1 all star on D and an outstanding goalie. That's pretty much 14 players that are expendable in my book. I like White, so add him to the D and that is it.

Dastyuk - Zetterberg - Abby - Helm - Eaves - Filppula - Lidstrom - White - Howard. I like Holmstrom and for his age he has ok numbers, but with the powerplay struggling, has he lost his effectiveness? If we have a chance to acquire the player(s) we need, unfortunately Kronwall, Franzen and Hudler and Ericsson are the top of the list to be traded, along with prospects and picks. Personally, I am ready for a shake up. This kind of play is not good... Would I rather see our guys turn it around? Of course! I hope and pray that they do, but it just doesn't look likely...

I was going to make a thread about the trade I think is most likely to happen next, but I'll post here instead.

Teemu Selanne will be a Red Wing soon, imo. This team is SCREAMING for a right handed sniper or two who can bury the puck and have decent speed. I would look for the Wings to trade Brad Stuart and a pick to Anaheim for Selanne before the beginning of the 2012. That will fill one hole. A trade deadline move could be made to get Parise or Hemsky later on, as well.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Parise

Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

Mursak-Abdelkader-Emmerton

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Smith

Ericsson-Kindl

Howard

Conklin

YES PLEASE.

i think a lot of people on this board are dreaming.

obviously just my opinion but i think we can all agree that holland loves being loyal.

holmstrom will never get traded.

cleary probably never will and i believe has a no trade clause.

franzen has a contract for the next 100 years.

the problem is our top end talent and way too many bottom 6 guys.

z,franzen,dats,flip

cleary, helm, abby, bertuzzi, eaves, miller, homer, brunnstrom, emmerton, hudler

this team flat out just doesn't have enough scoring on a nightly basis. (currently anyway)

Edited by DRW Dominance

Guest Heaten

I do hear you on the Semin problems, but maybe a change of scenery will help... and to say Franzen currently leads the Wings in scoring with 9 goals, ya, he does, but 5 of those goals came in 2 games. I'd rather have a goal every other game, more consistency. Semin is having a rough season too, so I would probably not like that deal either.

We need a Doan type player and a Parise type player, if we could get them somehow then I believe this team would improve. Like I said in another post, I am all for dealing now, beause this type of play is totally unacceptable at the moment and honestly I don't see it changing with the group we have. I know we all have said lets wait until the deadline, but losing 8 out of 12 could put us out of the playoffs by then. I don't know what or who to trade, but I certainly hope, as we type here, Ken Holland is on the phone finding out who may be available...

Heck, I am still up for somehow acquiring Malhotra and Moen to change the makeup of this team. IF we could add a player or two or three like Doan, Parise, Malhotra and/or Moen, heck even try to re-get Hossa somehow (although I think Chicago is fairly happy with him and would NOT trade him to us anyway) this team would turn it around pretty quick.

This team just doesn't have it anymore. You have two stars (who are struggling) and 4-5 above average role players up front, and pretty much 1 all star on D and an outstanding goalie. That's pretty much 14 players that are expendable in my book. I like White, so add him to the D and that is it.

Dastyuk - Zetterberg - Abby - Helm - Eaves - Filppula - Lidstrom - White - Howard. I like Holmstrom and for his age he has ok numbers, but with the powerplay struggling, has he lost his effectiveness? If we have a chance to acquire the player(s) we need, unfortunately Kronwall, Franzen and Hudler and Ericsson are the top of the list to be traded, along with prospects and picks. Personally, I am ready for a shake up. This kind of play is not good... Would I rather see our guys turn it around? Of course! I hope and pray that they do, but it just doesn't look likely...

So we lose 5-3 yesterday instead of 5-2. Yeah, that's an improvement!

How many GWGs does Semin have and how many GWGs does Franzen have? My guess is Franzen is more clutch.

I think Holland's chances of getting Parise is about as likely as getting Ovchkin; none.

There's lots of players people want Holland to ****** up, but the problem is they are players Holland can't get (unless you want to overpay significantly, I guess everyone is for sale if you give up everything). This isn't NHL11.

I was going to make a thread about the trade I think is most likely to happen next, but I'll post here instead.

Teemu Selanne will be a Red Wing soon, imo. This team is SCREAMING for a right handed sniper or two who can bury the puck and have decent speed. I would look for the Wings to trade Brad Stuart and a pick to Anaheim for Selanne before the beginning of the 2012. That will fill one hole. A trade deadline move could be made to get Parise or Hemsky later on, as well.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Parise

Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

Mursak-Abdelkader-Emmerton

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Smith

Ericsson-Kindl

Howard

Conklin

YES PLEASE.

I can dig it, but I would think any trade involving the Wings getting Parise or Hemsky wold no doubt include one of or both Franzen and Hudler...just my opinion.

franzen needs to be traded now while he has value. its only a matter of time before he disappears again or gets injured. get out of that contract kenny, that 4M is going to be a huge albatross when his body completely breaks down. same could be said for Z, hate the long contracts and not a fan of kronwall's either. who knows what these guys will be like in 2-3 years from now.

franzen needs to be traded now while he has value. its only a matter of time before he disappears again or gets injured. get out of that contract kenny, that 4M is going to be a huge albatross when his body completely breaks down. same could be said for Z, hate the long contracts and not a fan of kronwall's either. who knows what these guys will be like in 2-3 years from now.

I agree totally, except for Zetterberg. I would trade Franzen and Kronwall in a heartbeat, those two as a package would get you a high end top 6 or a top 2 defenseman.