293 replies to this topic

#41 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Get Ready... :ninja:

Ah, Bettyman's erectile disfunction disorder is finally corrected..

#42 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

As this was going on, I found out that he wore a white helmet at practices as a visual aid to his teammates, minimizing the chance of getting hit hard.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#43 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

This is a HUGE story up here in Canada, and in fact the game tonight will be broadcast live coast-to-coast on CBC.

Anyways on a personal note I'd like to say it's great to see Crosby return to the great game of hockey, but he's still a tool and I still hate his guts.

#44 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Trevor Gillies, front and center!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#45 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

As this was going on, I found out that he wore a white helmet at practices as a visual aid to his teammates, minimizing the chance of getting hit hard.

That was before he was cleared for contact....he wore the same colour helmet as everyone else since being cleared....no contact limitations at all since then.

#46 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

I like Ovi too. Yeah, he can be cocky and sometimes have touchdown celebrations after goals, but he's just genuinely excited about the game. He's not a whiner. He's not a diver. He's a two-way player. He has no sense of entitlement.

I think this is where some may say "blind hate." Ovechkin's not a diver? I can find some video showing some more blantant dives than you'll ever find for Crosby. He's a two-way player? Is that a joke? His coach may be trying to push that, but he defense is nowhere near to the level of Crosby (not saying Crosby is a defensive master, but he's improviing for sure and is much more two-way than Ovechkin). He's a centre though, so tough to compare.

Not sure what the sense of aentitlement commen is about though, but I'm assuming it's just a fun throw in that can't really be backed up, but hey...why not.

It's funny, anyone that I talk to that spends any time at all around Crosby suggests he's one of the most humble professional athletes they have ever encountered. I guess it's funny the contrasting views some fans can take (I tend to rely on those that actually spend more time around him though).

#47 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Let's take a step back for a minute. Things might not be as they appear

http://penguins.nhl.com/

Clearly, they're welcoming back Sid (Your Show of Shows) Caesar from retirement. Hello, coach Calhoun!

can't wait for a new Eric Lindros game to start. The first was David Steckel. Who is next? I think Clarkson this season.

One of Ken Hitchcock's henchmen will make him bleed Wednesday. Chris Stewart, do your job.

#48 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

Not sure what the sense of aentitlement commen is about though, but I'm assuming it's just a fun throw in that can't really be backed up, but hey...why not.

What the video I posted. You'll see a spoiled, entitled, pampered, little brat of a child throwing a temper tantrum because he lost.

Have you ever scene Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Lidstrom go after a guy at the end of a game out of frustration? Never.

No one denies his talent, but he's not half the man of a Yzerman, Lidstrom, Gretzky, Messier, or any of the other great captains.

Edited by Holmstrom96, 21 November 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#49 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

What the video I posted. You'll see a spoiled, entitled, pampered, little brat of a child throwing a temper tantrum because he lost.

Have you ever scene Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Lidstrom go after a guy at the end of a game out of frustration? Never.

No one denies his talent, but he's not half the man of a Yzerman, Lidstrom, Gretzky, Messier, or any of the other great captains.

The video you posted is only a big deal because it's Crosby. So what, he was frustrated, yes he has a temper at times, so what, so do a ton of guys in the league. Plays like that happen all the time and yes, I have seen Yzerman act like that before and yes, I've seen Yzerman whine at least to the level of Crosby. In part, you will tend to see more of that from captains.

If you spend a few games and just follow Crosby around, watch the punishment he takes during the game...behind the play. There is no doubt that he snapped a bit there, but to suggest that is so strange when you compare to everyone else is odd. With Gretzky, no only did he not take anywhere near the punishment Crosby gets, he would have never reacted like that for 2 reasons...1) he probably doesn't have as much of a temper and 2) he had other people do it for him.

#50 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

I like Ovi too. Yeah, he can be cocky and sometimes have touchdown celebrations after goals, but he's just genuinely excited about the game. He's not a whiner. He's not a diver. He's a two-way player. He has no sense of entitlement.

