• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mmamolo

A Lot to Consider for Zach Parise

Rate this topic

Free Agent Zach Parise

When you’re here for seven years and have never been past the second round, you realize it’s going by quick,” he said. “You see how hard it is. There are 29 teams every year that are disappointed, so it’s not easy. You’ve got to get lucky, you have to have a great team and you have to have a healthy team and avoid injuries at key times. A lot of things have to fall into place

For everyone who is dreaming of Parise the article is a good read

It all depends where the Devils are come the trade deadline. If they are in the hunt or close to making the playoffs I don't see them trading Parise. And that's fine with me let him test the free agency market come July 1st. Would rather try and get him that way than losing whoever it would cost us, probably 2 roster players and a 1st rounder would be my guess. Although we could definitely use him and our top 6 forwards would be killer but we are going to have to wait it out booooooooooooooooo :(

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

yeah, realistically I dont see the Wings trading for Parise. It was interesting, though, to hear some of the comments Parise made in the article. It sounds like he'd be willing to sign with some one other than Jersey. Detroit isn't necessarily his choice, by any stretch, but it just implies there's a possibility.

It all depends where the Devils are come the trade deadline. If they are in the hunt or close to making the playoffs I don't see them trading Parise. And that's fine with me let him test the free agency market come July 1st. Would rather try and get him that way than losing whoever it would cost us, probably 2 roster players and a 1st rounder would be my guess. Although we could definitely use him and our top 6 forwards would be killer but we are going to have to wait it out booooooooooooooooo :(

If the Devils do trade him, the Kovalchuk deal would probably be the template. Although I think Lou Lam knows he hosed the Thrashers.

That was:

Nic Bergfors

Patrice Cormier

1st + 2nd round picks

So:

Nyquist, Jarnkrok, or Tatar

Abdelkader or Ericsson

1st + 2nd

If we could get away with that, I'd be thrilled.

Edited by achildr1

I don't understand why people want to trade for someone we can easily sign as a UFA this summer, and who we have a huge change of signing.

It wouldn't hurt to get him already this year. Some other teams might pull the trigger on the deadline already if we won't.

I tho k the other reason. Is when you go to sign Parise. It's easier to get a friendly cap number or the next 5-7 years when ur the only team signing him. Compared to a biddig war on the open market. Remember this past UFA where leino is worth 4 and Wiz 5+

Normally I would agree that I'd prefer rolling the dice on signing a player in free agency. But I think if you read what Parise has said, in that article, the Wings could provide him with each of the key components of a team he wants. He doesn't sound like he's chasing money (necessarily) so I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him to make the Wings better this season and ideally signing him beyond this year. I think that although players like Parise are looking for a lot of other forms of compensation, aside from money, if he hits the open market his price tag goes up.

It wouldn't hurt to get him already this year. Some other teams might pull the trigger on the deadline already if we won't.

Just because he gets traded doesn't mean he won't hit UFA.

I tho k the other reason. Is when you go to sign Parise. It's easier to get a friendly cap number or the next 5-7 years when ur the only team signing him. Compared to a biddig war on the open market. Remember this past UFA where leino is worth 4 and Wiz 5+

Fair point. I just don't think giving up Nyquist, Tatar or even Ericsson is worth it for a rental period.

I don't understand why people want to trade for someone we can easily sign as a UFA this summer, and who we have a huge change of signing.

Well, the idea is that you not only get his services for a cup run, you also get "exclusive" negotiating rights....which you cannot underestimate. Teams trade for players after the season that will become UFA's only 2 weeks later just to get that exclusive negotiating power.

Why do you say the Wings have a huge chance of signnig him in the off-season anyway?

It would not be wise for the Wings to trade the future of the team for one player and that is why Holland won't trade for him when we can sign him come free agency. It's great to have dreams, but this is one that will NOT come true, at last at the dead line.

Guest Crymson

Parise has so far not been as good as he was pre-injury. It's important to bear in mind that serious knee injuries can have long-term ramifications on players` performance. Parise might never return to previous form.

Edited by Crymson

Well, the idea is that you not only get his services for a cup run, you also get "exclusive" negotiating rights....which you cannot underestimate. Teams trade for players after the season that will become UFA's only 2 weeks later just to get that exclusive negotiating power.

Why do you say the Wings have a huge chance of signnig him in the off-season anyway?

I'm all in favor of trading for his rights after the season, but not giving up players who could have huge careers when you will be able to sign him anyway. And we have a lot of cap space and are cup contenders, so we're the perfect spot for him and, if they really want to play together, Suter. Cause you know what they say, great things happen all at once. :D

It would not be wise for the Wings to trade the future of the team for one player and that is why Holland won't trade for him when we can sign him come free agency. It's great to have dreams, but this is one that will NOT come true, at last at the dead line.

