• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

The way for us to be better is for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play better. 5g/18p in 17 games is just not near good enough. Double those stats and we're probably 12-5 or 13-4, at or near the top of the league.

Juggling role players would do nothing. Adding a sniper would help, but if Pav and Hank continue to struggle it won't be enough, especially if we gave up Flip or Franzen considering they have been our best forwards this year. Defensemen, team defense, and goalie have all been good. Bottom 6 has been good. We could use more from Cleary/Huds/Homer, but that's a minor issue and likely corrected by Pav and Hank improving.

Stars are supposed to make the supporting cast better, not the other way around. The only thing we really need is for our stars to be stars.

#42 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

The way for us to be better is for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play better. 5g/18p in 17 games is just not near good enough. Double those stats and we're probably 12-5 or 13-4, at or near the top of the league.

Juggling role players would do nothing. Adding a sniper would help, but if Pav and Hank continue to struggle it won't be enough, especially if we gave up Flip or Franzen considering they have been our best forwards this year. Defensemen, team defense, and goalie have all been good. Bottom 6 has been good. We could use more from Cleary/Huds/Homer, but that's a minor issue and likely corrected by Pav and Hank improving.

Stars are supposed to make the supporting cast better, not the other way around. The only thing we really need is for our stars to be stars.

yes, but adding a skilled player helps them in the long run. Takes weight off of their shoulders and helps them find better players to pass to and get passes from... Datsyuk with Carter is better then Datsyuk with Cleary

#43 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Ah, yes. We should trade Franzen, whose inconsistency bothers us, for Semin, whose inconsistency utterly peeves Capitals fans at some points--and who, to boot, has known attitude problems. Oh, and he'll cost a lot more.

Bear in mind that as much as some of you are ragging on Franzen, he's currently the team leader in scoring with nine goals and seven assists; he plays a good defensive game; and he comes at an affordable price. Semin is currently having an awful season (4G, 5A), is known to be a prick at times, is known to be very lazy at times, and comes at a higher cost.

I disagree with said suggestion. It seems like another "let's make a trade for the sake of making a trade" ideas.

I do hear you on the Semin problems, but maybe a change of scenery will help... and to say Franzen currently leads the Wings in scoring with 9 goals, ya, he does, but 5 of those goals came in 2 games. I'd rather have a goal every other game, more consistency. Semin is having a rough season too, so I would probably not like that deal either.

We need a Doan type player and a Parise type player, if we could get them somehow then I believe this team would improve. Like I said in another post, I am all for dealing now, beause this type of play is totally unacceptable at the moment and honestly I don't see it changing with the group we have. I know we all have said lets wait until the deadline, but losing 8 out of 12 could put us out of the playoffs by then. I don't know what or who to trade, but I certainly hope, as we type here, Ken Holland is on the phone finding out who may be available...

Heck, I am still up for somehow acquiring Malhotra and Moen to change the makeup of this team. IF we could add a player or two or three like Doan, Parise, Malhotra and/or Moen, heck even try to re-get Hossa somehow (although I think Chicago is fairly happy with him and would NOT trade him to us anyway) this team would turn it around pretty quick.

This team just doesn't have it anymore. You have two stars (who are struggling) and 4-5 above average role players up front, and pretty much 1 all star on D and an outstanding goalie. That's pretty much 14 players that are expendable in my book. I like White, so add him to the D and that is it.

Dastyuk - Zetterberg - Abby - Helm - Eaves - Filppula - Lidstrom - White - Howard. I like Holmstrom and for his age he has ok numbers, but with the powerplay struggling, has he lost his effectiveness? If we have a chance to acquire the player(s) we need, unfortunately Kronwall, Franzen and Hudler and Ericsson are the top of the list to be traded, along with prospects and picks. Personally, I am ready for a shake up. This kind of play is not good... Would I rather see our guys turn it around? Of course! I hope and pray that they do, but it just doesn't look likely...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#44 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

I was going to make a thread about the trade I think is most likely to happen next, but I'll post here instead.

Teemu Selanne will be a Red Wing soon, imo. This team is SCREAMING for a right handed sniper or two who can bury the puck and have decent speed. I would look for the Wings to trade Brad Stuart and a pick to Anaheim for Selanne before the beginning of the 2012. That will fill one hole. A trade deadline move could be made to get Parise or Hemsky later on, as well.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Parise
Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne
Hudler-Helm-Cleary
Mursak-Abdelkader-Emmerton

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-Kindl

Howard
Conklin

YES PLEASE.

#45 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

i think a lot of people on this board are dreaming.

obviously just my opinion but i think we can all agree that holland loves being loyal.

holmstrom will never get traded.
cleary probably never will and i believe has a no trade clause.
franzen has a contract for the next 100 years.

the problem is our top end talent and way too many bottom 6 guys.

z,franzen,dats,flip

cleary, helm, abby, bertuzzi, eaves, miller, homer, brunnstrom, emmerton, hudler

this team flat out just doesn't have enough scoring on a nightly basis. (currently anyway)

Edited by DRW Dominance, 18 November 2011 - 07:00 PM.

naked is a state of mind

#46 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Selanne will never wear the Winged Wheel. Sorry.

#47 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

I do hear you on the Semin problems, but maybe a change of scenery will help... and to say Franzen currently leads the Wings in scoring with 9 goals, ya, he does, but 5 of those goals came in 2 games. I'd rather have a goal every other game, more consistency. Semin is having a rough season too, so I would probably not like that deal either.

We need a Doan type player and a Parise type player, if we could get them somehow then I believe this team would improve. Like I said in another post, I am all for dealing now, beause this type of play is totally unacceptable at the moment and honestly I don't see it changing with the group we have. I know we all have said lets wait until the deadline, but losing 8 out of 12 could put us out of the playoffs by then. I don't know what or who to trade, but I certainly hope, as we type here, Ken Holland is on the phone finding out who may be available...

Heck, I am still up for somehow acquiring Malhotra and Moen to change the makeup of this team. IF we could add a player or two or three like Doan, Parise, Malhotra and/or Moen, heck even try to re-get Hossa somehow (although I think Chicago is fairly happy with him and would NOT trade him to us anyway) this team would turn it around pretty quick.

This team just doesn't have it anymore. You have two stars (who are struggling) and 4-5 above average role players up front, and pretty much 1 all star on D and an outstanding goalie. That's pretty much 14 players that are expendable in my book. I like White, so add him to the D and that is it.

Dastyuk - Zetterberg - Abby - Helm - Eaves - Filppula - Lidstrom - White - Howard. I like Holmstrom and for his age he has ok numbers, but with the powerplay struggling, has he lost his effectiveness? If we have a chance to acquire the player(s) we need, unfortunately Kronwall, Franzen and Hudler and Ericsson are the top of the list to be traded, along with prospects and picks. Personally, I am ready for a shake up. This kind of play is not good... Would I rather see our guys turn it around? Of course! I hope and pray that they do, but it just doesn't look likely...

So we lose 5-3 yesterday instead of 5-2. Yeah, that's an improvement!

How many GWGs does Semin have and how many GWGs does Franzen have? My guess is Franzen is more clutch.

I think Holland's chances of getting Parise is about as likely as getting Ovchkin; none.

There's lots of players people want Holland to ****** up, but the problem is they are players Holland can't get (unless you want to overpay significantly, I guess everyone is for sale if you give up everything). This isn't NHL11.

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

I was going to make a thread about the trade I think is most likely to happen next, but I'll post here instead.

Teemu Selanne will be a Red Wing soon, imo. This team is SCREAMING for a right handed sniper or two who can bury the puck and have decent speed. I would look for the Wings to trade Brad Stuart and a pick to Anaheim for Selanne before the beginning of the 2012. That will fill one hole. A trade deadline move could be made to get Parise or Hemsky later on, as well.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Parise
Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne
Hudler-Helm-Cleary
Mursak-Abdelkader-Emmerton

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-Kindl

Howard
Conklin

YES PLEASE.

I can dig it, but I would think any trade involving the Wings getting Parise or Hemsky wold no doubt include one of or both Franzen and Hudler...just my opinion.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#49 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

franzen needs to be traded now while he has value. its only a matter of time before he disappears again or gets injured. get out of that contract kenny, that 4M is going to be a huge albatross when his body completely breaks down. same could be said for Z, hate the long contracts and not a fan of kronwall's either. who knows what these guys will be like in 2-3 years from now.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

franzen needs to be traded now while he has value. its only a matter of time before he disappears again or gets injured. get out of that contract kenny, that 4M is going to be a huge albatross when his body completely breaks down. same could be said for Z, hate the long contracts and not a fan of kronwall's either. who knows what these guys will be like in 2-3 years from now.

I agree totally, except for Zetterberg. I would trade Franzen and Kronwall in a heartbeat, those two as a package would get you a high end top 6 or a top 2 defenseman.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#51 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Have Jimmy howard to work harder at being a better goalie.

8-5-1
SV%.928
GAA 1.90
SO 3

when is the last time a detroit goalie stole a game for them

#52 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

It's not going to happen, but I think Zetterberg should seriously be considered for a trade. He has value to other teams (most of them aren't going to be interested in Hudler, sorry), he isn't working out (last season was pretty damn streaky, this one's flat), and trading him would let every other player know that this is serious (something that firing Babcock won't do).

