No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Semin

Rate this topic

just saw this on my twitter...it comes from Jake Ware, a Washington Columnist

Red Wings acquire: RW Alexander Semin + D Jeff Schultz

Capitals acquire: LW Dan Cleary + D Jakub Kindl + 2012 First-Round Pick

"It was heavily rumoured this past offseason that the Detroit Red Wings took a hard run at Alexander Semin, but that the Caps did not oblige. They lack top-level skill players on their wings, and it seemed Semin was a good candidate for them.

His acquisition would allow them to recreate a phenomenal first line, the 27-year-old being put alongside superstars Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. With their cap space, the Red Wings would also be able to bring in defenseman Jeff Schultz, who would add good size and depth at defense. He excels on the penalty kill and in shot blocking—both areas where the Wings could use help.

While many might see this as a losing trade for the Caps, it is in fact quite the opposite. They pick up versatile winger Dan Cleary, one of the most honest and consistent players in the league. With a Stanley Cup under his belt, he would also bring some much needed experience and leadership to the Caps' lineup. Assuming Mike Knuble eventually climbs back up the depth chart, this trade would help build a strong second-line of Cleary, Marcus Johansson and Knuble.

In addition, the Caps pick up one of the best young defensive players in the league in Jakub Kindl, who would take Schultz's spot and eventually replace Roman Hamrlik in the lineup. They'd also receive a good first-rounder in the 2012 draft."

I dont mind the trade at all, I would do it in a heartbeat. Having Semin on Datsyuks wing could be absolutely deadly, letting Franzen play with Zetterbeg and having the blueprints of two extremely good scoring lines. The only thing I would like to change is the 1st round pick to a 2nd rounder, or possibly a prospect like Landon Ferraro.

Semin, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Franzen, Zetterberg, Filppula

Hudler, Helm, Bertuzzi

Abdelkader, Emmerton, Eaves

Lidstrom, White

Kronwall, Ericsson

Schultz, Stuart

What do you guys think? (dont shoot the messenger)

Edited by robb himself

Wings would be stupid to turn down that trade. The Capitals would be stupid to accept that trade. Plus, doesn't Cleary have a NTC/NMC?

So in your scenario, Filppula has been traded as well?

Edited by Konnan511

Wings would be stupid to turn down that trade. The Capitals would be stupid to accept that trade. Plus, doesn't Cleary have a NTC/NMC?

Agreed 100%

I'd be sad to see Cleary go and Semin has SERIOUS compete level problems, but the talent level would be simply too much to pass up... Schultz would also be a very welcome addition on our blueline, also, the OPs lines are very odd (as you touched on, with the obvious ommission of one of our best, most consistent players this season - Fil)

yikes! I cant believe I missed Filppula! I was trying to write submit this thread as I was eating my breakfast and rushing out the door for work...sorry guys...my bad!

But yeah I'd have Filppula on that second line with Franzen and Zetterberg and bump Bertuzzi down o the third line.

A week ago on the HNIC Satellite Hotstove the panel talked as though Semin could be had on the cheap (panel mentioned the Caps would pack Semin's bag for him) - as in it'd would be a welcome salary dump for a overpaid guy not playing up to expectations.

If that's the case (salary dump)- then I'm thinking Hudler, or Cleary straight up for Semin.

I'd like that! Hudler or Cleary, that way you could keep the other to package a deal for Parise. If you add Semin and Parise, how do we acquire Weber or Suter? Not likely, nor probable that the Wings pick up all these guys, but could you imagine this team with Semin, Parise and one of Weber/Suter? If the OP's rumor/scenario brings us Semin and Shultz for Cleary/Kindl, I wouldn't mind seeing Ericsson packaged for one of the Preds. Stranger things have happened...

Those of you that would not do this trade are nuts! Semin would provide the wings with a lot more scoring, and would work out great with Pavs imo. He has never been able to play with a 1st line centerman for an entire season and is still a 30 goal scorer... imagine what he can do with Pavs. I would accept this trade in a heartbeat because it would give the Wings a lot more options and make them a lot more dangerous on offense.

I much rather give them hudler then cleary. Even though cleary isnt scoring goals like last year he is doing great defensively. Hudler is getting close to 3 mil to play 3rd line mins. I cringe every time I see him in the defensive zone.

I'm from Baltimore originally and, in addition to catching all the Wings games, I watch the majority of the Caps' games. I would not want Semin. As some other posters have mentioned, the guy has a terrible work ethic. He's taken something like 14 stick penalties this season and leads the caps in PIM. Come playoff time he vanishes.

Given that trade scenario, I wouldn't want to see Cleary go to get Semin. If we had a straight up trade of Hudler for Semin, maybe, but for the cap hit we'd take I really wouldn't be interested in acquiring him.

This trade would only work for Washington if they were 100% positive Semin was splitsville in the summer. On the same side of the coin I'd only really want to do it if I knew Semin would sign with the Wings for a reasonable contract. With his obvious attitude problems and clashes with Big Bruce Boudreau (tripa B as I assume he likes to be called) Holland would have to be damn sure Semin could be forced to actually work hard every night. If he had Datsyuk's work ethic he could actually be competing for 1st in scoring on a regular basis instead of settling for top 20 numbers with terrible consistency and bad penalties.

I'm from Baltimore originally and, in addition to catching all the Wings games, I watch the majority of the Caps' games. I would not want Semin. As some other posters have mentioned, the guy has a terrible work ethic. He's taken something like 14 stick penalties this season and leads the caps in PIM. Come playoff time he vanishes.

Given that trade scenario, I wouldn't want to see Cleary go to get Semin. If we had a straight up trade of Hudler for Semin, maybe, but for the cap hit we'd take I really wouldn't be interested in acquiring him.

