robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

just saw this on my twitter...it comes from Jake Ware, a Washington Columnist

Red Wings acquire: RW Alexander Semin + D Jeff Schultz

Capitals acquire: LW Dan Cleary + D Jakub Kindl + 2012 First-Round Pick

"It was heavily rumoured this past offseason that the Detroit Red Wings took a hard run at Alexander Semin, but that the Caps did not oblige. They lack top-level skill players on their wings, and it seemed Semin was a good candidate for them.

His acquisition would allow them to recreate a phenomenal first line, the 27-year-old being put alongside superstars Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. With their cap space, the Red Wings would also be able to bring in defenseman Jeff Schultz, who would add good size and depth at defense. He excels on the penalty kill and in shot blocking—both areas where the Wings could use help.

While many might see this as a losing trade for the Caps, it is in fact quite the opposite. They pick up versatile winger Dan Cleary, one of the most honest and consistent players in the league. With a Stanley Cup under his belt, he would also bring some much needed experience and leadership to the Caps' lineup. Assuming Mike Knuble eventually climbs back up the depth chart, this trade would help build a strong second-line of Cleary, Marcus Johansson and Knuble.

In addition, the Caps pick up one of the best young defensive players in the league in Jakub Kindl, who would take Schultz's spot and eventually replace Roman Hamrlik in the lineup. They'd also receive a good first-rounder in the 2012 draft."

I dont mind the trade at all, I would do it in a heartbeat. Having Semin on Datsyuks wing could be absolutely deadly, letting Franzen play with Zetterbeg and having the blueprints of two extremely good scoring lines. The only thing I would like to change is the 1st round pick to a 2nd rounder, or possibly a prospect like Landon Ferraro.

Semin, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Franzen, Zetterberg, Filppula

Hudler, Helm, Bertuzzi

Abdelkader, Emmerton, Eaves

Lidstrom, White

Kronwall, Ericsson

Schultz, Stuart

What do you guys think? (dont shoot the messenger)

Edited by robb himself, 25 November 2011 - 11:17 AM.

be about it!

#2 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Wings would be stupid to turn down that trade. The Capitals would be stupid to accept that trade. Plus, doesn't Cleary have a NTC/NMC?

So in your scenario, Filppula has been traded as well?

Edited by Konnan511, 25 November 2011 - 10:02 AM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#3 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

Wings would be stupid to turn down that trade. The Capitals would be stupid to accept that trade. Plus, doesn't Cleary have a NTC/NMC?

Cleary's NTC is effective until 30 days prior the trade deadline.

#4 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Agreed 100%

I'd be sad to see Cleary go and Semin has SERIOUS compete level problems, but the talent level would be simply too much to pass up... Schultz would also be a very welcome addition on our blueline, also, the OPs lines are very odd (as you touched on, with the obvious ommission of one of our best, most consistent players this season - Fil)

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#5 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

Do you really think the Caps would go for this? If they want rid of Semin that bad I think it is a steal for the Wings. I would love to see what Semin and Dats could do together!

#6 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

yikes! I cant believe I missed Filppula! I was trying to write submit this thread as I was eating my breakfast and rushing out the door for work...sorry guys...my bad!

But yeah I'd have Filppula on that second line with Franzen and Zetterberg and bump Bertuzzi down o the third line.
be about it!

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,847 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

Throw Erskine in there, and I take this trade in a heartbeat.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 swiss_fan

swiss_fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

I didnt get it. Legit rumor or scÚnario?

#9 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

id miss kindl. but semins with datsyuk yesss. we need sniper

#10 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

A week ago on the HNIC Satellite Hotstove the panel talked as though Semin could be had on the cheap (panel mentioned the Caps would pack Semin's bag for him) - as in it'd would be a welcome salary dump for a overpaid guy not playing up to expectations.