^

Assuming the deadline is when Parise would be traded (because Jersey would potentially willing to trade him then as they are not willing to trade him now) you wouldn't be giving up 'the future'. Parise value at the deadline as a pending ufa wouldn't necessarily be as high as it would today as the Devils have a shot at the playoffs. Deadlines can be weird though. Some deadlines teams overpay significantly for players and other times not so much. I think back to the Hossa (to Pitt) and Kovalchuk deals as ones where the prices were reasonable.

But I do agree, if the price was way too high then I'd prefer Holland refrain even though that means a ton of posters on this board will start the 'Holland let another one go' type threads

Parise has so far not been as good as he was pre-injury. It's important to bear in mind that serious knee injuries can have long-term ramifications on players` performance. Parise might never return to previous form.

That's a valid point. But I do think that Jersey isn't nearly the same team as they were then either. Offensively it seems like they have more (on paper) today but not having Zajac in the line up burns (for them)

Guest Crymson

Assuming the deadline is when Parise would be traded (because Jersey would potentially willing to trade him then as they are not willing to trade him now) you wouldn't be giving up 'the future'. Parise value at the deadline as a pending ufa wouldn't necessarily be as high as it would today as the Devils have a shot at the playoffs. Deadlines can be weird though. Some deadlines teams overpay significantly for players and other times not so much. I think back to the Hossa (to Pitt) and Kovalchuk deals as ones where the prices were reasonable.

The price paid for Hossa was considered high at the time. In the event, Christensen, Armstrong and Esposito have not turned out to be anything special, and, as such, it can be said in hindsight that it was a decent deal. Kovalchuk came at a low price because Waddell wanted to trade with a familiar partner and allowed himself to be robbed in the process--utterly so.

The price paid for Hossa was considered high at the time. In the event, Christensen, Armstrong and Esposito have not turned out to be anything special, and, as such, it can be said in hindsight that it was a decent deal. Kovalchuk came at a low price because Waddell wanted to trade with a familiar partner and allowed himself to be robbed in the process--utterly so.

I'll say that some considered the price high for Hossa because of Esposito. Christensen was a solid younger who was getting 3rd line minutes. Armstrong had had a good rookie season but had been consistenly regressing (points wise). The total trade was:

to ATL

Angelo Esposito

Colby Armstrong

Erik Christensen

1st Rd

to PITT

Marian Hossa

Pascal Dupuis

I personally was surprised, at the time, Hossa was moved for that price especially considering Dupuis was a one time 20 goal scorer and still a serviceable 3rd line player (although older tahn Armstrong or Christensen).

Kovalchuk came at a low price because Waddell wanted to trade with a familiar partner and allowed himself to be robbed in the process--utterly so.

That's the bigest cop out of argument. No offense, but you can do better than that. That trade was what the market would bare at the time. Or at least the best offer Waddell felt he could get. Excusing it as a relative comparison for your quoted reason is ridiculous.

Guest Crymson

That's the bigest cop out of argument. No offense, but you can do better than that. That trade was what the market would bare at the time. Or at least the best offer Waddell felt he could get. Excusing it as a relative comparison for your quoted reason is ridiculous.

Waddell said that chose to trade with NJ because of his good working relationship with Lou Lamiorello.

I think the only clear explanation for the Kovalchuk fleecing is that Don Waddell was an awful GM.

He certainly was a horrible GM.

I think the only clear explanation for the Kovalchuk fleecing is that Don Waddell was an awful GM.

True, he was/would be an awful GM. But I think the trade had a lot to do with money as well as return. Here's a quote from NHL.com:

The Atlanta Thrashers dealt their captain, an impending free agent, to the Devils on Thursday night for a package that includes defenseman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors, junior prospect Patrice Cormier and New Jersey's first-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Defenseman Anssi Salmela, traded by the Devils to the Thrashers last March for Niclas Havelid, will return to New Jersey as part of the deal. The teams will also flip second-round picks.

Obviously GMs are looking for certain pieces in return when trading anyone. But I think the scope of a trade is even further limited by a team's finances. Teams with internal salary caps are probably looking for serviceable players, picks, and green prospects to minimize costs.

Jersey isn't in the greatest financial situation (apparently) so I think it's tough to say what they would want if we were at the deadline with them out of the playoff picture.

Waddell said that chose to trade with NJ because of his good working relationship with Lou Lamiorello.

Even if that is true (I don't remember hearing that but I'll take your word for it) that doesn't mean just because he knew Lamiorello he'd give Kovalchuk away. It also doesn't mean that Waddell got better offers from other teams but turned them down so he could work with Lou. All it implies is that he felt that he could work well with Lou to get a fair deal for his team.

Why wait to make the team better over the offseason when we can do it this season?

you mean: why get royally milked before trade deadline for an UFA, rather than just sign him in the offseason?

I don't recall a single cheap dead-line acquisition since the lockout. every single of the top-5 available players each

year had cost a whopping price, calculated in prospects and 1st rounds. unlike a couple of years ago Wings look

pretty decent with prospects right now, but I don't really see them going for such bold names. We could probably

move some prospects and a 2nd rounder before trade deadline, but that's not going to land us Parise.