• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Jonathan Ericsson Watch Thread

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

He's got a decent pass and a hard slapshot. He's just horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE at using it. The average defensive defenseman can wind up a slapshot and have it hit somewhere near the net. Ericsson can't.

According to who?

Ericsson has never scored 40 points in his career, let alone doing it in the NHL. He's a converted forward, but I've not heard or seen any real expectations of him to be an offensive producer for the Wings. His potential is to be a big physical puck moving defenseman who can kill penalties and clear the crease. Ideally sort of like Stuart but with a better first pass.

Acoording to the way he plays the game. Just because he isn't very good at it doesn't mean that's not what he is. (Well, two-way defenseman would be more accurate, but his play definitely leans more toward offense.) Likewise, just because he's big and we all want him to be a Stuart-type doesn't mean that's what he is.

He probably should be, and getting him to change his style would probably be easier than fixing his shooting issues. That's just not how he plays right now.

Acoording to the way he plays the game. Just because he isn't very good at it doesn't mean that's not what he is. (Well, two-way defenseman would be more accurate, but his play definitely leans more toward offense.) Likewise, just because he's big and we all want him to be a Stuart-type doesn't mean that's what he is.

He probably should be, and getting him to change his style would probably be easier than fixing his shooting issues. That's just not how he plays right now.

I don't follow.

He's got some pretty good passing skills, but no shot to speak of really. Doesn't pinch much. Plays more of a stay at home style. Gets zero time on the power play but is 3rd on the team in PK TOI. What about the way he plays the game makes him an offensive defenseman? The only thing that really fits is his first pass.

To me a guy like Lebda fits that description much more than Ericsson. Lebda had good speed, decent puckhandling and would jump into the play and rush the puck up ice, usually only to panic and turn it over. He was an offensive defenseman who wasn't very good at it, and had weak defensive skills.

He's got a decent pass and a hard slapshot. He's just horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE at using it. The average defensive defenseman can wind up a slapshot and have it hit somewhere near the net. Ericsson can't.

I agree his slapshot is awful. It's something he could and should be working on, but has had zero improvement. Other than now at least he seems to realize how long it takes to get his slapshot off, so he takes it less.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest Heaten

Whether anyone wants to acknoledge it or not, Ericsson has looked pretty damn solid. And he's getting his shot off quicker, and jumping up in the play with confidence. If not for good goaltending E would have a couple 3 goals already this season.

He doesn't really make use of his size, and he always looks like he's completely discombobulated.

I agree. It's like a boy going through puberty that grew 8 inches over the summer, and when he comes back to school he barely knows how to walk.

Ericsson doesn't use his size at all.

Although, I will give him credit, he's the only guy on the team willing to drop the gloves for his team.

Am I the only one who thinks E hasn't been that bad? Sure he still makes some boneheaded plays but it looks like he is playing a much safer game out there and not taking as many risks. He is also stepping up the physical game as i've seen him step up for some big hits and has had a couple good ones recently. All he needs to do now is not stand around with his dick in his hand in front of the net and clear the crease better.

I think he has been solid. Everytime I look at Wisneiwski, who everone wanted here, I an F$#$#@! happy that we signed E!

If anyone knows hockey and actually watches Ericsson they would notice that he never is in position. His awareness is terrible. People can be parked in front of the net and you would think he doesn't know they exist. The biggest problem is how much he is being paid to do what he does. He doesn't contribute anything offensively and is mediocre at best defensively. I wouldn't have a problem if he was getting paid in the 1-2 mil range, but he is getting paid too much money to not contribute offensively. I think when we get to the trade deadline we should consider packaging him instead of Kindl in a trade. Kindl is cheaper and has been much more solid.

Guest Crymson

Although, I will give him credit, he's the only guy on the team willing to drop the gloves for his team.

Abdelkader?

If anyone knows hockey and actually watches Ericsson they would notice that he never is in position. His awareness is terrible. People can be parked in front of the net and you would think he doesn't know they exist. The biggest problem is how much he is being paid to do what he does. He doesn't contribute anything offensively and is mediocre at best defensively. I wouldn't have a problem if he was getting paid in the 1-2 mil range, but he is getting paid too much money to not contribute offensively. I think when we get to the trade deadline we should consider packaging him instead of Kindl in a trade. Kindl is cheaper and has been much more solid.

They would also know, however, that a player's positioning, tactics, and ultimate playing style (as in what they do with the puck/their body, not necessarily the way they carry themselves), has an awful lot to do with doing what their coach tells them or risk getting benched for not listening. E has been pretty solid and has obviously warrented his place in the line-up according to the staff as he's not too big a 'star' to be sitting in the press box. If he was playing that bad, or was constantly out of position, he would be seeing less time. I think he's actually doing what he's told, rather than taking his initiative that may not as of yet have enough experience to be effective. Once he learns solid play by doing as he's told, it'll come more naturally. I'm ok with that.

I'm not one that likes to rag on Big Rig or anybody in general for that manner in a whipping boy status. I easily know what's bad with him by just looking in here, and like most whipping boys he's not as bad as advertised. He drives me crazy though pinching in the offensive zone, especially whenever the Wings have a comfortable sized lead taking unnecessary high risk plays.

He looked better last night. He scored a goal, which always helps, although I still have no confidence in his blue-line slap shot (something the Lidstrom, Stuart, White, and Kronwall all have).

He did take a penalty last night that Tampa converted on, but I was at the game so I couldn't tell if the penalty was BS or not.

He looked better last night. He scored a goal, which always helps, although I still have no confidence in his blue-line slap shot (something the Lidstrom, Stuart, White, and Kronwall all have).

He did take a penalty last night that Tampa converted on, but I was at the game so I couldn't tell if the penalty was BS or not.

Outside of the goal, I thought it was one of his worst games, and I'm not really an Ericsson basher. He was very poor in the defensive zone, weak along the boards, turned the puck over several times whereas usually he's at least adequate in these areas in the other games I've seen.

4pts vs. 11?

neither are terribly impressive.

Points aren't the only compatible stat I was referring to, but considering that White even missed 4 games and still almost triples Ericsson's output is impressive imho.

White is already on pace to crush personal career highs as well as currently leading the entire team in plus/minus. All this while logging 3rd most ice time and only 8 minutes in penalties.

These are all traits we are expecting Ericsson to adopt, yet sadly he simply continues to coast and rack up bad penalties.

I wonder how Ericsson feels when he looks at the stat sheet and sees the numbers that White has put up with his first season as a Wing.

If Ericsson looks at the score sheet and has even a notion that his role on this team is the same as White's then he's a fool. Babcock's been very clear with what he expects of E-- PK time, minute eating, being physical around the net and providing a big, strong presence on the back end. Offense is an afterthought with Ericsson. White's role is the same as Rafalski's was-- being a smart, point-producing guy who can provide a spark on the PP and make that crisp first pass that gets things going.

Painting Ericsson as playing the same role as White is like saying Stuart is failing for not producing numbers like Kronwall since he's been here in Detroit.

If Ericsson looks at the score sheet and has even a notion that his role on this team is the same as White's then he's a fool. Babcock's been very clear with what he expects of E-- PK time, minute eating, being physical around the net and providing a big, strong presence on the back end. Offense is an afterthought with Ericsson. White's role is the same as Rafalski's was-- being a smart, point-producing guy who can provide a spark on the PP and make that crisp first pass that gets things going.

Painting Ericsson as playing the same role as White is like saying Stuart is failing for not producing numbers like Kronwall since he's been here in Detroit.

I see what you're saying, but I don't recall these being attributes the Wings expected of him when they brought him though, especially since the guy has a great shot and was originally a forward.

I feel like they've had to adjust his role based upon his complete lack of development and the comparison of White and Ericsson was more to outline the fact that White has blossomed with the opportunity on the Wings whereas Ericsson has been stale and not shown many signs of earning that pay bump he signed for. And yes, I know there are a lot of circumstances that prompted that raise.

I see what you're saying, but I don't recall these being attributes the Wings expected of him when they brought him though, especially since the guy has a great shot and was originally a forward.

I feel like they've had to adjust his role based upon his complete lack of development and the comparison of White and Ericsson was more to outline the fact that White has blossomed with the opportunity on the Wings whereas Ericsson has been stale and not shown many signs of earning that pay bump he signed for. And yes, I know there are a lot of circumstances that prompted that raise.

Since when does Ericsson have a great shot? He set a crazy high mph mark in the AHL skills competition, but that's not the same as having a great shot.

I disagree that the Wings expected him to be like Rafalski or White and have had to adjust his role. There's a reason E was taken dead last overall. I don't think anyone in Wings management was expecting him to be a Rafalski. They've always talked about his size, strength, and first pass, which are by far the biggest assets he has to offer the Wings.

He's improved but still needs to utilize those assets better, and now that he's more comfortable he's shown he can jump into the play on occasion. But I find it hard to believe they expected him to run the PP or anything.

I don 't really understand the White comparison either. In his 6 year NHL career White has put up 20+ points several times in his career. It's not like he's suddenly leaped ahead in development here. For him it seems like it's mostly been about staying healthy. It's not surprising he's flourishing being on the Wings spending time with Lidstrom.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest Heaten

The penalty was BS. Ian White was the guy who should have been in the box... refs got it wrong.

Since when does Ericsson have a great shot? He set a crazy high mph mark in the AHL skills competition, but that's not the same as having a great shot.

I disagree that the Wings expected him to be like Rafalski or White and have had to adjust his role. There's a reason E was taken dead last overall. I don't think anyone in Wings management was expecting him to be a Rafalski. They've always talked about his size, strength, and first pass, which are by far the biggest assets he has to offer the Wings.

Some scouting reports on Ericsson had him as a top 4 defenseman who at one time, was thought to even be a partial replacement for Lidstrom.

He's improved but still needs to utilize those assets better, and now that he's more comfortable he's shown he can jump into the play on occasion. But I find it hard to believe they expected him to run the PP or anything.

Unless I'm missing something, I haven't seen an improvement that earns him a pass on these criticisms.

I don 't really understand the White comparison either. In his 6 year NHL career White has put up 20+ points several times in his career. It's not like he's suddenly leaped ahead in development here. For him it seems like it's mostly been about staying healthy. It's not surprising he's flourishing being on the Wings spending time with Lidstrom.

Again, the White comparison is to outline that one player (White) has seized a golden opportunity while another (Ericsson) has not. Yes White has put up 20+ points several times, but not at the pace he is on now and is on pace for a career high of about 30+. Both are the same age, yet White has bounced from team to team and still been able to maintain a good level of play consistently. So yes, he has jumped ahead from a developmental point since consistency is a hallmark of all high level players.

And the point about White playing with Lidstrom only serves to further highlight Ericsson's lack of progress. Ericsson has had 3+ years under Lidstrom and White has had 23 games. Who's made more of that at this point?

Moral of the story: Ericsson needs to get his s*** together and take on the bigger role that he is now paid to perform and not just be a big body with a good first pass for 3 million dollars.

Guest Crymson

Ericsson really needs to play with more confidence, whatever the case.

I'm glad he had a good game last night. I didn't watch the game, but it was good to see him hit the net on the highlights.