• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

11/25 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Bruins 2 (SO)

Rate this topic

Only one of his hands works at full speed.

I laughed at a guest because I read this. You win the awesome award.

Howard won this game for us.

We gave up over 40 shots and our soft Euros got handled by Boston's forwards all game long. We can't beat a team like them or San Jose over a 7 game series because of our lack of physicality and ability to handle the forecheck consistently. The turnovers were rampant today.

We got so manhandled that we won. ***** ***** *****.

Great game. I don't get why people need to ***** about it. These are two extremely talented teams. Boston knows that we struggle from an aggressive forecheck and thats what created their goals. When we were able to move up the ice and keep possession we were dominating in their end. We aren't going to manhandle every team. This game kept me interested the whole time and that's why I watch hockey. :thumbup:

This was absolutely a great game to watch. The league couldn't have asked for more for a showcase game like this. Hopefully the ratings were through the roof.

I think people complain when the Wings don't steamroll opponents because they've been so good for so long. They won ugly today. I think that this shows that Jimmy is capable of stealing a game when they get outplayed. This is a good thing.

It is a combination of arrogant and naive to expect the boys to outplay opponents every single game of the season. While I root for it, as fans we need to be realistic. Plus, there is another team on the ice that is attempting to impose their will each night. The Bruins were the hottest team in the league as well as defending Stanley Cup Champs. I don't think ANYONE should have expected them to not come out hard.

Handled?

The Datsyuk line was dominant tonight. Zetterberg had a terrible game, though.

Did you watch the game?

Our defense had trouble getting the puck out of the zone and turned the puck over constantly. We gave up around 45 shots. That's hardly winning hockey. A team as big as Boston or San Jose can do this to us at will.

Howard stood on his head. That's why we won.

I laughed at a guest because I read this. You win the awesome award.

We got so manhandled that we won. ***** ***** *****.

God, you guys are such blind homers. We won because Howard was awesome. Giving up 43 shots is not winning hockey in general.

That's why we can't beat San Jose in a playoff series. We struggle against big, forechecking teams. What is not true about that?

This board can be ******* amazing sometimes.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Did you watch the game?

Our defense had trouble getting the puck out of the zone and turned the puck over constantly. We gave up around 45 shots. That's hardly winning hockey. A team as big as Boston or San Jose can do this to us at will.

For starters, Boston was playing catchup the whole game. Teams that play catchup normally get more chances, and when you have a strong aggressive forecheck like Boston you are going to make things happen more often.

Second, if not for an unforced turnover by Howard, we probably aren't having this conversation.

Third, are you saying the Datsyuk like wasn't dominant today?

Also, the San Jose line is pretty rich since we took them to 7 games last year. And the team still has cap space and time to improve and add another player. Woe is this team.

I think people complain when the Wings don't steamroll opponents because they've been so good for so long. They won ugly today. I think that this shows that Jimmy is capable of stealing a game when they get outplayed. This is a good thing.

personally, I don't complain. I just point out that Wings weren't the better team today and that they are in dire need to curb on the mistakes and turnovers.

and in any case, am glad that Wings stayed competitive against a team of this caliber. those Bruins are good, and being big and physical are also tough

to play against for Wings. nevertheless, we managed to have the lead in the game and then escape with 2 points. that's nice. but looking at the comparison

between those two teams, with some of Wings players being so far from their top game, we'd get killed in 5 playoff games by those Bruins...

Did you watch the game?

God, you guys are such blind homers. We won because Howard was awesome. Giving up 43 shots is not winning hockey in general.

That's why we can't beat San Jose in a playoff series. We struggle against big, forechecking teams. What is not true about that?

We definitely won because Howard was awesome. He screwed up on the first goal, but other than that he stole the Wings this game.

And it's not a coincidence the Wings were making all the turnovers, Zetterberg's aside, a lot of them were due to forecheck pressure and pulling up short to avoid getting hit instead of completing the pass. When the Bruins stepped up the forecheck and the physical play in the third, they had the Wings on their heels the whole time. As much grief as they get here, the great thing about guys like Homer and Cleary is they don't shrink when the physical play increases. The Wings were turning the puck over and losing puck battles because they were getting out muscled and out hit.

Obviously I'm happy the Wings won and will gladly take the two points, but I agree, the Wings do have a hard time with big forechecking teams. They used to have the skill to work around that kind of forecheck, but I think now the skill level has dropped enough that they struggle with it.

It doesn't really matter for a non-conference game against Boston, but like you point out, this is really about the Sharks.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

For starters, Boston was playing catchup the whole game. Teams that play catchup normally get more chances, and when you have a strong aggressive forecheck like Boston you are going to make things happen more often.

Second, if not for an unforced turnover by Howard, we probably aren't having this conversation.

Third, are you saying the Datsyuk like wasn't dominant today?

Also, the San Jose line is pretty rich since we took them to 7 games last year. And the team still has cap space and time to improve and add another player. Woe is this team.

My point was about our defense, which I don't think played great. Don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

Datsyuk was awesome, but he's not what I was criticizing. In fact, he "was" his line. I was talking more about the defense.

Howard's turnover was in part because we had trouble handling the forecheck. Same with Zetterberg's gaffe.

The part about teams catching up getting more chances doesn't hold water. Neither team was ever up by more than a goal. If anything, our defense should have tightened up and not give up a shooting gallery. And you're right about Boston's aggressive forecheck usually getting lots of chances. That's the whole point I was making. We don't handle that kind team well.

