• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mmamolo

A Lot to Consider for Zach Parise

Rate this topic

I'd be disappointed if Holland did not at least attempt to make a splash at the trade deadline - it could be the last playoff run with Lidstrom.

I agree - even if it's just a rental - for a couple of reasons:

1. As you noted, it could be Lidstrom's last year

2. Showing Nick you're still committed to providing the Wings with a good chance at the cup (assuming they lost) could entice him to stay yet again

3. It would add a new dimension to this team

Parise has so far not been as good as he was pre-injury. It's important to bear in mind that serious knee injuries can have long-term ramifications on players` performance. Parise might never return to previous form.

This is a good point. Fischer comes to mind. He never skated quite as well in the brief amount of time he was back after the Hartnell incident. Yzerman and Hatcher are also cases of skating ability not ever returning to what it once was after knee surgery. Yzerman compensated and learned how to play the game differently, but SILK used to be a pretty slick skater before he hurt his knee.

Assuming the deadline is when Parise would be traded (because Jersey would potentially willing to trade him then as they are not willing to trade him now) you wouldn't be giving up 'the future'. Parise value at the deadline as a pending ufa wouldn't necessarily be as high as it would today as the Devils have a shot at the playoffs. Deadlines can be weird though. Some deadlines teams overpay significantly for players and other times not so much. I think back to the Hossa (to Pitt) and Kovalchuk deals as ones where the prices were reasonable.

But I do agree, if the price was way too high then I'd prefer Holland refrain even though that means a ton of posters on this board will start the 'Holland let another one go' type threads

That's a valid point. But I do think that Jersey isn't nearly the same team as they were then either. Offensively it seems like they have more (on paper) today but not having Zajac in the line up burns (for them)

Crappy-Average players last season were getting at least one first round and/or a high tier prospect. An outlier here or there doesn't change anything. The price for Hossa was medium to high at the time because the players given up were thought of at the time to be can't miss prospects and it looked like two top six forwards were going to be given up in the deal. And Kovi was dealt with his deal because of who the GM was dealing him to. It would cost the farm for a potential rental player when we could just get him as an UFA potentially.

With Parises age and ability I cant believe people wouldnt want to go for him at the deadline. This team would be a very, very serious contender if they got him.

Yeah deals like Kovalchuk and Hossa seemed high at the time but thats the point. WHen you trade prospect theres never a sure thing.

Tatar, Kindl and a first rounder would probably be close to what it takes to make that deal.

Theres a chance Tatar becomes a producer, but they still arent that high.

Most of the wings prospects wont come to the NHL until around 23. At that age Parise had 2 30 goal seasons, and on the verge of almost hitting 50. Hes one season removed from 40 goals and 80 points and still has probably 8 HIGHLY productive years left in him.

Not all these prospects are going to pan out, should trade some while they have value for a proven commodity, than just hope that they arent the one that pans out

With Parises age and ability I cant believe people wouldnt want to go for him at the deadline. This team would be a very, very serious contender if they got him.

Yeah deals like Kovalchuk and Hossa seemed high at the time but thats the point. WHen you trade prospect theres never a sure thing.

Tatar, Kindl and a first rounder would probably be close to what it takes to make that deal.

Most of the wings prospects wont come to the NHL until around 23. At that age Parise had 2 30 goal seasons, and on the verge of almost hitting 50. Hes one season removed from 40 goals and 80 points and still has probably 8 HIGHLY productive years left in him.

Not all these prospects are going to pan out, should trade some while they have value for a proven commodity, than just hope that they arent the one that pans out

That's a good start, but it would probably take Mursak as well. If all it took was Kindl, Tatar and a first for him, I'd be on board, but that is probably the deal holland would have to through out there just to not get laughed at.

I know this may sound crazy but I think Kindl is the one in that deal Id have a hard time dealing right now. We have a bunch of good, young forwards but outside of Smith and Kindl, the blueline is thin. Kindl has really impressed me this year and could theoretically end up being a #3-#4 guy in this league. Kronwall, Smith, and Kindl provide a pretty decent defensive foundation for the post-Nick era.

Crappy-Average players last season were getting at least one first round and/or a high tier prospect. An outlier here or there doesn't change anything. The price for Hossa was medium to high at the time because the players given up were thought of at the time to be can't miss prospects and it looked like two top six forwards were going to be given up in the deal. And Kovi was dealt with his deal because of who the GM was dealing him to. It would cost the farm for a potential rental player when we could just get him as an UFA potentially.

1. If you think Christensen and Armstrong looked like two top-6 forwards then that's fine, but I didn't think that at the time. I would have maybe thought, at most, one of them could become a top-6.

2. Saying the price for Hossa was cheap because Waddell dealt him specifically to Lou is a cop out. GMs don't just give players to their buddies.

3. If you personally don't want to acknowledge the validity of trade values that go against your point/argument that's fine. You can treat them like a statistical aberation. But market prices for players is dictated by supply/demand, signing potential of the rental, cap space etc. Don't pretend that Waddell dealt with Jersey and no one else what so ever because him and Lou are friends.

I see the Parise situation playing out like the Hossa one. We try to get him at the trade deadline but the price is too high, so we make a big push for him in the off-season and pick him up via free agency. That has risks, though. What if Parise likes the team he's traded to? At any rate, Parise is probably the biggest name on the market next year so it's going to be tough to get him.

The problem with Parise (and Suter for that matter) is that there are at least 6 GMs out there that will overpay for them. I can't see Holland doing anything silly. He may leave his comfort zone to land Suter but not Parise.

As much as I think Suter is a great player I don't think he fits into or on this team tbh. Reminds me of a weaker version of Rafalski which isn't a bad thing but I think Parise would fit on better with us. Yes too completely different players but stil...

I get to watch Parise quite a bit. I'm normally pretty cynical about so-called big deal trades with big names and the rumors that surround them but I'd pay a little more to get Parise into the Winged Wheel. He has a phenomenal work ethic, the's a playmaker and scores big goals. Adding him to play with with Datsyuk or Zetterberg would be an even more hellish matchup for opposing coaches. He's speedy and smart and has become a pretty serviceable penalty killer.

He's all that and a bag of chips

Edited by Jersey Wing

Guest Crymson

Devils fans are talking about how Parise isn't the same player he was before the injury.