85 replies to this topic

#21 Krystal

Krystal

Hank's My Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

from cbssports.com

Detroit winger Patrick Eaves was taken off the ice on a stretcher late in the game after he was struck near the right ear by Roman Josi's slap shot. He was conscious and lifted himself onto the cart before leaving the arena.

"You don't want to see a player go down and be taken off on a stretcher," said Josi, who made his NHL debut Saturday night. "I felt bad. I said that to him and he said it's alright and he's going to be fine. That was good; he stood up alone and got on the stretcher."

Eaves was taken to the nearby Detroit Medical Center. Babcock did not know his condition after the game.

Poor Patty.. takes the shot, and then tells the kid who hit him that it's alright. Classy move by Josi to check on him, and even classier by Eaves to shake it off and try to make the kid feel better about it.

#22 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

Fractured Jaw - Anzar Khan

No timetable for return

Will be re evaluated over the next few days to decide if surgery is necessary.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 27 November 2011 - 12:15 AM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#23 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:28 AM

and you damn well know that once eaves is back he will be right there putting himself in harms way blocking shots again. wish there was more guys on this team that had guts like that.

get back soon patty!

Unfortunately, if Eaves wasn't in the way, it was going to hit someone else up high since it was a terrible slap shot with no accuracy. But I agree, this will now way deter Eaves from blocking shots that he actually intended to block.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#24 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

The young Swiss lad was making his NHL debut and must be feeling awful right now. But in his defence the puck actually flipped up as he was shooting, so it turned into a knuckle ball shot that can wind up anywhere and for
poor Patty he was first in line. Speedy recovery Pat, and spare a thought for Josi to.

On another note that has been raised in this thread, Emmerton may not be the flashiest and most productive
player we have but he has been steady and i would say is doing what he has been told to do by Babs. Its not as
if he is a -10, so im not sure what some fans expect out of a rookie 4th line centre. (anyway i gotta root for him as he wears my # )
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#25 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

Eaves is one of my top 5 favorite players on this team, I cannot understand why he would EVER be a healthy scratch... So now he finally gets back into the line up and this happens. Ugh... Get better soon Patty!

Side note - I agree with most of you, class act by Josi to go over to Eaves and check on him :thumbup:
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#26 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:16 AM

That poor kid must feel two inches tall right now. I applaud him for going over and apologizing to Patrick. My heart goes out to both of them, and I hope Pat has a speedy recovery. NO kisses from Reuben for you!
Posted Image

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:37 AM

Classy act by the kid to apologize. :clap: That's the common courtesy the NHL players seem to lack for one another these days. Play hard, hit hard, but when someone is seriously hurt, you put everything aside to make sure he's okay :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

Don't think anything seriously wrong will come from the injury, as some people have already mentioned it's a fractured jaw which might pose some problems as it's so high up. It wont just be a bone that can be held in place and allowed to fix naturally, it might need a wire or something to stop it slipping under gravity (I mean it must be the very top of the jaw if it's right underneath the ear). But with regards to him falling so dramatically, seeing as it was his ear, it was probably a balance issue that meant he flopped, and most likely passed out. It was shocking to watch and as a fan, I feared something might be wrong, but it probably hit him in a fairly alright place (not that I'd like it! lol) but there's no real shot to any brain area (bit too low), there's quite strong bone protection (jaw), and it was away from his cheeks which can have some serious knock on affects (such as displacing the eye socket which is really horrible). I mean anywhere else could have potentially been much worse, but still wish him a speedy recovery. Shows why he should be in this team every game, just doing everything he can to stop a shot, which like someone already mentioned, this team has been doing a lot of recently.

Also have to say I felt so sorry for Josi. He did look like "oh my God what the heck have I done?!" I mean he's not been long playing out of facemasks surely. Classy move by him to see Patty as he was leaving the ice.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#29 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

If he didnt turn his head it wouldve hit him right in the visor and who knows what wouldve happened then. I know theyre rated to take shots like that.

Sucks for eaves. Hope he gets well soon

Atleast the wings are showing some guts

#30 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

I wonder if the ear guards would have helped in this case. I never understood why the pros take them off.

#31 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Broken jaw = having your jaw wired shut for at least 6 weeks pending on the fracture. Damn

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Reminds me of Roenick a couple of years ago, when a slapshot broke his jaw and knocked him out cold.

Very dangerous play and I guess Eaves will be out for a while now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 Smitty_Feed

Smitty_Feed

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

MLive is reporting Eaves is out 6-8 weeks, ans that they are hoping he'll be back mid-January.

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Eaves out 6-8 weeks

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#35 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

Don't think anything seriously wrong will come from the injury, as some people have already mentioned it's a fractured jaw which might pose some problems as it's so high up. It wont just be a bone that can be held in place and allowed to fix naturally, it might need a wire or something to stop it slipping under gravity (I mean it must be the very top of the jaw if it's right underneath the ear). But with regards to him falling so dramatically, seeing as it was his ear, it was probably a balance issue that meant he flopped, and most likely passed out. It was shocking to watch and as a fan, I feared something might be wrong, but it probably hit him in a fairly alright place (not that I'd like it! lol) but there's no real shot to any brain area (bit too low), there's quite strong bone protection (jaw), and it was away from his cheeks which can have some serious knock on affects (such as displacing the eye socket which is really horrible). I mean anywhere else could have potentially been much worse, but still wish him a speedy recovery. Shows why he should be in this team every game, just doing everything he can to stop a shot, which like someone already mentioned, this team has been doing a lot of recently.

Also have to say I felt so sorry for Josi. He did look like "oh my God what the heck have I done?!" I mean he's not been long playing out of facemasks surely. Classy move by him to see Patty as he was leaving the ice.

Getting hit in the jaw can cause some serious intra-cranial vibrations, and is a leading cause of concussions. High on the side where Eaves was hit isn't as bad as other areas but can still be very serious. Hopefully, the jaw is the worst of his injuries.

#36 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

Maybe they'll call up Tatar. Not that he's earned it the most. He just desperately needs a spark.

#37 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Get well soon, Patty Eaves, we haven't seen enough of you this season.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#38 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Maybe they'll call up Tatar. Not that he's earned it the most. He just desperately needs a spark.

I think Nyquist would be the first option at GR.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#39 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

I hope he gets well soon.

#40 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Reminds me of Roenick a couple of years ago, when a slapshot broke his jaw and knocked him out cold.

Very dangerous play and I guess Eaves will be out for a while now.

Still remember that, scary moment.