• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

I seriously can't stop my laughter from Hudler being called gritty and dynamic.

I'm going to make a thread tomorrow to praise Holmstrom for his speed and passing.

Holmstrom's passing has never been a problem. He's actually quite good at making passes into the slot from low in the offensive zone.

Edited by Crymson, 23 November 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#62 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Holmstrom's passing has never been a problem. He's actually quite good at making passes into the slot from low in the offensive zone.

In the slot, I agree. Anywhere else on the ice, he's very poor. Ever see Holmstrom with the puck in the neutral zone? There's a reason for that.

It was more of a joke, anyways.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#63 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

In the slot, I agree. Anywhere else on the ice, he's very poor. Ever see Holmstrom with the puck in the neutral zone? There's a reason for that.

It was more of a joke, anyways.

I'd call him more average than poor. And he doesn't try to make passes that are above his ability level.

#64 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hudler so far has 11 goals and 14 assists in 38 games. Not bad at all.

Edited by Nightfall, 04 January 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#65 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Good for huds, and that line as a whole really, they look real good. If we can some some how get every line firing on the right cylinders at the same time we will be in fantasticle shape.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#66 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

I guess if Hudler isn't sucking, then no one wants to talk about it. Ah well.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#67 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'm glad he has picked things up and in turn upped his trade value. I hope he is used in a trade before Invisible Jiri Hudler takes to the ice in the play offs again.

#68 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

I'm glad he has picked things up and in turn upped his trade value. I hope he is used in a trade before Invisible Jiri Hudler takes to the ice in the play offs again.

31 points in 61 playoff games is pretty good for a 2nd/3rd line player.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#69 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

It would be hard for anyone here to ***** too much about Hudler's point production. I think the reason most people have for wanting to move him, either off the second line or to another team, is that the guy cannot play reliable defense against high end opposition forwards. The games against Pittsburgh and Chicago were good examples of this. Any elite team, which can roll out six high end forwards is going to be problematic for Detroit, especially when we're on the road, because we won't get the matchups that we want and they can exploit the fact that Hudler is a little slow and a little...um...little. I personally don't like the idea of having that guy on the ice and expecting him to consistently defend the likes of San Jose, Vancouver, or Chicago's top lines. Hockey is played at both ends of the ice, and regardless of his point production, Hudler is (through no fault of his own) unable to defend against high end talent. I'd like to see a top six winger brought in, and Hudler moved off the second line, or off the team permanently.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#70 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Detroit Free Press

"I think Huds in particular has really come on," Babcock said. "It took him a month and a half, two months to really get going again, but he really seems to have confidence. He's working so much harder. I thought he was excellent in the defensive zone tonight and made lots of good plays and was real good, obviously, offensively."

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#71 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

I've been very happy lately with how Hudler has been playing. I want him to keep this up. I've always liked him, just wanted the production that we expect.

Posted Image

#72 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

He's a pending UFA - sellers at the trade deadline do not want rentals. I'm sure a playoff team would give prospects and picks for him, but I'm hoping Holland is not Leaning in that direction. :)

Hudler's looking like he did before he left for the KHL, maybe a little better. He really has a nice, accurate shot and just needs to keep heading towards the net - I'm fine with Zetterberg and Filppula doing more of the heavy lifting on that line, as long as Hudler keeps finding open spaces.

Edited by egroen, 05 January 2012 - 10:13 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#73 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

Now the question becomes, if he keeps playing like this and comes in around 55-60 points for the season...should we re-sign him and how much is $ is a reasonable contract?

#74 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Jiri has his skills and its good to see he is finding his groove again but my thinking is that we have too many pass first players and maybe if his trade value is great enough he can be used to get us either a sniper and or player that isn't afraid to be physical... we need both imo.

#75 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Now the question becomes, if he keeps playing like this and comes in around 55-60 points for the season...should we re-sign him and how much is $ is a reasonable contract?

No, we should NOT re-sign him. Either trade him or let him explore his UFA options. He no doubt will want way too much than he deserves, or what I want to see Holland pay.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#76 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

Beat me to it. I'm sure management will be considering it. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the Winged Wheel next year. I'm not moved either way but there's bound to be a few guys here would hate that, but if he's going to put up numbers like that a reasonably priced contract would not be out of the question.

#77 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

Wanted to give this thread a bump. And this ^^^^^^^

My thoughts exactly. His value definitely has risen...

Beat me to it. I'm sure management will be considering it. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the Winged Wheel next year. I'm not moved either way but there's bound to be a few guys here would hate that, but if he's going to put up numbers like that a reasonably priced contract would not be out of the question.

Sorry missed your post. I for one was a hater on Huds last year cause well he was invisible on the ice last season. This season he's a bit more noticable and the points NOW are coming. So good, about time. So yes now I'm a bit indifferent about him.

#78 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hudler now 2nd on the team in goals.

I know that makes the Hudler haters unhappy, but I thought I would point it out.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#79 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

Just on a tear lately. Some may say the trade value hasn't been higher and you could be right but it's good to see him getting it done nevertheless.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#80 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'm indifferent on the guy. I don't hate him like some in here, but it probably wouldn't kill me if he wasn't around anymore.

No denying he's currently on a hot streak right now.

Only thing I really have against him is he needs to shoot more.