If that's the case (salary dump)- then I'm thinking Hudler, or Cleary straight up for Semin.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#11 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

A week ago on the HNIC Satellite Hotstove the panel talked as though Semin could be had on the cheap (panel mentioned the Caps would pack Semin's bag for him) - as in it'd would be a welcome salary dump for a overpaid guy not playing up to expectations.

If that's the case (salary dump)- then I'm thinking Hudler, or Cleary straight up for Semin.

I'd like that! Hudler or Cleary, that way you could keep the other to package a deal for Parise. If you add Semin and Parise, how do we acquire Weber or Suter? Not likely, nor probable that the Wings pick up all these guys, but could you imagine this team with Semin, Parise and one of Weber/Suter? If the OP's rumor/scenario brings us Semin and Shultz for Cleary/Kindl, I wouldn't mind seeing Ericsson packaged for one of the Preds. Stranger things have happened...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#12 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hee hee... Semin...

#13 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,061 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

A big defenceman who isn't physical, and a soft slug with a worse work ethic then Hudler. Ya no, I just want nothing to do with Semin. (lollll :hehe:)

#NOMOREKINDL

#14 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Those of you that would not do this trade are nuts! Semin would provide the wings with a lot more scoring, and would work out great with Pavs imo. He has never been able to play with a 1st line centerman for an entire season and is still a 30 goal scorer... imagine what he can do with Pavs. I would accept this trade in a heartbeat because it would give the Wings a lot more options and make them a lot more dangerous on offense.

#15 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

I much rather give them hudler then cleary. Even though cleary isnt scoring goals like last year he is doing great defensively. Hudler is getting close to 3 mil to play 3rd line mins. I cringe every time I see him in the defensive zone.

#16 DatsyukDangles

DatsyukDangles

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

I'm from Baltimore originally and, in addition to catching all the Wings games, I watch the majority of the Caps' games. I would not want Semin. As some other posters have mentioned, the guy has a terrible work ethic. He's taken something like 14 stick penalties this season and leads the caps in PIM. Come playoff time he vanishes.

Given that trade scenario, I wouldn't want to see Cleary go to get Semin. If we had a straight up trade of Hudler for Semin, maybe, but for the cap hit we'd take I really wouldn't be interested in acquiring him.

#17 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

This trade would only work for Washington if they were 100% positive Semin was splitsville in the summer. On the same side of the coin I'd only really want to do it if I knew Semin would sign with the Wings for a reasonable contract. With his obvious attitude problems and clashes with Big Bruce Boudreau (tripa B as I assume he likes to be called) Holland would have to be damn sure Semin could be forced to actually work hard every night. If he had Datsyuk's work ethic he could actually be competing for 1st in scoring on a regular basis instead of settling for top 20 numbers with terrible consistency and bad penalties.

I'm from Baltimore originally and, in addition to catching all the Wings games, I watch the majority of the Caps' games. I would not want Semin. As some other posters have mentioned, the guy has a terrible work ethic. He's taken something like 14 stick penalties this season and leads the caps in PIM. Come playoff time he vanishes.

Given that trade scenario, I wouldn't want to see Cleary go to get Semin. If we had a straight up trade of Hudler for Semin, maybe, but for the cap hit we'd take I really wouldn't be interested in acquiring him.

Holland would sign off on a straight trade of Hudler for Semin without a second thought. In a worse-case scenario Semin can put Hudler's best-case numbers up. Hudler's a 50-60pt guy when he's on his game. Semin is a 80-100pt guy.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#18 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Semin does not even belong in the nhl, give us ov instead
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#19 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

I didnt get it. Legit rumor or scÚnario?

It was a speculative comment by a Washington writer, definitely not a trade rumour. Though, I suppose it's be e7 on 'tardlund's website. :lol:
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#20 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Living close to D.C, I can say firsthand that Semin is the favorite scapegoat for the casual Caps fan. Sometimes talent doesn't overshadow work ethic -- just ask the proud new owners of Nikita Filatov.

Unless he's given up for cheap, stay far, far away, Kenny.