• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

gotta disagree with this one. Holland is very patient with the development of prospects.
it might be too patient sometimes, but if you look at the case of Kronwall, Howard or Abdelkader - there is logic in what Kenny does.

Well, I specifically said defensemen. Not forwards or goalies. And I think he is a little too patient sometimes.

I'm certainly not saying he's awful at it, but their track record with defensive prospects isn't as strong as with other players. There's the whole Quincey debacle. Their fascination with Meech. Keeping Lebda around longer than they should've. Kindl is our highest defensive draft pick but it remains to be seen if he can work his way up from the bottom pairing. (He hasn't even played a full season in the NHL so he certainly still has time). Overhyping/overpaying of Ericsson. Smith has looked great for a rookie but they're likely going to have him play another season against inferior competition in the AHL. At the AHL level he'll play more minutes but it won't teach him how to adjust his offensive and defensive game for the speed of NHL.

I know prospects are always a crapshoot. The Wings do a tremendous job in general. I just don't think they've done as well with their defenseman.

In particular with Lidstrom potentially retiring at the end of the season, having a promising prospect like Smith play alongside him as much as possible seems worth the rookie mistakes.

#22 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

Well, I specifically said defensemen. Not forwards or goalies. And I think he is a little too patient sometimes.

yep, I gotta agree about defensemen. it's probably the comfort of having Lidstrom and another top-tier D-man (Murphy, Chelios, Schneider, Rafalski, Stuart)
on the roster, but I agree Holland could sometimes be less patient. it did pan out with Kronwall, though...

and we sure as hell are spoiled with thinking that D-men have to be decent, watching Lidstrom doing all the right things... guys who we think are bad
(Meech, Quincey or Lebda) become decent players on other teams ;)

In particular with Lidstrom potentially retiring at the end of the season, having a promising prospect like Smith play alongside him as much as possible seems worth the rookie mistakes.

I want Kindl as regular. haven't seen Smith a lot this year (tough to do so with most games at 1.00 AM) but I can only be all smiles if he makes
better impression than Kindl...