Lastly, San Jose beat us two years in a row. People have a hard time grasping that. So we took them to 7 games the second time around. Big deal. We still lost.

Edited by GMRwings1983

a bit lucky,but great win.To outwork and out-muscle the B's we should change a half of roster so relax people.

Of course I was pissed about giveaways,but when saw Lids and Dats can't handle the puck couple of times I realized the part of the blame is on ice condition as well.

LGW!

My point was about our defense, which I don't think played great. Don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

Datsyuk was awesome, but he's not what I was criticizing. In fact, he "was" his line. I was talking more about the defense.

Howard's turnover was in part because we had trouble handling the forecheck. Same with Zetterberg's gaffe.

Zetterberg's gaffe was a part of the forecheck. Howard wasn't paying attention and just gave it away.

The part about teams catching up getting more chances doesn't hold water. Neither team was ever up by more than a goal. If anything, our defense should have tightened up and not give up a shooting gallery. And you're right about Boston's aggressive forecheck usually getting lost of chances. That's the whole point I was making. We don't handle that kind team well.

The stat holds water considering the top teams in the league are also tops in shot differential at even strength and when the game is tied.

Lastly, San Jose beat us two years in a row. People have a hard time grasping that. So we took them to 7 games the second time around. Big deal. We still lost.

Detroit improved against San Jose last year and almost came out with a series win.

Hell, Phoenix doesn't cry gloom and doom as much as people on here and they went from going 7 games to a 4 game sweep against the Red Wings.

The team isn't a Stanley Cup contender right now, sure. But the team is back where they should be in the standings and have the potential to improve. And they beat a strong talented Boston team with a solid win from our goaltender. That should be cause for celebration, not worry.

Did you watch the game?

I would agree with you...but that big forechecking team named San Jose... Although they just beat us (Howie played bad) Wings out PLAYED them. The shot count was like 47 to 22 (around there). San Jose was playing great hockey going into that game, and still playing great hockey after that game. Wings managed to keep them around 22 shots.

I think the Wings can handle just fine. I think the Bruins just played a fuggin' great game (have they even hit 40+ shots until now?). The Wings Played a well enough game to keep up...we as fans should be happy that the Wings were able to keep up and win, and not buckle to the point where they got dominated (remember the ST.louis game?).

Edited by Dynheart

Oh my the wings got so physically dominated, you can't deny they were very lucky to come out with the W

Yeah, it's teams like Boston that can highlight how un-physical Detroit is. They won almost every physical battle. I thought they were going to force the Wings to wear dresses to start the 3rd. The only Wing that seemed to win any physical battles was Datsyuk, but what's new . I was kinda hopin' Bertuzzi would respond with a few big hits of his own, but I think he was scared of Lucic. But they won, so...

But I have no desire to play Boston in the finals, assuming Detroit can get past the second round. Ouch! I'm sore just thinking about it.

I would agree with you...but that big forechecking team named San Jose... Although they just beat us (Howie played bad) Wings out PLAYED them. The shot count was like 47 to 22 (around there). San Jose was playing great hockey going into that game, and still playing great hockey after that game. Wings managed to keep them around 22 shots.

I think the Wings can handle just fine. I think the Bruins just played a fuggin' great game (have they even hit 40+ shots until now?). The Wings Played a well enough game to keep up...we as fans should be happy that the Wings were able to keep up and win, and not buckle to the point where they got dominated (remember the ST.louis game?).

Unfortunately, with San Jose, it seems to be mental as well as physical.

They just have an edge over us. I remember how much trouble the Wings had against Anaheim as well, in 2007 and finally 2009, where we edged them in 7 games.

I don't know if size is necessarily where Holland is looking for the trade deadline. I don't see us getting Weber like some hope.

Unfortunately, with San Jose, it seems to be mental as well as physical.

They just have an edge over us. I remember how much trouble the Wings had against Anaheim as well, in 2007 and finally 2009, where we edged them in 7 games.

I don't know if size is necessarily where Holland is looking for the trade deadline. I don't see us getting Weber like some hope.

I think we are OK with what we have. If anything, Holland should try for a McCarty type player (Skilled/Big/Will stick up for players). Problem with that...McCarty type player = a freak of nature and hard to find. Most tough guys have no skill. I was hoping Bert would be that guy, but he's just a softy anymore.

EDIT: Also he needs to add a top 6 winger IMO.

Edited by Dynheart

They made us work for what we got...and we gave them their goals on a silver platter. Still I'll gladly take the two points. And by the way, dear Pasha, in case I haven't told you lately, I worship the ice you skate on. :wub:

Didn't see the game, but Howard can win a Stanley Cup. I'm convinced now, theres a difference between standing on your head on a tuesday night in Columbus and on national TV against the Stanley Cup champions. We make a few moves throughout the year, and our young guys keep getting better and who knows what this team could be capable of.

Zetterberg looked good on the assist to Filppula, but after that I thought there was something a little off with him today. Same thing with Helm; they both looked like they had problems controlling the puck throughout the game. Good thing Howard activated Beast Mode and Filppula and Datsyuk stepped up their games today.

With how much we turned it over, I found it kind of funny how relieved I would feel whenever the puck made it on to Lidstrom's stick.