• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Namingway

Ian White expected to return on Wednesday

Rate this topic

Ian White is expected to return to the Red Wings lineup on Wednesday after missing the last four games due to a fractured cheekbone.

So the question is should the Wings keep Smith around to fight for a spot by sending Commodore/Brunnstrom down to GR or have him get more minutes with the Griffins?

I personally hope they keep him around, I really agree with a lot of you guys about it being better off having him play with Lidstrom (especially for what could be his last year) and Kronwall. At this point I think he can benefit a lot more by playing with top level players even if it means less time compared to getting top line minutes in the AHL.

As for Ian White being back, it'll be a huge boost to have a defense minded defenseman back in the lineup. I'd say the odd one out is either Kindl or Ericsson, although I don't see Ericsson being out of the lineup anytime soon. What do you guys think?

I think Smith goes back simply on waivers issues. It's been great having him up and would not be surprised to see him in the playoffs, especially if he gets another chance at some point this season to log some more games (please, no injuries to our top 4).

If they want to keep Smith up they can send Brunnström to GR without putting him on waivers. If the case of Smith staying up I don't think it will be more than one or two more games as there's not much point in having eight defencemen and sitting Kindl and Commodore. Unless Smith plays like hell and wins a spot in top four even with White playing.

Edited by P. Marlowe

That article still makes it sound uncertain, but there's a chance.

I hope he can stay in the lineup. He's certainly played well enough to deserve the chance.

Maybe this helps clear up a spot:

The Red Wings have reassigned Fabian Brunnstrom to @griffinshockey of the American Hockey League.

Via Red Wings Twitter.

Smith was skating with Commodore, Ericsson with Kronwall, and Kindl with Stuart. So it's hard to say who's going to be in.

If Smith is in, Babs might be shuffling the PP units considerably as Smith has looked pretty good there. But Kindl/Stuart and Kronwall/Ericsson suggest that Smith will be out for the next game. It feels like we're probably looking at two rotations from here on out unless something changes; Kindl/Smith, and Ericsson/Commodore.

The kid showed he had more upside than E or Kindl (and I like Kindl). He just played so well, and what's more he looked much more confidence than Kindl has, as good as Kindl has played.

Smith, in my mind, is starting at basically where Kindl is operating at right now. At this point it's best to leave him up with the big squad, small minutes or not. Let him get used to the NHL level.

Ideally we could run:

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Smith

Stuart-Kindl

Send Commodore down to the AHL, and Ericsson can be a scratch.

The kid showed he had more upside than E or Kindl (and I like Kindl). He just played so well, and what's more he looked much more confidence than Kindl has, as good as Kindl has played.

Smith, in my mind, is starting at basically where Kindl is operating at right now. At this point it's best to leave him up with the big squad, small minutes or not. Let him get used to the NHL level.

Ideally we could run:

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Smith

Stuart-Kindl

Send Commodore down to the AHL, and Ericsson can be a scratch.

sorry but ericsson will never be scratched. kindl and commie are the odd ones out. smith wouldn't be here if he was going to be in the press box, they would have sent him down if thats the case. kid is going to play!!!!!!! :)

good to see white and his right handed shot back.

I really like Ian White on our defensive unit, even if he did play the villain in "Transporter". :ph34r:

What was that character's name, "Wall Street"?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=n85iT8jAapk

I'm pretty sure he also played Keith Stone in the Keystone Light commercials...dude has quite the acting resume!

So glad he's back...I thought it would take longer than that to heal (shows what I know), so that's a nice surprise. I like the plan of sending Brunnstrom down and keeping Smith and Commodore up. I definitely want Smith to play more, and while I'm not that stuck on Commie, there's no sense losing anybody to waivers when we don't have to. I wish we could just sit Ericsson, but I know it won't happen.

Will he be sporting the visor?

MLive

White practiced today and will wear a full face shield, after blocking a shot with his face against Dallas on Nov. 12.

(...)

White is one of the few players on the team who doesn't wear a visor. Asked if he'll wear one permanently now, he said, “I'll have to think about it. I'll wear it for at least the rest of the season. Who knows if it would have even stopped the puck.''

judging after the way Wings handled their prospects in last 10 years I'd say: Smith is back in AHL and gets called up 1-2 more times this season.

Next season he becomes 6th/7th D-men and in 2013-14 fills the 5th or 6th spot, thus becomes our regular D-man.

that all based on the assumption that he (at least) keeps his pace in development.