Acquiring a top six forward

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 slavetothehotlight

slavetothehotlight

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

For anyone who knows the best top-six rentals that might be available at or before the deadline can u list. In addition, not a top-six but Shane Doan could be this years Dallas Drake depending of the playoff status of Phoenix. He was a beast against us 2 years ago before he got hurt in that series. A little long in the tooth but could be effective on a third or fourth line with limited minutes.

#2 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Iginla.

#3 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

why would either of those teams trade away their captains

#4 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Doan is still a top six player.
RIP #24

#5 slavetothehotlight

slavetothehotlight

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Doan is in his final year of his contract. He could just resign in the offseason after a playoff run with whatever team he is traded to. This is assuming Phoenix may not be in the playoff picture which is obviously not a given but i dont consider them a serious cup-contender. As for Iginla. He always seems to have his name in trade talks these last couple years as Calgary has consistently under-achieved. It would take a lot more to get him though.

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Because who wouldn't want Filpulla/Hudler and Ericsson on their team?

Those guys are proven champions who played for the Red Wings.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Because Calgary needs to rebuild. The only way Iginla doesn't get traded is if he doesn't waive his NTC (ala Sundin). I've heard he has provided a list of 4 teams he'd accept a trade to. Pittsburgh is one, I'm assuming Detroit is one as well, but I don't know.

#8 slavetothehotlight

slavetothehotlight

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Doan is still a top six player.

True. I had mistakenly looked at his current stats and thought they were his totals for last year haha. He is for sure on the downside of his career, however, and im sure will be on the block for rental if Phoenix is a seller. ?? Has Phoenix straightened out any of their mess with ownership yet and if not i doubt they will be making him a significant offer before this year is done if at all.

#9 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Because who wouldn't want Filpulla/Hudler and Ericsson on their team?

Those guys are proven champions who played for the Red Wings.

Hey man, Brian Burke somewhat fell for that line. That is, with an assist to one his men who used to be Brett Lebda's coach at Notre Dame.

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

First choice is obviously Parise. In his prime, impact player. Can be an integral part of the team in the future.

Second choice is Iginla. The guy can still snipe like crazy, but he's getting old and is not someone likely to be part of the core in upcoming seasons.. Therefore, only get him if he can be got cheap (which may be likely if Iginla wants out and he's only willing to go to a handful of teams). But due to his age and his assured status as a rental, he's only on my list because there's no one else other than Parise on my radar right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

First choice is obviously Parise. In his prime, impact player. Can be an integral part of the team in the future.

Second choice is Iginla. The guy can still snipe like crazy, but he's getting old and is not someone likely to be part of the core in upcoming seasons.. Therefore, only get him if he can be got cheap (which may be likely if Iginla wants out and he's only willing to go to a handful of teams). But due to his age and his assured status as a rental, he's only on my list because there's no one else other than Parise on my radar right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#12 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Because Calgary needs to rebuild. The only way Iginla doesn't get traded is if he doesn't waive his NTC (ala Sundin). I've heard he has provided a list of 4 teams he'd accept a trade to. Pittsburgh is one, I'm assuming Detroit is one as well, but I don't know.

Why would you assume that?
Rough as guts.

#13 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

I don't see the Wings landing Iginla, because Holland is the type of GM to look at the future just as much as the present. He won't pay a whole lot for Iggy knowing he's well into the second half of his career and likely won't provide much for the Wings in the coming seasons. Other teams will easily outbid us wanting to win today, including some that Iginla will want to play for, expecting they have a chance at a Cup.
Parise is a guy I can see Holland going all out for. We have the capspace, we have the prospects, we have the picks, and this guy can be a cornerstone for years to come. I don't know that we have a top three forward in our talent pool in Grand Rapids or elsewhere. Parise may be able to buy Holland a couple extra years once Dats and Z get into the end of their careers, which will be all the more reason to pull the trigger on this one.

#14 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

Reports are Bobby Ryan is being shopped, he would be pretty good to have but lets face it, super pipe dream.

#15 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

Iggy is signed through next season @ $7 million. I like him, but not that much.

Pending FA forwards who could potentially be available and may be considered top-6:

Ruutu, Tuomo -------CAR 28 $3,800,000 UFA
Jokinen, Olli ------CGY 32 $3,000,000 UFA
Stempniak, Lee -----CGY 28 $1,900,000 UFA
Comeau, Blake ------CGY 25 $2,500,000 RFA
Prospal, Vaclav ----CLB 36 $2,500,000 UFA
Hejduk, Milan ------COL 35 $3,000,000 UFA
Jones, David -------COL 27 $2,500,000 UFA
Samuelsson, Mikael -FLA 34 $2,500,000 UFA
Versteeg, Kris -----FLA 25 $3,083,333 RFA
Penner, Dustin -----LAK 29 $4,250,000 UFA
Parise, Zach -------NJD 27 $6,000,000 UFA
Whitney, Ray -------PHO 39 $3,000,000 UFA
Doan, Shane --------PHO 35 $4,550,000 UFA
Grabovski, Mikhail -TOR 27 $2,900,000 UFA
Kulemin, Nikolai ---TOR 25 $2,350,000 RFA
Semin, Alexander ---WAS 27 $6,700,000 UFA

I may have missed a few, and there may be some who aren't going to be FAs who may be worth looking at, but it's not very impressive. Parise, Semin, and Doan probably the most likely to have a real impact. Don't know that I'd want to trade for any of the rest of them, unless it was cheap. (For that matter I wouldn't give up much for Semin or Doan either.)

#16 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Reports are Bobby Ryan is being shopped, he would be pretty good to have but lets face it, super pipe dream.

I would totally dig that move! Wonder what Anaheim is looking for in return??????

#17 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

f*** Iginla!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#18 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

Iggy is signed through next season @ $7 million. I like him, but not that much.

Pending FA forwards who could potentially be available and may be considered top-6:

Ruutu, Tuomo -------CAR 28 $3,800,000 UFA
Jokinen, Olli ------CGY 32 $3,000,000 UFA
Stempniak, Lee -----CGY 28 $1,900,000 UFA
Comeau, Blake ------CGY 25 $2,500,000 RFA
Prospal, Vaclav ----CLB 36 $2,500,000 UFA
Hejduk, Milan ------COL 35 $3,000,000 UFA
Jones, David -------COL 27 $2,500,000 UFA
Samuelsson, Mikael -FLA 34 $2,500,000 UFA
Versteeg, Kris -----FLA 25 $3,083,333 RFA
Penner, Dustin -----LAK 29 $4,250,000 UFA
Parise, Zach -------NJD 27 $6,000,000 UFA
Whitney, Ray -------PHO 39 $3,000,000 UFA
Doan, Shane --------PHO 35 $4,550,000 UFA
Grabovski, Mikhail -TOR 27 $2,900,000 UFA
Kulemin, Nikolai ---TOR 25 $2,350,000 RFA
Semin, Alexander ---WAS 27 $6,700,000 UFA

I may have missed a few, and there may be some who aren't going to be FAs who may be worth looking at, but it's not very impressive. Parise, Semin, and Doan probably the most likely to have a real impact. Don't know that I'd want to trade for any of the rest of them, unless it was cheap. (For that matter I wouldn't give up much for Semin or Doan either.)

This is a no brainer, bring Sammy back!

#19 spongebob is a wings fan

spongebob is a wings fan

11 TIME CHAMPS

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

I would totally dig that move! Wonder what Anaheim is looking for in return??????

I would love to have him in a winged wheel but probably Ducks will be asking a lot in return

#20 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

Bring back Sammy!!!
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army