• Please log in to reply
381 replies to this topic

#341 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Funny but Howard's S% is actually going to take a (very minor) hit because of this game. That's how stats can sometimes deceive you.

A very entertaining game. I wish hockey was always as energetic.

I think Babcock took an unnecessary risk during the last PP with not having two defencemen on the ice all the time. Tampa really pushed for a goal there.

I was speaking in regards to the game.... but ok...

Edited by Konnan511, 30 November 2011 - 10:18 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#342 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

With a man advantage, i expect our team to control the play, not give up break a ways and get dominated during it. It's not whining, it's being disappointed in your team when you know they are capable of being better, regardless of score. Even if we were up by 8 goals, I'd expect them to control the play on a powerplay.

The other team wants to win too, you know. It's not unheard of for a team with a 2-goal lead to play a little more cautiously at the end of the game, while the team that's down, especially if they're desperate for points (like Tampa) pushes hard regardless of man disadvantage.

Awesome game, Detroit played very, very good hockey and there's a little too much whining about small stuff imo. This felt like a playoff game.

6 straight wins and the team is looking great pretty much top to bottom. I'm of course worried about the workload for Howard, but for now watching him is so much fun.

#343 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

DRW.com put up the vid.

http://video.redwing...138834&catid=-6

Thanks for the link. Classy move by the organization.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#344 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

I got negged for telling people to quit whining? The Wings were winding down the clock. It's no different than quarterbacks taking a knee late in the game. Do you ***** about that too? WE'RE WINNING. STOP IT. Bunch of got damn children.

yet another post by electrophile telling people how to post.

i, for one, am shocked.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#345 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

way to grab that game by the balls jimmy, also helm is a monster
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#346 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

OK.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#347 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Another great game from Howard. We were lights out in the first, sluggish in the second, but closed it out in the 3rd. I think Brunnstrom looked a step behind tonight, though. Pavel looked great. Hudler was buzzing around the net. Had a couple good chances. Good game overall :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#348 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

back on top

look how tight those standings are though. you lose a game or 2 and you drop 8-10 spots

#349 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

i like what i see. another awesome Wings game on national tv. Already looking forward to Wings/Sabres on Friday.

#350 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Howie was friggin amazing, I don't think anyone is disputing that. I guess we COULD put a certain points vs. win pct. obsessed poster onto the task of save pct. as a stat instead of a save pct. against quality shots with a degree of difficulty multiplier to count among the stat reconciliation. :ninja: :)

If someone only read the box score they wouldn't be able to apreciate the awesomeness Top Jimmy displayed in the net tonight.

#351 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

The other team wants to win too, you know. It's not unheard of for a team with a 2-goal lead to play a little more cautiously at the end of the game, while the team that's down, especially if they're desperate for points (like Tampa) pushes hard regardless of man disadvantage.

Playing cautiously and inept, and playing smart are two completely different things. If they were playing as you suggested, then they shouldn't give up odd man rushes if they are trying to prevent the other team from scoring, they should have gained the zone and dumped the puck and outman the team if they wanted to play that style. They weren't doing that. But thanks for the lesson Posted Image.

Go Wings. Another gane, another win anchored by our soft European team. You knuckledraggers must hate this season.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#352 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Western Conference Standings

Rank Team GP PTS

1 Detroit 23 31
2 Minnesota 24 31
3 Phoenix 23 29
4 Chicago 25 31
5 St. Louis 24 30

The 1st and the 11th team are divided by five points.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 30 November 2011 - 10:27 PM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#353 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Playing cautiously and inept, and playing smart are two completely different things. If they were playing as you suggested, then they shouldn't give up odd man rushes if they are trying to prevent the other team from scoring, they should have gained the zone and dumped the puck and outman the team if they wanted to play that style. They weren't doing that. But thanks for the lesson Posted Image.

Go Wings. Another gane, another win anchored by our soft European team. You knuckledraggers must hate this season.

Well said.

#354 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

You knuckledraggers must hate this season.

Haha.

Western Conference Standings

Rank Team GP PTS

1 Detroit 23 31
2 Minnesota 24 31
3 Phoenix 23 29
4 Chicago 25 31
5 St. Louis 24 30

The fact that the Wings currently have some games in hand is quite nice.

#355 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'm happy we're winning. We always play well in the regular season. Grit is most important for the postseason because its so important to win the puck battles in the corners, and to wear the opposition's defenseman down physically. Make them get rid of the puck before they want to. When you're passing with a forechecker coming at you, turnovers are more likely to happen.

I'm happy we're winning, but the post-season is the real test for the Detroit Red Wings.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#356 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

MLive

Holmstrom capped a nice passing play from Datsyuk to Nicklas Lidstrom, giving his club a 3-2 lead at 4:22 of the third. It was Holmstrom's 116th career power-play goal, moving him past Brendan Shanahan into sole possession of fifth place on the franchise's all-time list.

(...)

Datsyuk has five goals and six assists in his past seven games.

-- Mitch Albom

#357 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Datsyuk was 22/31 on faceoffs. 71%. Damn.

#358 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Great game by Kindl tonight, loved his physicality, and that play on Helm's goal was awesome. :thumbup:

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#359 hockeyrhino

hockeyrhino

Draftee

• 10 posts

The Versus announcers would rather die than give Detroit its props. "Apart from the Pens, is there any better puck possession team than the Red Wings?" Long silence. Then, "Chicago's pretty good."
Posted Image

#360 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Datsyuk was 22/31 on faceoffs. 71%. Damn.

Best player out there tonight :thumbup:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien