• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

The Penguins needed to get rid of Therrien before they could take the next step. The Flyers got rid of Stevens. Boudreau was long overdue IMO. All that talent and they can't even make it to the Conference Finals? The Caps outgrew him awhile ago. Now its time for them to take the next step, for real. I'll be really interested to see how Ovie and Semin play now.

#22 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

I had alot of respect for him until I saw that. He was a very soft coach.

Not to mention this embarrassment.

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#23 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

on the other hand, I feel bad for this guy who became the scapegoat. it's not like you see him stand and do nothing on the ice...

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Obviously, they were going to remove him instead of letting Ovechkin go.

The players always win these battles.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 28 November 2011 - 01:40 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

Their drubbing by the Sabres made me certain that this was coming. But Dale Hunter? Really? It seems Leonsis is allowing nostalgia to cloud his judgment. I guess he has grit?

Obviously, they were going to remove him instead of letting Ovechkin go.

The players always win these battles.

The fact that the team was losing regularly was also an issue; Ovechkin can't be solely blamed for that. And I think Boudreau's playoff record was also a big factor in the decision: the guy seems to go to pieces when the playoffs arrive.

#26 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

Their drubbing by the Sabres made me certain that this was coming. But Dale Hunter? Really? It seems Leonsis is allowing nostalgia to cloud his judgment. I guess he has grit?

Well, his junior coaching record is pretty impressive 431-184-17-30 (.687 win%). Not sure how that might translate to the pro level though.

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

Go Ovie, Go! Skate Ovie, Skate!!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 Glubki

Glubki

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Ack - just saw a picture of Hunter with grey hair at the arena and my midlife crisis began...
If you have an online nemesis you are spending too much time online....

#29 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

I'd say 24/7 had a pretty big hand in that.

can you explain? i haven't seen that.
Posted Image

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

This is probably the moment where Boudreau essentially lost his job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbmRKVJWEB8

For those who don't know the story:

That shift in philosophy was never more evident than against Anaheim on Nov. 1, when Boudreau kept Ovechkin on the bench late in the game when the coach pulled his goaltender for an extra attacker. Instead, Boudreau chose to go with, among others, Jason Chimera, Joel Ward and Laich, the Caps' best line that evening. The Caps tied the game, and Ovechkin was on the bench when overtime started, although he did provide the principal assist on Backstrom's overtime winner.

Television cameras showed a ticked-off Ovechkin seething in the final moments of regulation and using a derogatory term against Boudreau. Was that moment Boudreau lost the franchise player? If so, it speaks volumes about Ovechkin's character.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/12488/with-boudreau-out-how-will-ovechkin-respond

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 28 November 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#31 Smitty_Feed

Smitty_Feed

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Ovechkin really comes off as a whiny crybaby here, doesn't he?

#32 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

This is probably the moment where Boudreau essentially lost his job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbmRKVJWEB8

For those who don't know the story:

http://espn.go.com/b...vechkin-respond

lol did he call him a "fat f@$k"?
Posted Image

#33 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

I apologize if I'm kinda behind on this, but what was Boudreau's locker room speech on 24/7? What was so bad/controversial about it? Also, Ovechkin comes off as a little kid that pitches a s*** fit if he doesn't get his every wish. He's got unbelievable skill, but he seems like a little whiny prick.

I know the star player always wins these kind of battles, but I don't place the blame completely on Bruce. Sure, you've got to demand respect and earn the respect of your team, but when there are dickheads like Ovechkin and Semin who float around and play hard when they feel like it, its got to be difficult.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

lol did he call him a "fat f@$k"?

Honestly I think that's the less offensive possibility of what he called Boudreau.

Hard to tell from the clip, but I think it's either that, or he called him an f-ing british cigarette. Not sure though.

#35 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

At least Leonsis waited until AFTER Thanksgiving to axe him.

A funny excerpt from Ted Leonsis' blog just 5 days ago:

http://www.tedstake....t-can-be-harsh/

It is game 20 of a long season. After tonight - 62 games left to go.

Thank you for keeping it all in perspective. Go Caps!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Honestly I think that's the less offensive possibility of what he called Boudreau.

Hard to tell from the clip, but I think it's either that, or he called him an f-ing british cigarette. Not sure though.

I second this. That was my assumption.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#37 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

oh dear.

can you imagine if a player said that to babcock?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

I apologize if I'm kinda behind on this, but what was Boudreau's locker room speech on 24/7? What was so bad/controversial about it? Also, Ovechkin comes off as a little kid that pitches a s*** fit if he doesn't get his every wish. He's got unbelievable skill, but he seems like a little whiny prick.

I know the star player always wins these kind of battles, but I don't place the blame completely on Bruce. Sure, you've got to demand respect and earn the respect of your team, but when there are dickheads like Ovechkin and Semin who float around and play hard when they feel like it, its got to be difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXkGJtY4A4E

At the 45-49 second mark I just feel sorry for him. Worst time to stutter IMO and the rest of the speech didn't seem like it had a lot of emotion behind it. He should've used his own advice by not thinking he wants to be a coach but actually be a coach. If all you have to do is use the f bomb a few times I think even I can become a NHL coach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzOklYx2-EI&feature=BFa&list=PL3E1210D0C00C7141&lf=results_video

At 3:37 that's rage. Short, emotional, and by being short has more weight to it than sitting there for a minute while someone yells at you sounding like a scared child themselves.

#39 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

That clip of Ovie getting "benched" show so blatantly that he has no respect for Bodreau. I doubt it was only Ovie that had a lack of respect for him.

As a coach you gotta make it 100% clear from day 1 that you're in a charge and that you treat all players equal. Bodreau seemed to think that he could be buddies with the players and let them do whatever they wanted as long as they won, only to think that yelling 'f***' over and over would make them respond if they were playing bad. When he finally got the balls to sit Ovie in a key moment, even if it was the right decision, it was too late.

I can't imagine Ovie acting like that against Babcock or Scotty Bowman. Dale Hunter will probably enter the locker room in Washington with a lot of free respect just from having a history as a very good player. But he has to keep it. Will be a tough task with primadonnas like Semin, Green and Ovie.

#40 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Boudreau isn't a good coach imo, those hbo clips further show that, the guy just isn't very smart.