I don't know much about Miller (since the Eastern conference only exists to us if we go to the finals). The only thing I do remember is that he accidentally hit a photographer with the puck through a camera-hole in the boards. He went over to make sure the guy was OK. After the game he gave the guy his goalie stick. So in my mind this Miller guy seems to be a class-act.

Crosby is definitely hard to like, but I think using AO as the standard is a bad example.

Ovi sure as hell isn't a two-way player, whereas Crosby actually is. And Ovechkin is also arrogant, dives, whines, is entitled, and plays over the line sometimes. I was a big AO fan the first couple seasons, but it's gone down several notches with each questionable thing he does.

Anyways on a personal note I'd like to say it's great to see Crosby return to the great game of hockey, but he's still a tool and I still hate his guts.

This.

#51 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Crosby is definitely hard to like, but I think using AO as the standard is a bad example.

Well, what was worse is somewhere in here were someone compared him to Lebron as an example of something Crosby is not (I agree with that, but the comparison was a slight to Crosby).

#52 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I think it was the first time that the NHL has had a live feed on its homepage, just to watch the Pens training session today (think I saw that right). League loves that dude too much.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#53 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

I think it was the first time that the NHL has had a live feed on its homepage, just to watch the Pens training session today (think I saw that right). League loves that dude too much.

No, they've had live feeds for game day skates quite a bit lately I think.

#54 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

I have no doubt that someone will take a run at him.

I dont know if that is true. Personally, I'd like to see him treated just as any player would be treated but I wouldn't want to see a run at him with an intent to injure.

This is a HUGE story up here in Canada, and in fact the game tonight will be broadcast live coast-to-coast on CBC.

I live in the Toronto area as well and the coverage this is getting is not really surprising but it is a little over the top.

I think this is where some may say "blind hate." Ovechkin's not a diver? I can find some video showing some more blantant dives than you'll ever find for Crosby. He's a two-way player? Is that a joke? His coach may be trying to push that, but he defense is nowhere near to the level of Crosby (not saying Crosby is a defensive master, but he's improviing for sure and is much more two-way than Ovechkin). He's a centre though, so tough to compare.

It's funny, anyone that I talk to that spends any time at all around Crosby suggests he's one of the most humble professional athletes they have ever encountered. I guess it's funny the contrasting views some fans can take (I tend to rely on those that actually spend more time around him though).

I think some people minsconstrue 'blind hate' for him as a hockey player and blind hate for him as a human. Im sure that there are people who hate him fully (both as a hockey player and a human) but I think most people tend to hate him as a hockey player and the personality that he shows on the ice. I think when people say he acts like he has a sense of entitlement they are commenting more on his actions on the ice or at least in the hockey world.

Personally I realyl dislike his attitude when he is whining, diving, and complaining. You may argue that he takes more abuse than anyone, and that may be true, but the problem is he dishing a ton of it back then turns to the refs to complain about it. For that reason I strongly dislike his on ice personality. That doesn't mean I hate him as a person. Although, to be honest I find him boring in real life but I dont hate him.

Also, I think Crosby gets singled out for his diving, whining etc more than players like Ovechkin (as was used in the thread) because it's that much more over the top. At least in my mind it is. Obviously there are the homers and some Wings fans hate him because of the 09 SC but most hockey fans dislike him because of how much worse he carries himself on the ice.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#55 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

There is no denying the NHL has a hard-on for Cindy.

Exhibit A: Apparantly Cindy is playing with herself tonight at 7ET on Versus. Top three stories, first two slides, and even more below the page fold. I rest my case.

Posted Image

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#56 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

No, they've had live feeds for game day skates quite a bit lately I think.

Are you sure you aren't Carmen in disguise :ph34r:

#57 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Can't wait to see the best hockey player in the world back on the ice. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

#58 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Can't wait to see the best offensive hockey player in the world back on the ice. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

I fixed that for you. I'm no crosby hater but he's not the best hockey player in the world.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#59 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

Are you sure you aren't Carmen in disguise :ph34r:

Nah, Carmen can tend to be blind in the "other" direction.

Edited by toby91_ca, 21 November 2011 - 02:35 PM.

#60 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

Islanders better keep those elbows down. I'm sure the officials will be looking for any kind of head shot all game long.