• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

top NCAA free agent to the wings?

Rate this topic

http://watch.tsn.ca/clip576992#clip576975

this would be huge cause they could use some more defenseman in the pipeline.

6'3, mobile dman who grew up playing hockey with Nills kid.

If anyone cant see the video Bob Mackenzie basically says this kid is good enough that he is going to get 30 NHL contract offers after this season, hes from Michigan, grew up playing hockey with Nills kid and the wings have the clear inside track.

Last game Mackenzie said basically everyone except Mr Illitch himself was there to scout him. Fischer, Chelios, Draper, Holland, Nill, Devellano were all there watching him.

Sounds promising, could use some defensive prospects because outside of Smith, theres not much to write home about. Sproul and OUelette are solid but nothing to really write home about

The link wasn't direct to the video your were talking about. Who's the player?

Yeah I had the same issue but I found it under the recent vids. About 3:00 into the 'insider trading' video the kid is mentioned. Dan Dekeyser if I spelled that correctly.

Apparently not only is he familiar with Nill's kid and grew up in Michigan, but he was also present for DRW training camp? Looks like we might have this kid locked in already...

As a WMU student I would be very surprised if he didn't sign with the Wings, as stated, the front office has been scouting him at numerous games this year and he also has a Wings jersey with his name on it (from a prospects camp) hanging in the "hockey house" off campus

The link wasn't direct to the video your were talking about. Who's the player?

Oh sorry, its the insider trading vid

Mackenzie was the one raving about him which is nice to hear and its Danny Dekeyser.

I thought I recognized the name but yeah he attended prospect camp this year.

WOuld be nice to get another close to NHL ready defensive prospect to go along with SMith

could be great if he signed with the Wings.

but let's be realistic - he's not going to be promised to get directly into Wings line-up, but rather get through normal process of earning the roster spot.

exactly the way all prospects and young players in Wings system have to do. if DeKeyser is to become Wings 6th D-man, he has to beat Smith and Kindl

to this role and I'm not quite sure he can do this without some Griffins time (is it even possible with undrafted players?), and I'm most certainly sure

Holland will not give him that automatically. that's totally not Kenny, and it sure as hell is correctly so...

that is exactly the reason why I think it may not work out with the Wings. if the guy's agent pump his tires and the kid thinks he automatically deserves

NHL roster spot... he might even be right, if he's really that good, but it won't be Wings...

I compiled some notes from George Malik as he made some observations at the Red Wings Prospect Camp from July 7 - July 14.

However, Malik's ability to assess real talent is pretty much as good as any Wings fan who has an amateur knowledge of the game and a strong interest in Wings prospects. If a fan of that sort had access to the prospects camp they could probably come up with similar notes.

Day 2

Dany DeKeyser: The tall-but-gangly Western Michigan defenseman found himself the celebrity of the day as his coach, Jeff Blashill, joined the Wings. Big kid, goofy hair, stay-at-home, solid.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/evening_quickies_from_day_two_of_the_red_wings_summer_development_camp/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3

Danny Dekeyser: Simple, spartan, stay-at-home guy with a high level of mobility and a physical flair. Nothing fancy but very solid.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/mid-day_news_from_day_three_of_the_red_wings_prospect_camp/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 4

Danny Dekeyser, defense, try-out: Becoming a favorite of mine. He’s just a stay-at-home guy but he’s got some flair for passing, he skates very well, especially laterally, his shot is good for a defensive defenseman and while he can be physical, his positioning is pretty darn good, too.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/mid-day_news_from_day_four_of_the_red_wings_prospect_camp_golf_ball_hockey_/

Day 5

Danny Dekeyser can make big gigantic mistakes and he can make some unbelievably savvy stay-at-home plays. Think of him as a potential Lilja in the making.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/an_interview_with_ken_holland_and_observations_from_the_red_wings_prospects/

Day 6

Danny Dekeyser: Simple stay-at-home defenseman. Solid. Decent playmaker. Good shot. Great in terms of battling. No frills. Had a lot of trouble with the mechanics of the skating drill but could at least do them.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/mid-day_observations_from_day_6_of_the_red_wings_prospect_camp_and_vokoun_s/

Day 7

Danny Dekeyser: Dekeyser is simply a solid stay-at-home defenseman who’s mobile, physical, moves the puck well and won’t be seen again till next summer at the earliest. He’d make a pretty solid free-agent signing if he wasn’t more likely to grow back with Western Michigan. It might take another year’s worth of work for him to get an opportunity to prove that he’s more than a very soli wrench.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/impressions_from_the_last_day_of_the_red_wings_summer_prospect_camp/

Oh sorry, its the insider trading vid

Mackenzie was the one raving about him which is nice to hear and its Danny Dekeyser.