Holland would sign off on a straight trade of Hudler for Semin without a second thought. In a worse-case scenario Semin can put Hudler's best-case numbers up. Hudler's a 50-60pt guy when he's on his game. Semin is a 80-100pt guy.

I much rather give them hudler then cleary. Even though cleary isn't scoring goals like last year he is doing great defensively. Hudler is getting close to 3 mil to play 3rd line mind. I cringe every time I see him in the defensive zone.

I would too but there is no way they would take that in trade. Hudler has been the biggest disappointment since he came back.

How did this thread turn into the laughable prospect of trading Hudler for Semin? No way it happens. I don't think they're that desperate to dump his salary to give him away for an ooma loompa. According the the article, they weren't going to budge for Cleary, Kindl, and a pick. It's going to cost a pretty penny to get him and it's not worth it in my opinion. Plus, Dan Cleary represents everything a Wing should be. No need to trade him for some lazy, wasted talent.

I would too but there is no way they would take that in trade. Hudler has been the biggest disappointment since he came back.

Tied for 5th on the team in pts and has been very solid this season... Hudler for Semin straight up is a no brainer and Hudler was horrendous last season and he's probably NEVER going to be more than a .5- .7 ppg player in this league, but let's keep things in perspective... he hasn't been bad this season...

How did this thread turn into the laughable prospect of trading Hudler for Semin? No way it happens. I don't think they're that desperate to dump his salary to give him away for an ooma loompa. According the the article, they weren't going to budge for Cleary, Kindl, and a pick. It's going to cost a pretty penny to get him and it's not worth it in my opinion. Plus, Dan Cleary represents everything a Wing should be. No need to trade him for some lazy, wasted talent.

Once again, Hudler has been decent this season, but I more or less agree with your whole post... they'll certianly want more than Hudler, or even Hudler and a pick, etc... but Semin's compete level REALLY scares me and I don't know if I'd be willing to part with anything significant for a guy whose bags will probably be packed for summer come May 1st, regardless of playoffs... Matt Bradley's comments speak VOLUMES and I don't know if I'd want to take on that potential cancer, even with the depth of leadership in our lockerroom... especially not at any significant price...

For those of you offering up Hudler instead of Cleary, here's an interesting fact:

Alexander Semin is 27, and a UFA this offseason.

Jiri Hudler is 27, and a UFA this offseason.

Dan Cleary is 32 (turns 33 in three weeks) signed through next season at an inexpensive price given his performance over the past few years.

Jakub Kindl is 24, signed for one more year, then becomes an RFA.

Jeff Schultz is 26, signed for three more years, and then becomes a UFA.

I like Dan Cleary. I think he's a good player and the kind of guy you want to have around. That said, he's getting old and he's very injury prone.

Semin is an interesting case. I don't think a deal gets done unless a) he's willing to extend with the trading team or b) he's given up on the cheap.

But in either of those scenarios, Washington is dealing out a soon-to-be UFA forward and expects some value back. Hudler himself is a soon-to-be UFA forward, so that doesn't really offer very much unless he somehow clicks with Ovechkin and starts scoring crazy amounts. So you can rule Hudler out of the deal.

On defense, it's interesting. Jeff Schultz is a solid defenseman and would be a great addition. I don't want to part with Kindl, and I'm sure Holland doesn't either. Ericsson offers many of the same things Kindl does, plus more experience and notably, playoff experience on a Cup finalist.

So swapping Ericsson, who is 27, for Kindl shouldn't be an issue. Ericsson is signed for three years so that's not a concern to Washington.

Ultimately, if you don't want to see Cleary in this scenario, you have to put Franzen or Filppula. Dats and Z would bring back Semin on their own, and nobody else but Franzen and Filppula have the trade value and contract situation Washington would be looking for. Filppula is easily the most valuable of the three, and Cleary the most expendable. But Franzen is the best trade piece (if necessary) as he's inconsistent, injury prone, and getting moreso on both fronts every day. Cleary is injury prone, but he's been a pretty consistent guy the past few years.

So let's make it Cleary/Ericsson/1st for Semin/Schultz. The Wings losing a first that could be used to nab a Parise or Suter might hurt, but the potential outcome of having Semin with Dats or Z is very nice.

And finally; the pick would have to be adjusted based on when during the season the trade is happening. If Cleary isn't going to waive his NTC, then it's a deadline deal and the pick shouldn't be necessary to grab Semin from Washington if they're still shopping him. A Cleary/Ericsson/1st package should be enough to bring back Parise or Suter (or Weber?) at the deadline, and Semin falls a bit short of that level. maybe a 3rd or lower, or maybe even no pick.

Semin/Datsyuk/Filppula

Franzen/Zetterberg/Hudler

Mursak/Helm/Eaves

Holmstrom/Abs/Bertuzzi

Emmerton/Miller

Lidstrom/White

Kronwall/Schultz

Smith(Kindl)/Stuart

Commodore

Solves the Brad Stuart "issue" going forward by getting a better replacement for him than Ericsson, while significantly improving top-six scoring. Semin re-signs at a similar value, or Holland deals his rights plus something for a good player (or their rights, such as Parise/Suter/Weber), and it works out.

Next year? Assuming Lidstrom doesn't return, it could be this...

Semin/Datsyuk/Franzen

Parise/Zetterberg/Hudler

Mursak/Helm/Filppula

Abby/Emmy/Eaves

Miller/???

Kronwall/Schultz

Smith/Suter

Kindl/Stuart

???

With Suter at 6.5, Semin at 7, Parise at 7, Helm at 1.5, Abdelkader at 1, and Hudler at 3, and Joey Mac (or similarly priced backup) as well as two minimum wage additions (retention of Janik and Conner?) this roster works but is at the cap.