• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

Here's the link; I'm on my iPhone. So I hope this works.

http://www.mlive.com...ith_nhl_to.html

That would be very cool, I'd love to see it at Comerica. Wouldn't feel the same in Ann Arbor. As far as an opponent I'm not sure who I'd like to see us play. I have to think about it. I'd love to go to the game though!

Discuss!

EDIT: Link should work now, updated on my laptop instead of iPhone!

Edited by Hockey13Playa, 01 December 2011 - 02:16 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Link wasn't working for me but
http://www.mlive.com...ith_nhl_to.html

There ya go! I think it's awesome. I wonder who it'd be against!

#3 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

Detroit Toronto at the big house

Could you imagine?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#4 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

Here is an excerpt from the article as well:

Detroit and New York are in line for the next two NHL outdoor games in the U.S.

Since the New York Rangers play in this season’s Winter Classic on Jan. 2 at Citizen’s Park in Philadelphia against the Flyers, it stands to reason that Detroit would be the leading candidate to host next season’s game since the league is unlikely to have the same team (the Rangers) play in it two years in a row.

Could you imagine?

While it would be great, probably not going to have Canadian teams in the Winter Classic.

Edited by wingsdiehard13, 01 December 2011 - 02:14 AM.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#5 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

If you're gonna do it, it should be at the Big House, and it should be a double header...Michigan/Michigan State, Red Wings/Maple Leafs. Of course, it won't be Toronto, because they have something against a Canadian team...why, I don't know. But they could do, say, Wings/Avalanche for old times' sake. That could be fun. But they definitely need to do UofM/ MSU. They do that, and that sucker would sell out in a New York minute.
Posted Image

#6 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

If you're gonna do it, it should be at the Big House, and it should be a double header...Michigan/Michigan State, Red Wings/Maple Leafs. Of course, it won't be Toronto, because they have something against a Canadian team...why, I don't know. But they could do, say, Wings/Avalanche for old times' sake. That could be fun. But they definitely need to do UofM/ MSU. They do that, and that sucker would sell out in a New York minute.

How would that work with people only attending one game? Especially the second game with all the trash and what not? I think it would be a total zoo for people coming/going at the same time. It would be awesome for record setting attendance purposes but I think at Comerica it would have more of a "Detroit feel'. Considering Illch owns the team I am sure he would lobby pretty hard for the Wings to play in Detroit's Comerica instead of the Big House.

Posted Image

#7 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Sharks would be good, particularly if we see them again in the playoffs and/or they win the Cup. With re-alignment pending, I'm guessing it will be Pittsburgh.

#8 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:54 AM

I feel like it needs to be some kind of team with history. The Sharks don't have a whole lot of history. Perhaps we could play the Wild. Detroit is rivals with Minnesota in every other sport just about so I'm sure it would be a good game for the fans and players.

#9 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:58 AM

I feel like it needs to be some kind of team with history. The Sharks don't have a whole lot of history. Perhaps we could play the Wild. Detroit is rivals with Minnesota in every other sport just about so I'm sure it would be a good game for the fans and players.

I would tend to agree with you. You know what else would be cool, like there doing with Philly this year, having the legend of doom; have Modano be a part of it. Being he started there and finished here. I think that could be neat.

Posted Image

#10 OzWing19

OzWing19

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:08 AM

I'm thinking Homer needs to get another contact simply so he can be there for the 24/7 mini-series.

#11 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

Well that's damn decent of them. I for sure thought that now HWSNBN as returned, the Pens would host the Winter Classic for the next 10 years.

Now, as to where and whom I'd like to see us play.......Comerica is a good idea for a venue, and how about we play the Lightning? Gave us a nice run for our money last night, Steve gets to come back to Detroit again, and it'll be fun since Tampa isn't a cold-weather team.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#12 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

Detroit vs. Minnesota. Pow!

Start saving now people. It would be outstanding to have a big group from the boards show up to the game.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

Detroit vs. Minnesota. Pow!

Start saving now people. It would be outstanding to have a big group from the boards show up to the game.

I can't believe people WANT to see a Detroit-Minnesota game. Virtually every Wings fan (in the past) has agreed that Minnesota games are snooze-fests. I'd like to see an Original 6 matchup, but since they refuse to do Canadian teams that limits the options some. I don't see how a Toronto-Detroit game wouldn't sell out the Big House, though.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

This makes me so happy I can't even explain. Better start saving for tickets now ;)

#15 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Could you imagine?

My thoughts exactly, it would be monumentally historic...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#16 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

I feel like whether they were to choose Comerica or the Big House, they really can't lose. I agree that Comerica would have more of a Detroit feel but having 100k fans show up would be absolutely insane.

Could you imagine?

I know the NBC would want major American markets but I think Detroit - Toronto would be the best possible match up. Toronto is obviously a huge market and I think Americans care about the Leafs too. Plus, think of it this way...say the Leafs end up witha strong season and make the playoffs. Then if the Wings were moved to the Eastern Conference the NHL could use the WC to reignite and showcase this rivalry.

If it had to be an all american match up I would choose Detroit vs. Boston

My thoughts exactly, it would be monumentally historic...

Damn it Krause, why do we always agree? Are you like my long los brother or something?

Edited by mmamolo, 01 December 2011 - 08:46 AM.

Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#17 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

Minnesota would be sweet cuz then they could rock the North Stars jerseys for a night.

Also when was the last time Boston was in a WC? That would be a good matchup.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#18 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

Minnesota would be sweet cuz then they could rock the North Stars jerseys for a night.

Also when was the last time Boston was in a WC? That would be a good matchup.

Last year. But I was thinking a Boston-Detroit WC would be awesome, too. The Winter Classic is basically a showcase for a select few teams anyways. Especially since my money is on a Boston-Detroit Cup final.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#19 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

It was only a matter of time before they had the Wings back in the WC, they draw in too much of a crowd to ignore for too long. I'd love to see another O6 matchup, so Bruins, Rangers, or a rematch against Chicago would be awesome.

I really hope they do the right thing and cost it at Comerica Park instead of the Big House. I know that means less seats, and would probably drive the ticket price up accordingly, but it just wouldn't feel right having the game hosted outside of Detroit.

#20 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

I am excited for this to happen. I hate the cold but I would definitely be out there for this game. Will start saving because we know tickets will be expensive and hard to come by.

I hope that we do get an exciting team to play when it does happen. One of the Original 6 teams would be great.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011