• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

Babcock: "Do we want to be a good team or not?"

Rate this topic

Zetterberg is becoming the Wings' Scott Gomez... frustrating.

Last night was a terrible effort all around, but it was the type of game that even last year the Wings' top players would have responded to with at least a valiant effort. This season it seems the opposite is true. If the team is getting bad breaks and making mistakes, the top guys are deserving of most of the blame. I mean no one picking up Jumbo on the shorty, and Pavel watching the puck as the goal is being scored, then on the Thornton goal, Jumbo out Zetterberg's Zetterberg, taking the puck off Hank's stick on the backcheck and turning it back the other way for the eventual goal, while Hank seems to pull up and watch in complete "aww shucks" mode.

The personnel haven't changed much, but this is a very different team then the one that saw back-to-back finals appearances. Zetterberg more than anyone is indicative of that. Hate to bring it up but... 10 more years... :/ Its not the production, its the effort and attitude; better get it figured out, Z.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Not sure Babcock can be blamed for any of our problems...The biggest change that this team has experienced over the last few years, and particularly over the last season is that our top 2 players are not “elite” anymore. I mean compare our top 6 to most other Western Conference teams and you’ll see that we aren’t that special skill wise comparatively. The one difference we’ve had over the years that made us such a great team is that our top 2 centers were game changing players that made the players around them MUCH better than they actually are. With Datsyuk and Zetterberg playing at merely human levels this season, their ability to dramatically boost the people around them is virtually gone. Now that the emperor has no clothes, Franzen, Cleary, Hudler, Filpulla, Bertuzzi etc., are revealed as merely role players with average skills in most areas of the ice. This leaves us with a top six that is very much inferior to what most other teams can put on the ice.

If you look at other teams secondary top six players, they have guys that can “do stuff” on their own. Couture is a fairly dynamic offensive player no matter what line he’s on. Same with Kesler. Look at Chicago, they have Hossa , Sharp, Toews and Kane, all four of which are solid offensive players far above mere role players who rely solely on those around them.

Given the long term nature of the contracts we have, I am at least somewhat concerned that if Datsyuk and Zetterberg don’t bounce back, we could be in for a few years worth of trouble. Getting a couple top tier offensive players that are dynamic in their own right is not an easy task, especially in a salary cap world.

That said, I’m not giving up on our top players yet, and even if this year turns out to be a down year, enough of the team has expiring contracts that heading into next year, Holland should have the ability to shake things up a fair bit.

Edited by greenrebellion

Our D does miss Rafalski like we all knew we would. White has fit in well, I've been happy with his play. Nick has been outstanding as usual but he can't do it all by himself. We need guys like Kronwall, Hudler, Ericsson, Fillpula, Helm, Abdelkader and Cleary to step up but they aren't. Even if Dats, Z and Mule start playing well again, if we don't have proper balance we're not going anywhere anyway.

Do you watch the games? Fil has been BY FAR one of our best forwards, and hardest working. Also check the stats page. 2nd in points, tied for first in +/- (I realize +/- is lame, but still makes a point). If you're going to make us read something that long, at least put correct information in it.

it is interesting point I would say... Either the team will magically find a way to work hard or someone will be traded and/or Babcock fired.

PS I want the next seasons start ASAP. Something tells me we'll continue to "find answers in the locker room"

it is interesting point I would say... Either the team will magically find a way to work hard or someone will be traded and/or Babcock fired.

PS I want the next seasons start ASAP. Something tells me we'll continue to "find answers in the locker room"

I think that the "find answers in the lockeroom" and "<player> coming back from injury is our deadline acquisition..." days are over. That is not working, and hasn't worked for a long time, if it ever did. The time now is for change. Who and where from? Your guess is as good as mine!

It's time for Holland to put up and show the NHL that he IS the best GM in the business...

Edited by LeftWinger

We've seen and heard this plenty.

Not that that's a bad thing, it's just basically they know what they have to do, many are seasoned professionals, doing it on a consistent basis is easier said than done.

Honestly, they don't really need to say anything.

They need to be desperate NOW though. I don't have much doubt they will eventually get a good winning streak going, they are more than capable, but with the parity of this league and 3-point games, every little point helps in the standings.

I think that the "find answers in the lockeroom" and "<player> coming back from injury is our deadline acquisition..." days are over. That is not working, and hasn't worked for a long time, if it ever did. The time now is for change. Who and where from? Your guess is as good as mine!

It's time for Holland to put up and show the NHL that he IS the best GM in the business...

There's nothing Holland can do right now. I don't know what people expect from him at this point. I said it in the GDT last night, but there aren't impact players available with so many competitive teams in the league. The teams will spread out more by March, but even then it's going to be tough to get major value without selling off a ton back. Also, what do the Red Wings really have to offer on their roster right now?

Trust me, I think the Red Wings need some new faces as much as anyone. That being said, I expect it to occur next summer. You have to feel bad for Lidstrom more than anything if this season continues to play out in a mediocre fashion.

Bench Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Cleary, and Stuart all for a game or two. Play Tatar, Nyquist, Joakim Anderson, and Smith suring that span. We'll get killed, but it'll at least send a message to those guys that they need to step the f*** up!