• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Red Wings recall forward Chris Conner from Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings recalled forward Chris Conner from the Grand Rapids Griffins after Wednesday's game.

The club placed right wing Patrick Eaves (broken jaw) on short-term injured reserve. He's expected to be out six-to-eight weeks.

Conner will join the club on its three-game road trip to Buffalo (Friday), Colorado (Sunday) and St. Louis (Tuesday).

Conner, 27, leads the Griffins with 23 points (seven goals, 16 assists) in 20 games. The 5-foot-7, 180-pound right wing and Livonia native has 16 goals and 24 assists in 139 career NHL games with Dallas and Pittsburgh.

From Mlive.com

Anyone think he will make a difference?

Personally I think he will be comparable to Abdelkader as far as scoring

This team is getting faster and faster. I watched Connor play when I went to MTech, I'm excited to see what he can do in a Winged Wheel.

this is what I wanted to hear. I miss Patty, but this guy may just have gotten his chance at the Big Club. We shall see!! I am envisioning a Cleary-type story of "here's my chance, I am gonna make the most of it."

Does this mean Brunnstrom is gone again? I haven't seen enough of him to even give an opinion, but I'm sure Babcock knows more than I do.....

Brunsström's wife is giving birth any day now so Wings allow him to stay home for the road trip.

Brunsström's wife is giving birth any day now so Wings allow him to stay home for the road trip.

So is he considered a healthy scratch? I haven't seen enough of him to have an informed opinion so I'm not sure if Conner will be anything different than Brunnstrom.

So is he considered a healthy scratch? I haven't seen enough of him to have an informed opinion so I'm not sure if Conner will be anything different than Brunnstrom.

Conner is much faster and battles harder night in and out. Think of a faster Cleary with less offensive skills.

I'm just itchin to see SOME of Brunner. Put him on a line with Pav or Hank. A guy can only do so much when his linemates are Cleary and Helm. Those guys are good players, but they are not facilitaters. Give him someone who can hand out the sugar!!!!

I suspect that the Wings believe Brunnstrom is going to have go through the same process as those before him. If you want to be in the top-six and unless you're a Zetterberg or Datsyuk, then you're going to have to work your way up from the 4th line like Franzen, Cleary, Holmstrom, Hudler, etc. or 3rd/4th line like Filppula.

No reason to play him unless it's on the top 2 lines, with skilled teammates.

With his size, it'll be pointless playing him on the 3rd and 4th lines. You can only have so many undersized forwards trying to be checkers. Helm, Hudler and now possibly Conner.

I suspect that the Wings believe Brunnstrom is going to have go through the same process as those before him. If you want to be in the top-six and unless you're a Zetterberg or Datsyuk, then you're going to have to work your way up from the 4th line like Franzen, Cleary, Holmstrom, Hudler, etc. or 3rd/4th line like Filppula.

rightfully so, if you ask me

Guest Heaten

Brunnstrom was impressive during camp. He's been depressing the little I watched him in the regular season. I don't think he's ever going to make the NHL.

Conner, though small, seems to have lots of speed and grit to his game. More of a poor man's Helm?

Brunnstrom was impressive during camp. He's been depressing the little I watched him in the regular season. I don't think he's ever going to make the NHL.

Conner, though small, seems to have lots of speed and grit to his game. More of a poor man's Helm?

This is a good assessment of both players. Brunnnstrom hasn't really put together a full game during the regular season. He usually looks impressive his first few shifts, but quickly becomes invisable.

If Conner were six inches taller, I think he'd be a consistent fourth liner. He has good speed and battles hard.

With his size, it'll be pointless playing him on the 3rd and 4th lines. You can only have so many undersized forwards trying to be checkers. Helm, Hudler and now possibly Conner.

Wrong again.

this is what I wanted to hear. I miss Patty, but this guy may just have gotten his chance at the Big Club. We shall see!! I am envisioning a Cleary-type story of "here's my chance, I am gonna make the most of it."

No offense, but everyone expects every call-up to be the next Cleary. And every low-budget signing to be the next Cleary. He will likely be just a roster filler who adds a bit of speed but doesn't do much else. I think on Pittsburgh last year he was a semi-regular 4th liner. In 5 years in the NHL he has 40 points. He's being called up because they'd rather not keep sending the other guys up and down and mess with their development.

Huh? If you work your ass of every shift I don't think it really matters how big you are. Being a good checker doesn't mean you have to send guys through the boards every shift. I think Helm and Datsyuk are prime examples of that. Smaller guys who are always positioned well and work their ass off. Helm stripping the puck from a guy is just as effective as him attempting to plaster a guy through the boards.

Huh? If you work your ass of every shift I don't think it really matters how big you are. Being a good checker doesn't mean you have to send guys through the boards every shift. I think Helm and Datsyuk are prime examples of that. Smaller guys who are always positioned well and work their ass off. Helm stripping the puck from a guy is just as effective as him attempting to plaster a guy through the boards.

Well, we already have guys like Helm. Datsyuk is a skilled player, so he's not in the discussion here.

I think we should be looking for player types we don't have. A bigger checking forward who busts his ass off every shift. I'd rather have that than a smaller checking forward who busts his ass off every shift, especially since we already have those types.

I like Conner's play, the first time we see Helm breakaway and actually have a linemate that can match speed you all will be wondering how we will keep him on the team.

I have liked this idea since preseason and it will be awesome if he does stick, when Mursak comes back that line will be fast.