I think Z + 1st rounder could net Nash + Carter. That's a team that's looking to change in a big way, and they would kill to get a center like Z. The big down side is that they're in the division, but the other teams that are struggling don't have much to offer and probably aren't willing to do something like that.

I know it's crazy talk and will never happen, but it should.

#53 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I can dig it, but I would think any trade involving the Wings getting Parise or Hemsky wold no doubt include one of or both Franzen and Hudler...just my opinion.

I would think they'd be after our youth more than Hudler and Franzen. I think the Hemsky/Selanne/Parise/Semin bids are going to cost the Wings a Smith/Mursak/Tatar/Kindl type guy plus a couple picks.

#54 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

Teemu Selanne will be a Red Wing soon, imo.

Selanne will retire a Duck. Beyond that, he's a vital scorer for a goal-starved Anaheim team; he's a local hero; and he's on a small contract.

look for the Wings to trade Brad Stuart and a pick to Anaheim for Selanne before the beginning of the 2012. That will fill one hole.

Stuart is on the final year of his deal. And why would the Ducks even want him anyway? They're fine on defensive-D depth.

A trade deadline move could be made to get Parise or Hemsky later on, as well.

Three big deadline deals would be: a) impossible to pull off, and b) would drain the Wings` farm for the next five years.

#55 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

It's not going to happen, but I think Zetterberg should seriously be considered for a trade. He has value to other teams (most of them aren't going to be interested in Hudler, sorry), he isn't working out (last season was pretty damn streaky, this one's flat), and trading him would let every other player know that this is serious (something that firing Babcock won't do).

I think Z + 1st rounder could net Nash + Carter. That's a team that's looking to change in a big way, and they would kill to get a center like Z. The big down side is that they're in the division, but the other teams that are struggling don't have much to offer and probably aren't willing to do something like that.

I know it's crazy talk and will never happen, but it should.

It's not the fact that it's our division. I don't know what it is with wings fans thinking that other teams will trade there beat pieces for our struggling players...?

I also don't understand how trading Kronwall and Zetterberg for another player makes is better. I don't care who u bring in but besides Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, and the Sedins, that trade bringing back ie guy will Always make us worse. For this team to get better via trade STOP Looking at roster players, only one of them will be moved for the sole purpose of a roster space. The rest will be picks or prospects. Especially the LAST place Blue jackets.

If Columbus traded Nash and Carter for an Aging Zetterberg I want what ever glue he is huffing. As Winga fans is time to start taking the scraps out of the trade list cause they will get no return and start putting the names down that will. Without hurting our team. Trading Zetterberg will Never help this team or Kronwall. Won't happen no way no how. Look at the prospects and our 1sr round pick and u will find what we have to offer. Every body says draft picks are sooooo valuable. Exactly so stop pretending were going to land Parise on the contending Devils with Hudler involved. Start
Looking at Carter, SPEZZA and Iggy... Horrible teams with players that want a shot or want out and teams that want to rebuild with picks and prospects. No not Hudler, Cleary or Bertuzzi...

Selanne will retire a Duck. Beyond that, he's a vital scorer for a goal-starved Anaheim team; he's a local hero; and he's on a small contract.

Stuart is on the final year of his deal. And why would the Ducks even want him anyway? They're fine on defensive-D depth.

Three big deadline deals would be: a) impossible to pull off, and b) would drain the Wings` farm for the next five years.

I would say that were the deepest we have been in the farm for a while, I don't think trading for 1 guy would drain out farms yea would it cost a lot yea. Would it train our youth, no...

#56 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

edmonton is hurting on D and the wings have a surplus, definite trade partner there.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#57 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

No trades planned, per Kenny Holland. http://www.freep.com...roit Red Wings)

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#58 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

This I disagree with. I think the Ducks are going to give him up for a player like Mursak/Tatar and Stuart.

Stuart could crack the Ducks line-up on defense. He's better than the guys on their 5/6 pairings.

Because this could be the last shot they have at winning. Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Datsyuk aren't exactly looking like they're owning the league anymore. I agree with you that it's going to be tough to make that kind of a deal happen, though.

#59 NeedMoreToughness

NeedMoreToughness

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Right handed top six players with SIZE. Teams like the San Jose Sharks just run over the current Roster.

#60 Steve Sample

Steve Sample

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hemsky????? Why? He is made of glass and even when he isn't hurt he can be streaky at best. Kenny bet on Hossa over Mule and lost then he signed Hudler for some reason after he didn't fit the first time. Ken Holland has made some amazing deals in the past but his track record in the last couple of years looks not so good. Sure the team has been very good but when a player like Hossa that is a true sniper and very good two way player comes along you can't let them get away. I think this team needs a trade. The comfort level amoung the players is too high and its starting to show. Kenny should shop Mule and Flip and see whats out there. Maybe the rumour of a trade would spark this team up a bit???