Rate this topic

Western Conference Standings

Rank Team GP PTS

1 Detroit 23 31

2 Minnesota 24 31

3 Phoenix 23 29

4 Chicago 25 31

5 St. Louis 24 30

The 1st and the 11th team are divided by five points.

Edited by P. Marlowe

Playing cautiously and inept, and playing smart are two completely different things. If they were playing as you suggested, then they shouldn't give up odd man rushes if they are trying to prevent the other team from scoring, they should have gained the zone and dumped the puck and outman the team if they wanted to play that style. They weren't doing that. But thanks for the lesson rolleyes.gif.

Go Wings. Another gane, another win anchored by our soft European team. You knuckledraggers must hate this season.

Well said.

Go Wings. Another gane, another win anchored by our soft European team. You knuckledraggers must hate this season.

I'm happy we're winning. We always play well in the regular season. Grit is most important for the postseason because its so important to win the puck battles in the corners, and to wear the opposition's defenseman down physically. Make them get rid of the puck before they want to. When you're passing with a forechecker coming at you, turnovers are more likely to happen.

I'm happy we're winning, but the post-season is the real test for the Detroit Red Wings.

MLive

Holmstrom capped a nice passing play from Datsyuk to Nicklas Lidstrom, giving his club a 3-2 lead at 4:22 of the third. It was Holmstrom's 116th career power-play goal, moving him past Brendan Shanahan into sole possession of fifth place on the franchise's all-time list.

(...)

Datsyuk has five goals and six assists in his past seven games.

I'm happy we're winning. We always play well in the regular season. Grit is most important for the postseason because its so important to win the puck battles in the corners, and to wear the opposition's defenseman down physically. Make them get rid of the puck before they want to. When you're passing with a forechecker coming at you, turnovers are more likely to happen.

I'm happy we're winning, but the post-season is the real test for the Detroit Red Wings.

I agree with this. It feels good to see them win right now. At the same time, in order for them to be unquestionable cup contenders in this competitive league today, I feel like they're going to need another guy who can play tough on the puck down low and create space for everyone else.

Edited by Red Wings Addict

If I hear "stretch pass" again I'm going...well, I haven't figured out what I'm going to do, I just don't want to hear "stretch pass" again. It's this games "active stick".

The funny thing is, the color guy called them out for it in the first, then they praise it in the second!

Howard continues to play well.

In past years, we've blown leads before with sloppy plays and him giving up untimely goals. He made some big saves late in the game when we had the PP.

You really have to play the PP as you normally would, and the Wings didn't. That's why we gave up so many chances. Otherwise, teams would kill penalties like that all the time.

I will be streaming this game at http://freeredwings.tv.

Btw, I can't thank you enough for livestreaming the game, the quality of your livestream is amazing, no one comes close to your stream. Without your work, I'd be stuck with grainy feed ... thanks a million :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Especially enjoyable when we win like we did today !!

Edited by RedWingsRox

Two really exciting playoff-like games and wins against the East this past week. The Red Wings pretty much dominated the play tonight outside of the penalties that got the Lightning some momentum in the second. Filppula is an incredible player right now -- love how aggressive and persistent he is offensively. The top two lines have some solid chemistry and production going, which obviously correlates with a long winning streak.

Defense is so much better this year. Shots against are way down and Jimmy stops almost all of them regardless. I'm a little concerned with him wearing down, but he's on fire and points are crucial with no separation amongst teams. Kronwall has developed into an all-around terrific d-man. His defense is excellent this season. Ericsson and Kindl both had really strong games too.

Pierre is still a total ****** and Stevie Y is still a Red Wing no matter what. Good to see him back home.

Edited by GoWings1905

Howard continues to play well.

In past years, we've blown leads before with sloppy plays and him giving up untimely goals. He made some big saves late in the game when we had the PP.

You really have to play the PP as you normally would, and the Wings didn't. That's why we gave up so many chances. Otherwise, teams would kill penalties like that all the time.

I fully agree with everything you just said, especially the second part.

We won and I don't see that trend being broken more often than not.

Would have loved to see a penalty shot, but on second thought, I don't want to see Pav deke Rolle right out of his jock.

Pfffft. I'd like to see that all day long!

Is it sad that I've watched the replay of the Holmstrom goal about 15 times so far and I still can't get enough of it?

Not at all. It was a very pretty goal, which is extremely rare when it comes to Homer. :)