• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Wings to host NHL Winter Classic within next 2 years

Rate this topic

Here's the link; I'm on my iPhone. So I hope this works.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/12/red_wings_in_talks_with_nhl_to.html

That would be very cool, I'd love to see it at Comerica. Wouldn't feel the same in Ann Arbor. As far as an opponent I'm not sure who I'd like to see us play. I have to think about it. I'd love to go to the game though!

Discuss!

EDIT: Link should work now, updated on my laptop instead of iPhone!

Edited by Hockey13Playa

Here is an excerpt from the article as well:

Detroit and New York are in line for the next two NHL outdoor games in the U.S.

Since the New York Rangers play in this season’s Winter Classic on Jan. 2 at Citizen’s Park in Philadelphia against the Flyers, it stands to reason that Detroit would be the leading candidate to host next season’s game since the league is unlikely to have the same team (the Rangers) play in it two years in a row.

Detroit Toronto at the big house

Could you imagine?

While it would be great, probably not going to have Canadian teams in the Winter Classic.

Edited by wingsdiehard13

If you're gonna do it, it should be at the Big House, and it should be a double header...Michigan/Michigan State, Red Wings/Maple Leafs. Of course, it won't be Toronto, because they have something against a Canadian team...why, I don't know. But they could do, say, Wings/Avalanche for old times' sake. That could be fun. But they definitely need to do UofM/ MSU. They do that, and that sucker would sell out in a New York minute.

If you're gonna do it, it should be at the Big House, and it should be a double header...Michigan/Michigan State, Red Wings/Maple Leafs. Of course, it won't be Toronto, because they have something against a Canadian team...why, I don't know. But they could do, say, Wings/Avalanche for old times' sake. That could be fun. But they definitely need to do UofM/ MSU. They do that, and that sucker would sell out in a New York minute.

How would that work with people only attending one game? Especially the second game with all the trash and what not? I think it would be a total zoo for people coming/going at the same time. It would be awesome for record setting attendance purposes but I think at Comerica it would have more of a "Detroit feel'. Considering Illch owns the team I am sure he would lobby pretty hard for the Wings to play in Detroit's Comerica instead of the Big House.

I feel like it needs to be some kind of team with history. The Sharks don't have a whole lot of history. Perhaps we could play the Wild. Detroit is rivals with Minnesota in every other sport just about so I'm sure it would be a good game for the fans and players.

I feel like it needs to be some kind of team with history. The Sharks don't have a whole lot of history. Perhaps we could play the Wild. Detroit is rivals with Minnesota in every other sport just about so I'm sure it would be a good game for the fans and players.

I would tend to agree with you. You know what else would be cool, like there doing with Philly this year, having the legend of doom; have Modano be a part of it. Being he started there and finished here. I think that could be neat.

Well that's damn decent of them. I for sure thought that now HWSNBN as returned, the Pens would host the Winter Classic for the next 10 years.

Now, as to where and whom I'd like to see us play.......Comerica is a good idea for a venue, and how about we play the Lightning? Gave us a nice run for our money last night, Steve gets to come back to Detroit again, and it'll be fun since Tampa isn't a cold-weather team.

Detroit vs. Minnesota. Pow!

Start saving now people. It would be outstanding to have a big group from the boards show up to the game.

I can't believe people WANT to see a Detroit-Minnesota game. Virtually every Wings fan (in the past) has agreed that Minnesota games are snooze-fests. I'd like to see an Original 6 matchup, but since they refuse to do Canadian teams that limits the options some. I don't see how a Toronto-Detroit game wouldn't sell out the Big House, though.

I feel like whether they were to choose Comerica or the Big House, they really can't lose. I agree that Comerica would have more of a Detroit feel but having 100k fans show up would be absolutely insane.

Detroit Toronto at the big house

Could you imagine?

I know the NBC would want major American markets but I think Detroit - Toronto would be the best possible match up. Toronto is obviously a huge market and I think Americans care about the Leafs too. Plus, think of it this way...say the Leafs end up witha strong season and make the playoffs. Then if the Wings were moved to the Eastern Conference the NHL could use the WC to reignite and showcase this rivalry.

If it had to be an all american match up I would choose Detroit vs. Boston

My thoughts exactly, it would be monumentally historic...

Damn it Krause, why do we always agree? Are you like my long los brother or something?

Edited by mmamolo

Minnesota would be sweet cuz then they could rock the North Stars jerseys for a night.

Also when was the last time Boston was in a WC? That would be a good matchup.

Last year. But I was thinking a Boston-Detroit WC would be awesome, too. The Winter Classic is basically a showcase for a select few teams anyways. Especially since my money is on a Boston-Detroit Cup final.

It was only a matter of time before they had the Wings back in the WC, they draw in too much of a crowd to ignore for too long. I'd love to see another O6 matchup, so Bruins, Rangers, or a rematch against Chicago would be awesome.

I really hope they do the right thing and cost it at Comerica Park instead of the Big House. I know that means less seats, and would probably drive the ticket price up accordingly, but it just wouldn't feel right having the game hosted outside of Detroit.

I am excited for this to happen. I hate the cold but I would definitely be out there for this game. Will start saving because we know tickets will be expensive and hard to come by.

I hope that we do get an exciting team to play when it does happen. One of the Original 6 teams would be great.

I feel like whether they were to choose Comerica or the Big House, they really can't lose. I agree that Comerica would have more of a Detroit feel but having 100k fans show up would be absolutely insane.

I know the NBC would want major American markets but I think Detroit - Toronto would be the best possible match up. Toronto is obviously a huge market and I think Americans care about the Leafs too. Plus, think of it this way...say the Leafs end up witha strong season and make the playoffs. Then if the Wings were moved to the Eastern Conference the NHL could use the WC to reignite and showcase this rivalry.

If it had to be an all american match up I would choose Detroit vs. Boston

Damn it Krause, why do we always agree? Are you like my long los brother or something?

Because we both use logic and awesomeness to determine our thoughts and opinions, haha :)

Anybody else think we could be playing a team in the east. We might be there next season. Maybe buffalo could be back in it. Idk but I have a feeling we could be in the east. That could be a big reason were getting it. Not going to lie. If we moved East buffalo would be in our division what a great way to start a rivalry...

Of dare I say it... Maybe Pittsburgh....!

As far as the biased of not having canadian teams. That cuts nBC's ratings by an entire team... In stead of two teams fan bases watching on NBC now you have one with the other on CBC... Sucks but makes sense

Edited by Crashnburnluder

BIIIG HOUSE! BIIIG HOUSE! