• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Wings reassign Brendan Smith to Grand Rapids, recall Brunnstrom

Rate this topic

Smith

I understand Smith, we've got 8 defenceman if you include him. I don't like it though, seems like we're delaying the inevitable by sending him down, would rather waive Commodore. But why recall Bonestorm??? There is no point. We're already carrying one extra forward in Eaves, why need 2?

My bet: This means Mursak is doing well. So the team wants to get Brunnstrom into some games and give him a real chance to prove himself now before it's go time for Mursak. That way, we know if we simply waive Brunnstrom and don't worry about it if he's picked up, or waive someone else (Eaves, Miller) because someone will have to be waived - unless Brunner is still under the 30-day limit when Mursak comes back.

Why does everyone want to waive Commodore? I don't get it. Seems like we need some physicality since we are being pushed around in every game and Smith is not the person to provide that. Commodore may be.

Commodore hasn't played enough to warrant this kind of attitude. Smith has had a shot to impress, and he hasn't. He'll get more shots but right now Commodore is healthy and should be given a chance to contribute. The same goes for Mursak.

My bet: This means Mursak is doing well. So the team wants to get Brunnstrom into some games and give him a real chance to prove himself now before it's go time for Mursak. That way, we know if we simply waive Brunnstrom and don't worry about it if he's picked up, or waive someone else (Eaves, Miller) because someone will have to be waived - unless Brunner is still under the 30-day limit when Mursak comes back.

Yep, Mursak is a few weeks away from returning to GR for his coniditioning stint. :)

This is the way the Wings have worked for years. Have as much depth as possible, so when injuries happen, they have options. Goes back to 2007, when three defensemen got injured in the playoffs. Between Smith and Commodore, Smith has options to the minors, so he is the one sent down.

Why does everyone want to waive Commodore? I don't get it. Seems like we need some physicality since we are being pushed around in every game and Smith is not the person to provide that. Commodore may be.

Commodore hasn't played enough to warrant this kind of attitude. Smith has had a shot to impress, and he hasn't. He'll get more shots but right now Commodore is healthy and should be given a chance to contribute. The same goes for Mursak.

Ummmm, according to who? You? The general consensus, actually, is that he's NHL ready. Like I said in a previous thread, they sent Smith down because they could; beacuse it was easy - no waivers, no grief, no players lost, depth retained.

I think Smith should have stayed. But I'm not for waiving Commodore. So......

What a weird 24 hours or so. First they couldn't figure out who was injured, then they send Brunner down and keep Smith, now they send down Smith and call up Brunner? What the hell is going on?

Think it probably does have a lot to do with waivers. Isn't there a 30 day limit on when you can move players freely? Maybe one of them was coming up on 30 days on a roster and so had to be moved. But don't really quote me, not too sure how it goes. Might just be the safe thing to do switching them back and forth, rather than keeping one in a roster and having to waive them to move them. Again, though, not entirely sure of the rules.

If Holland has any weaknesses, it seems to be with handling and development of defensemen.

gotta disagree with this one. Holland is very patient with the development of prospects.

it might be too patient sometimes, but if you look at the case of Kronwall, Howard or Abdelkader - there is logic in what Kenny does.

I'd love to hear how he hasn't. I guess getting an assist in his first two career games isn't impressive while looking damn good on the powerplay as well. Commie has been largely unimpressive in his games that he has played. I haven't noticed him do anything that would warrant another shot in the line-up any time soon with his lackluster play. If there is an open spot in the line-up to White, Lidas, or Kronwall, Smith should play. Any injuries to the other 3, maybe play Commie for at least one game. i don't hate Commie, I think the signing was a good idea, but after watching Smith play this season, Smith is clearly the better player.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_allow_expectant_fath.html

URL should answer the uncertainty of this move.

Primarily done so Brunnstrom can witness the birth of his first child. He's back/going back to the Griffins pretty much right after.

So, guessing obviously that his wife is in a hospital in metro Detroit as opposed to the Grand Rapids area.

Congrats to the Brunnstroms. :thumbup:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_allow_expectant_fath.html

URL should answer the uncertainty of this move.

Primarily done so Brunnstrom can witness the birth of his first child. He's back/going back to the Griffins pretty much right after.

So, guessing obviously that his wife is in a hospital in metro Detroit as opposed to the Grand Rapids area.

Congrats to the Brunnstroms. :thumbup:

And a big "thank you" to Kenny and Co. for continuing the tradition of treating the players as people.

gotta disagree with this one. Holland is very patient with the development of prospects.

it might be too patient sometimes, but if you look at the case of Kronwall, Howard or Abdelkader - there is logic in what Kenny does.

Well, I specifically said defensemen. Not forwards or goalies. And I think he is a little too patient sometimes.

I'm certainly not saying he's awful at it, but their track record with defensive prospects isn't as strong as with other players. There's the whole Quincey debacle. Their fascination with Meech. Keeping Lebda around longer than they should've. Kindl is our highest defensive draft pick but it remains to be seen if he can work his way up from the bottom pairing. (He hasn't even played a full season in the NHL so he certainly still has time). Overhyping/overpaying of Ericsson. Smith has looked great for a rookie but they're likely going to have him play another season against inferior competition in the AHL. At the AHL level he'll play more minutes but it won't teach him how to adjust his offensive and defensive game for the speed of NHL.

I know prospects are always a crapshoot. The Wings do a tremendous job in general. I just don't think they've done as well with their defenseman.

In particular with Lidstrom potentially retiring at the end of the season, having a promising prospect like Smith play alongside him as much as possible seems worth the rookie mistakes.

Well, I specifically said defensemen. Not forwards or goalies. And I think he is a little too patient sometimes.

yep, I gotta agree about defensemen. it's probably the comfort of having Lidstrom and another top-tier D-man (Murphy, Chelios, Schneider, Rafalski, Stuart)

on the roster, but I agree Holland could sometimes be less patient. it did pan out with Kronwall, though...

and we sure as hell are spoiled with thinking that D-men have to be decent, watching Lidstrom doing all the right things... guys who we think are bad

(Meech, Quincey or Lebda) become decent players on other teams ;)

In particular with Lidstrom potentially retiring at the end of the season, having a promising prospect like Smith play alongside him as much as possible seems worth the rookie mistakes.

I want Kindl as regular. haven't seen Smith a lot this year (tough to do so with most games at 1.00 AM) but I can only be all smiles if he makes

better impression than Kindl...