• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Wings to host NHL Winter Classic within next 2 years

Rate this topic

Quick question! Since the old Minnesota North Stars team moved to Dallas, and as we all know Minnesota was granted a new team, if and I say IF Minnesota did play the Wings in the WC, would they even be able to wear the old North Stars jersey since Dallas is really the old North Stars????

And.... I hate Comerica park, I personally think its the worst ballpark in baseball, and you would be sooooo far away from the action it wouldn't even be funny! Granted at the Big House you would be far from the action to, but its the Big House!!

The only reason I would want the WC at Comerica is simply because it would bring serious revenue to Downtown! And...... play Toronto! The electricity that is in the air during a Toronto/Detroit game is insane! I want the Leafs in this one!!

I think it would be stupid if minnesota wore the north stars jerseys as it is not part of their franchise history.

I love the winter classic games. I would like them to play Chicago. Rival game plus original 6. That would be an awesome game.

Yea but we already did that... I doubt they will do the same match up. We would play Pittsburgh in the WC before Chicago. I still don't see why everyone is hating on playing Minnesota. They are actually pretty fun to watch now. It doesn't matter if they weren't the North Stars either, the fans and the city they are from is the same.

I'm starting to lean towards having it at the big house though. I think Comerica is a really nice park but 100,000+ hockey fans would be too epic.

Remember: Buffalo didn't technically host the 1st winter classic.

Orchard Park, NY did (where Ralph Wilson Stadium actually is)

Ann Arbor anyone? 100,000+

After Detroit gets it, then have one in Minnesota vs Dallas.

Wild wear Home North Star jerseys.

Stars wear Away North Star jerseys.

The next year, bring Phoenix to Winnipeg.

And Calgary to Atlanta... oh, wait....

Seriously, though. As much as I'd like to see another Detroit WC, I would love to see Dallas at Minn. I just wish they'd have done it before Modano retired. Maybe he could drop the ceremonial puck or something.

As far as who Detroit will play, I'd actually like to have it be a division game, but I think the Hawks would be the only team strong enough to draw a good audience given their fairly recent Cup and their status as an O6 team. Worked well last time.

As long as it's original 6 Ill be happy. When thinking "revenue" for a game it's hard not to think of the Leafs...seriously though what marquee

Agreed. Any Original 6 matchup would be great. Honestly, a Toronto-Detroit would probably best for ticket sales, since they're close enough to draw fans from both teams to fill the Big House, plus the fans are ridiculous. I don't know about TV viewing, but as far as attendance and participation goes that would be the biggest potential winner.

Outside of the Original 6 San Jose would be a good game, but again, I don't know about the viewing audience which is probably the key factor.

I don't see why Minnesota is being talked about so much. Fans there are great, but they have no national following outside of the state. They can't be relied on to sell a WC.

Really??? I can only hope that you are joking, since Ralph Wilson Stadium is home to the "Buffalo" Bills. If you are not joking, does that mean the Bills never host any games?

Do the Ottawa Senators never host any games? I'm sure the list would be very long if I kept going.

Now, I'm assuming you are referring to the city of Buffalo not having hosted the Winter Classic rather than the Buffalo team not hosting. Either way though, why bother with the technicality?

After Detroit gets it, then have one in Minnesota vs Dallas.

Wild wear Home North Star jerseys.

Stars wear Away North Star jerseys.

The next year, bring Phoenix to Winnipeg.

And Calgary to Atlanta... oh, wait....

Seriously, though. As much as I'd like to see another Detroit WC, I would love to see Dallas at Minn. I just wish they'd have done it before Modano retired. Maybe he could drop the ceremonial puck or something.

As far as who Detroit will play, I'd actually like to have it be a division game, but I think the Hawks would be the only team strong enough to draw a good audience given their fairly recent Cup and their status as an O6 team. Worked well last time.

Why would the Wild wear another team's jersey? Wouldn't that be like the Rangers playing in Islanders jerseys?

There could not be a better thing for the NHL than the Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs at the big house... It would surpass any advertisement and exploit they could EVER generate on their own with their crack advertising department... Not to mention that the 24/7 would be historical and unforgettable...

That's horrible logic. That was the Sabres only option as a venue to host the event. The Red Wings have a beautiful baseball park in the city in which they actually play should they get the Winter Classic.

I get the appeal of wanting to pack as many people as possible into the game, but I hope Ilitch prefers Comerica Park. The Wings should host the Winter Classic in Detroit if they can.

Edited by GoWings1905

That's horrible logic. That was the Sabres only option as a venue to host the event. The Red Wings have a beautiful baseball park in the city in which they actually play should they get the Winter Classic.

I get the appeal of wanting to pack as many people as possible into the game, but I hope Ilitch prefers Comerica Park. The Wings should host the Winter Classic in Detroit if they can.

This is probably what will happen, because it gives Mr. I the best chance to generate the most revenue, but 100k+ fans for an NHL game would be epic...

Like i said before though...just coming from me joe fan....

MICHIGAN STADIUM or ugly Comerica. If it were in the old Tiger stadium i would be all over that. But you have to admit...Comerica on the inside is dull. The outside looks pretty cool.

100,000+ or 45,000+ ?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Like i said before though...just coming from me joe fan....

MICHIGAN STADIUM or ugly Comerica. If it were in the old Tiger stadium i would be all over that. But you have to admit...Comerica on the inside is dull. The outside looks pretty cool.

100,000+ or 45,000+ ?

I personally would rather it be at Michigan, just for the history, but calling Comerica ugly? Come on... It's one of the best ball parks in baseball...

Edited by stevkrause

The one thing that worries me about the big house is that 60,000 leafs fans would show

up there. Just cause it will be such a monumental game they will be all over it and that would make Wings look bad. Would be a fantastic game as always though.

Edited by wingfan1991

Why would the Wild wear another team's jersey? Wouldn't that be like the Rangers playing in Islanders jerseys?

Sentimentality. Most people around here (North Star/Wild area) cheered for the North Stars, followed the team when they went to Dallas, and then became Wild fans.

The difference in the team histories and names etc. are almost academic as far as the attitudes. The mindset is almost "our team 1.0" and "our team 2.0" as opposed to being 2 different teams.

Of course, this varies from person to person and generation to generation. My generation and older sees them as the same thing, whereas younger folks see the NS's as old and the Wild as new.

It would be media hype rather than anything. I just think it would be fun to have Minn. and Dallas play each other. The jersey thing was kind of a joke.

Anyone know how much tickets were to the other outdoor games? Are they over priced, or because of the amount of tickets, they're reasonable? My cousin said he wants to go to the one in Detroit, and of course I'd be interested.

comerica would be stupid, ball parks suck for it, believe me i was at wrigley. Also you can sell way more tickets at the football stadium.

Toronto at the Big House was my vote a long time ago, but it's not really feasible. They call it the Big House for a reason - it's huge. People more than halfway up would be better off watching it at home. It's hard to watch a football game up high, can't imagine trying to follow a puck.

I'm going no matter where it is - started my WC fund already. :)