• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Wings to host NHL Winter Classic within next 2 years

Rate this topic

Toronto at the Big House was my vote a long time ago, but it's not really feasible. They call it the Big House for a reason - it's huge. People more than halfway up would be better off watching it at home. It's hard to watch a football game up high, can't imagine trying to follow a puck.

I'm going no matter where it is - started my WC fund already. :)

Well if they do it at the Big House, it will be different. For the game to be "special", you have to keep it different and interesting. I agree with another poster having it against Toronto would bring a huge amount of Leafs fans. Do we want that? :blink:

Like i said before though...just coming from me joe fan....

MICHIGAN STADIUM or ugly Comerica. If it were in the old Tiger stadium i would be all over that. But you have to admit...Comerica on the inside is dull. The outside looks pretty cool.

100,000+ or 45,000+ ?

Difference of opinion I guess. I think Comerica Park is very nice both inside and out.

Besides holding a ton of people, Michigan Stadium wasn't all that pleasing to look at before the recent renovations. Seems like the Detroit Red Wings should host the Winter Classic in Detroit if the option is there. Regardless of venue, I'm still very excited by the news.

Toronto at the Big House was my vote a long time ago, but it's not really feasible. They call it the Big House for a reason - it's huge. People more than halfway up would be better off watching it at home. It's hard to watch a football game up high, can't imagine trying to follow a puck.

I'm going no matter where it is - started my WC fund already. :)

You'd be surprised how well you can see everything, actually. I went to the Big Chill last year and sat in row 46 (mid-bowl) in the corner of the stadium. Had no problem following the action at all. I was kind of expecting to not be able to see much, but it wasn't bad at all. I would imagine that it would be a little difficult closer to the top of the stadium, but the HD scoreboards there a HUGE now (wasn't the case for the Big Chill, but I didn't hear many complaints regardless regarding views). Comerica would be lame. I would watch another game in the Big House in a heartbeat. Comerica, I have no desire. Especially with the amount of Leafs fans that would undoubtedly make the trip down.

Well if they do it at the Big House, it will be different. For the game to be "special", you have to keep it different and interesting. I agree with another poster having it against Toronto would bring a huge amount of Leafs fans. Do we want that? :blink:

I do. Imagine the Leafs chants battling the Wings chants. It would make it memorable and casual fans would be hooked by the atmosphere.

And let's not forget people, the Big House has giant screens that could play the action, too, doesn't it? Or would they not play during game time, even in such a situation?

Guest Hatethedrake!

I live in Ontario and usually catch about 3 Leafs games a year. I'll be at the one on Saturday too. The ACC is a very nice arena. Anyway, Leaf fans are not very loud. They generally only make noise when the team scores. All arenas now sound quiet to me though. It's because my very first hockey game live was at the old Chicago Stadium when #19 and the Wings were playing. It was so loud I had tears in my eyes and thought I'd gone deaf. It was great! :lol:

Really??? I can only hope that you are joking, since Ralph Wilson Stadium is home to the "Buffalo" Bills. If you are not joking, does that mean the Bills never host any games?

It was in reply to one poster saying that the "home city" had to host it.

I'm hoping for Wings vs. Leafs at the Big House, but I think Comerica Park will probably win out.

The biggest reason for this is that they can't sell alcohol at Michigan Stadium and that makes up a significant portion of the revenue at any pro sports game.

From Toronto Star:

Fingers crossed there will be a replay of breathless Leafs-Wings hockey, in the great outdoors, come January 1, 2013. A well-placed league source tells the Star there is a “90 per cent’’ likelihood these forever rivals will be featured in next year’s Winter Classic, a cross-border, cross-conference al fresco showpiece.

If this does happen, I wouldn't hold my breath on it being in Ann Arbor. It'd certainly be cool for it to happen obviously, but I don't think the Illitch's would want to share revenues with anybody else in this situation. Again that'd be cool as well and certainly generous but assuming this happens I don't see issues or fault or getting pissed off at being selfish about it. I'd expect it to be at Comerica Park. Either place would be cool to see it at. Would love to possibly make plans for a trip up to it just to be in the area, even if game prices are way too much out of my reach.

If this does happen, I wouldn't hold my breath on it being in Ann Arbor. It'd certainly be cool for it to happen obviously, but I don't think the Illitch's would want to share revenues with anybody else in this situation. Again that'd be cool as well and certainly generous but assuming this happens I don't see issues or fault or getting pissed off at being selfish about it. I'd expect it to be at Comerica Park. Either place would be cool to see it at. Would love to possibly make plans for a trip up to it just to be in the area, even if game prices are way too much out of my reach.

UofM's alcohol policy in the big house would also be an issue. I think he would put it at Comerica Park before he would split the revenues as well.