• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Bylsma Defends Crosby's Elbow on Foligno

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=603351

Interesting but short article. Apparently Foligno got elbowed in the head by Crosby (I didn't see the play) and called him out for it. Foligno felt Crosby was being hypocritical about talking about headshots throughout the summer and then going and doing just that.

I don't know how serious it was and I'm not trying to single Crosby out so much as I am the Penguins' response.

Bylsma basically said it was Foligno's fault for agitating Crosby and that he expects his players to play physical. So apparently headshots are only a big deal when they're targeted at Crosby? Bylsma's response is fitting for a fight or something, or a big hit, but considering the high profile nature of head-shots...I get that he won't call Crosby out, but at least try to bury it, not defend it.

Thoughts?

New rule. If you're going to start a thread about an incident, take the time to include a video so people don't have to go searching and embed the video into the thread.

Here's a video of the incident. If it looks familiar, Crosby pulled the same kind of tantrum on Zetterberg once (although Zetterberg didn't deserve it, and Foligno may have).

It's not just an elbow, but a butt-end to the face. This is the kind of stuff mortals get suspended for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIcrxJR_WVs

Crosby is a hypocrite on this one. Like I said in the other thread, I understand that Foligno had run into Fleury a few times. But there are other ways to respond to that then throwing an elbow and a butt end. You turn around and square up.

I'm betting this didn't even get reviewed. As I also said in the other thread, Cherry called out Crosby for this elbow and basically said what goes around comes around. Sid is a super talent, but continues to come off like a spoiled little *****.

Here's Crosby's response.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

For starters, that isn't a suspendable hit. It's a scrum in front of the net where one player is taking extra liberties.

Second, Crosby at least had some reason to give cheap shots to Foligno. And they weren't even super cheap shots at that.

Third, Crosby is a cheap little *****. As soon as things get heated Kunitz is in to save the day. If you want Crosby to play sheriff, then let him fight his own battles.

It's easy for Crosby to do this kind of stupid s*** because he knows the league was his back. I am waiting for the day when someone nails him for his spoiled brat acts. He could be such a better player and role model for kids if he would grow up. Bylsma has to remember that he has Cooke on his team if he wants to talk about classless players.

This is a case of HWSNBN writing checks with his elbow that his ass can't cash. Meaning, if you're going to pull a stunt like that, whether it was warranted or unwarranted, you need to be prepared for the same happening to you. You think he is? You think he's going to take an elbow/butt-end to the face and say "Well, I did it to some other guy, so what goes around comes around"?

Seriously? That's a scrum in front of the net. They happen every night.

Seriously? Butt-ending someone in their face happens every night? I don't think so.

Being a Holmstrom fan I've naturally spent a lot of time watching my favorite player get the s*** beat out of him every night. I remember thousands of cross-checks. However, I can't recall any butt-ending Holmstrom in the face and then hiding being their goaltender so they don't get hurt.

If Sean Avery butt-ends someone in the face, he gets suspended. But if Crosby does it, the NHL looks the other way.

It just goes to prove more and more that Crosby is a little brat.

For starters, that isn't a suspendable hit. It's a scrum in front of the net where one player is taking extra liberties.

Second, Crosby at least had some reason to give cheap shots to Foligno. And they weren't even super cheap shots at that.

Third, Crosby is a cheap little *****. As soon as things get heated Kunitz is in to save the day. If you want Crosby to play sheriff, then let him fight his own battles.

That's one of the biggest problems I have when he pulls this crap. He acts like a tough guy, but the reality is he's the teams star player, so he ends up just starting crap and getting in his cheap shots before the team swarms him. He seems to want it both ways. Don't touch the star players, but he gets to lay on crosschecks like he's testing his stick's breaking point.

All the Pens play just on the edge of dirty. Except Matty Cooke, who's bending over backwards to behave himself after last year's controversy. I am BORED with Crosby and his cheap shots. I agree that it was just a scrum and that is hockey, but if he wants to dish he better learn to take it. If the league won't step in and curb him, he needs a social call from Jay Boumeister (spelling?) or even Cody Mac from the Avs to straighten him out.

HWSNBN throwing elbows to the head is like Rush Limbaugh saying drug addicts need to be shot. The double standard is stunning.

Personally I think if Shanny doesn't at least address this in some manner, even if he states why he doesn't think it requires discipline, he will have lost a lot of credibility. He took such a strong stance against hits to the head in the beginning; ignoring it now, especially now, will make it seem like he's just towing the party line.

It wasn't a butt-end. It was a forearm. Theend of his stick was completely covered by his glove regardless. These scrums happen every game.

They do. But most of them don't involve elbows, or at least a forearm shiver to the head.

I'm far from a Crosby basher and have defended him in a lot of threads for the grief he gets around here, but if he threw an elbow like that against a Red Wing player, would you feel the same way? Or if it was Chris Pronger who did it and not Crosby?

He preaches about headshots, then goes out and throws a high swing right to a guys face. And it also bothers me he plays tough guy, knowing his teammates are going to maul whoever he's into it with when things get heated.

HWSNBN throwing elbows to the head is like Rush Limbaugh saying drug addicts need to be shot. The double standard is stunning.

Personally I think if Shanny doesn't at least address this in some manner, even if he states why he doesn't think it requires discipline, he will have lost a lot of credibility. He took such a strong stance against hits to the head in the beginning; ignoring it now, especially now, will make it seem like he's just towing the party line.

HWSNBN?

Did I miss something? I haven't had enough coffee to figure out what awful phrase that must stand for. :P

They do. But most of them don't involve elbows, or at least a forearm shiver to the head.

I'm far from a Crosby basher and have defended him in a lot of threads for the grief he gets around here, but if he threw an elbow like that against a Red Wing player, would you feel the same way? Or if it was Chris Pronger who did it and not Crosby?

The cross checks were a hell of a lot more violent than that bump to the face. If he did that to a Wing I'd call him a *****, but you see the s***s of the world in the NHL do this every single game to Holmstrom and we (LGW) never make threads about it. The "Head shot" was only technically a headshot because HWSNBM gave a pop shot to the face of the other player. Face-washes do more damage than a push of the face with a forearm.

He Who Shall Not Be Named. ;)

esteef

Wow LGW new low, blaming voldemort for Crosbys antics :hehe:

But seriously the elbow isnt that bad, but its terrble when you consider this idiot just got back from being out with a concussion and going on about headshots. You think if Crosby gets hit with a bow like that, that hes calling it a hockey scrum and brushing it off like nothing? I sure dont

I am less impressed with the fact he starts something than his teammates come to finish it.... That little shot to the head was a ***** move, but not particularly dangerous. Now I can see why some people would make this a big deal as he did go on a 50000 city tour opening for Charlie Sheen with the whole 'head shots aren't a part of the game'. I do believe if hes going to take the moral high ground and not put himself in position for someone to take a run at him hes going to have to start walking what he talks.

Edited by Shaman464

Foligno should have just dropped his gloves and pounced on Crosby.

It'd be interesting to see if the Pens players would let Crosby fight, or would jump in there to save the day.

He's had a few fights in his career, but I have a hard time seeing him doing it after this concussion business.

Foligno should have just dropped his gloves and pounced on Crosby.

It'd be interesting to see if the Pens players would let Crosby fight, or would jump in there to save the day.

He's had a few fights in his career, but I have a hard time seeing him doing it after this concussion business.

Foligno wouldn't have had a chance to get a fight in. Not if Kunitz is playing babysitter the way he did on that scrum.