I thought I recognized the name but yeah he attended prospect camp this year.

WOuld be nice to get another close to NHL ready defensive prospect to go along with SMith

especially if lids hangs em up after this year and stuart takes off to california. insert this kid and smith and you have 2 big skilled kids with tons of piss and vinegar left in them. look at shattenkirk and pietrangelo in st. louis....oh wait, they're in 1st place. what up?

Anyone know, are the Wings still tops of his list? I read this and remembered this topic:

Hockey's Future

Dan DeKeyser, D

Sophomore, Western Michigan University

With 30 NHL teams pursuing him, Dan DeKeyser has become the hottest commodity on the collegiate free agent market this season. And it's not hard to see why. Two NHL teams that have shown some of the greatest interest in the Broncos rearguard are the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Clay Township, MI native began making a name for himself with Western Michigan last season as an excellent mobile, puck-moving defenseman. This season, he has taken his development to a whole new level and that has had NHL teams clamoring to get glimpses of him.

DeKeyser's combination of size (6'3, 190 lbs), great feet and terrific shot has made NHL teams take notice. His skating is very good, but it is his footwork that separates DeKeyser from many collegiate defensemen and it's really something to marvel at. He moves exceedingly well both in the defensive and offensive zones. The 10 or so pounds that he added over the summer has simply enhanced that attribute, making DeKeyser not only a stronger skater, but also heightening his fundamentally sound positional play as well. Where this is particularly evident is in his ability to contain players and limiting spaces on the ice.

Another attribute that has gotten the attention of NHL teams is DeKeyser's shot. He possesses a very powerful and remarkably accurate shot. It isn't often that his shots miss the net. While he can score goals himself, DeKeyser's shots aren't always to score but rather to create rebounds that can be difficult to control.

DeKeyser can be seen playing on the Broncos' top defensive pairing, alongside junior Luke Witkowski (TB). He logs upwards of 25-30 minutes per game, playing in all situations. He has played in all 36 games for Western Michigan to date, posting 13 points (five goals, eight assists). DeKeyser's plus-11 currently ranks third on the Broncos roster.

DeKeyser projects to be more of a two-way defenseman due to his great offensive ability and equally stellar defensive ability.

Interests

General

Hockey,Fishing,Smoking, and Relaxing at the Beach

Music

ALL TYPES

Movies

super troopers, harold n kumars white castle, foretting sarah marshall, old school, balls of fury

Heroes

THE DETROIT REDWINGS

looks like we got a stoner on our hands...

from his myspace page

Edited by Din758

The fact that he lists Jersey Shore as one of his favorite TV shows is far more bothersome/worrisome to me than his alleged taste for Mary Jane. Though both habits are fixable for sure.

Anyways, how can the Wings win the bidding war on him? Money can't have all that much to do with it. An entry-level contract can only go so high right?

So is it NHL playing time? I'm sure he's very aware that if he signs to be a Red Wing that he won't have his theoretical first full year in the NHL for at least 3 years if we assume he's an NHL player. He'll receive some very good refinement in the AHL but maybe he isn't willing to wait that long.

Or maybe he's hell bent on being a Red Wing. I suppose that's what many here including myself hope for his intentions.

Next year the Griffins will be starving for talent on the back end without Smith.

As of right now they only have three dmen signed for next year: Brian Lashoff, Travis Ehrhardt and Gleason Fournier. My hope is they bring back Janik, Exelby and hopefully another dman veteran who is not Logan Pyett. Ultimately the most frustrating factor about Pyett is that I can definitely see Kenny and Jimmy signing him again.

A part me would like for Adam Almqvist to make the move to GR because his skills give him an excellent chance to be their #1 power play quarterback. However he's still too small and too slow. I fear that he'll get beat to s*** in the AHL. Also, Gleason Fournier doesn't seem like anything special; or at least special enough to deserve consistent time in GR. He's kind of like a left-handed Logan Pyett in the making.

GR could really use a young talent like Dekeyser; especially if they pair him with the right veteran.

Janik-Lashoff

(Dekeyser)-[Veteran]

Exelby-Ehrhardt