• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

I much rather give them hudler then cleary. Even though cleary isn't scoring goals like last year he is doing great defensively. Hudler is getting close to 3 mil to play 3rd line mind. I cringe every time I see him in the defensive zone.

I would too but there is no way they would take that in trade. Hudler has been the biggest disappointment since he came back.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#22 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

How did this thread turn into the laughable prospect of trading Hudler for Semin? No way it happens. I don't think they're that desperate to dump his salary to give him away for an ooma loompa. According the the article, they weren't going to budge for Cleary, Kindl, and a pick. It's going to cost a pretty penny to get him and it's not worth it in my opinion. Plus, Dan Cleary represents everything a Wing should be. No need to trade him for some lazy, wasted talent.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

I would too but there is no way they would take that in trade. Hudler has been the biggest disappointment since he came back.

Tied for 5th on the team in pts and has been very solid this season... Hudler for Semin straight up is a no brainer and Hudler was horrendous last season and he's probably NEVER going to be more than a .5- .7 ppg player in this league, but let's keep things in perspective... he hasn't been bad this season...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#24 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

How did this thread turn into the laughable prospect of trading Hudler for Semin? No way it happens. I don't think they're that desperate to dump his salary to give him away for an ooma loompa. According the the article, they weren't going to budge for Cleary, Kindl, and a pick. It's going to cost a pretty penny to get him and it's not worth it in my opinion. Plus, Dan Cleary represents everything a Wing should be. No need to trade him for some lazy, wasted talent.

Once again, Hudler has been decent this season, but I more or less agree with your whole post... they'll certianly want more than Hudler, or even Hudler and a pick, etc... but Semin's compete level REALLY scares me and I don't know if I'd be willing to part with anything significant for a guy whose bags will probably be packed for summer come May 1st, regardless of playoffs... Matt Bradley's comments speak VOLUMES and I don't know if I'd want to take on that potential cancer, even with the depth of leadership in our lockerroom... especially not at any significant price...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#25 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

For those of you offering up Hudler instead of Cleary, here's an interesting fact:

Alexander Semin is 27, and a UFA this offseason.
Jiri Hudler is 27, and a UFA this offseason.
Dan Cleary is 32 (turns 33 in three weeks) signed through next season at an inexpensive price given his performance over the past few years.

Jakub Kindl is 24, signed for one more year, then becomes an RFA.
Jeff Schultz is 26, signed for three more years, and then becomes a UFA.

I like Dan Cleary. I think he's a good player and the kind of guy you want to have around. That said, he's getting old and he's very injury prone.

Semin is an interesting case. I don't think a deal gets done unless a) he's willing to extend with the trading team or b) he's given up on the cheap.

But in either of those scenarios, Washington is dealing out a soon-to-be UFA forward and expects some value back. Hudler himself is a soon-to-be UFA forward, so that doesn't really offer very much unless he somehow clicks with Ovechkin and starts scoring crazy amounts. So you can rule Hudler out of the deal.

On defense, it's interesting. Jeff Schultz is a solid defenseman and would be a great addition. I don't want to part with Kindl, and I'm sure Holland doesn't either. Ericsson offers many of the same things Kindl does, plus more experience and notably, playoff experience on a Cup finalist.

So swapping Ericsson, who is 27, for Kindl shouldn't be an issue. Ericsson is signed for three years so that's not a concern to Washington.

Ultimately, if you don't want to see Cleary in this scenario, you have to put Franzen or Filppula. Dats and Z would bring back Semin on their own, and nobody else but Franzen and Filppula have the trade value and contract situation Washington would be looking for. Filppula is easily the most valuable of the three, and Cleary the most expendable. But Franzen is the best trade piece (if necessary) as he's inconsistent, injury prone, and getting moreso on both fronts every day. Cleary is injury prone, but he's been a pretty consistent guy the past few years.

So let's make it Cleary/Ericsson/1st for Semin/Schultz. The Wings losing a first that could be used to nab a Parise or Suter might hurt, but the potential outcome of having Semin with Dats or Z is very nice.

And finally; the pick would have to be adjusted based on when during the season the trade is happening. If Cleary isn't going to waive his NTC, then it's a deadline deal and the pick shouldn't be necessary to grab Semin from Washington if they're still shopping him. A Cleary/Ericsson/1st package should be enough to bring back Parise or Suter (or Weber?) at the deadline, and Semin falls a bit short of that level. maybe a 3rd or lower, or maybe even no pick.

Semin/Datsyuk/Filppula
Franzen/Zetterberg/Hudler
Mursak/Helm/Eaves
Holmstrom/Abs/Bertuzzi
Emmerton/Miller

Lidstrom/White
Kronwall/Schultz
Smith(Kindl)/Stuart
Commodore

Solves the Brad Stuart "issue" going forward by getting a better replacement for him than Ericsson, while significantly improving top-six scoring. Semin re-signs at a similar value, or Holland deals his rights plus something for a good player (or their rights, such as Parise/Suter/Weber), and it works out.

Next year? Assuming Lidstrom doesn't return, it could be this...

Semin/Datsyuk/Franzen
Parise/Zetterberg/Hudler
Mursak/Helm/Filppula
Abby/Emmy/Eaves
Miller/???

Kronwall/Schultz
Smith/Suter
Kindl/Stuart
???

With Suter at 6.5, Semin at 7, Parise at 7, Helm at 1.5, Abdelkader at 1, and Hudler at 3, and Joey Mac (or similarly priced backup) as well as two minimum wage additions (retention of Janik and Conner?) this roster works but is at the cap.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#26 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

Robert Lang comes to mind.

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Robert Lang comes to mind.

Except Lang scored big goals in the playoffs.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Except Lang scored big goals in the playoffs.

Semin doesn't? 12 goals and 18 assists in 37 playoff games. Lang had 18 goals and 28 assists in 91 playoff games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNShNgXXZpI
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Semin doesn't? 12 goals and 18 assists in 37 playoff games. Lang had 18 goals and 28 assists in 91 playoff games.

Dude, Lang beat the Sharks for us singlehandedly with his tying goal in game 4.

Also, he was awesome in the 2004 playoffs and played well in the Edmonton series in 2006.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 26 November 2011 - 02:13 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#30 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Dude, Lang beat the Sharks for us singlehandedly with his tying goal in game 4.

Also, he was awesome in the 2004 playoffs and played well in the Edmonton series in 2006.

True story on the goal vrs the Sharks. I just believe Semin has a huge upside. If you can get the laziness out of him. He has a lot of talent, but he is just not very driven. I think playing for a different coach and team may just be that motivation.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#31 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

True story on the goal vrs the Sharks. I just believe Semin has a huge upside. If you can get the laziness out of him. He has a lot of talent, but he is just not very driven. I think playing for a different coach and team may just be that motivation.

he has no upside, laziness is one of the many flaws he has, he is also devoid of toughness and one of the league's worst divers. He is a mockery to the sport.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter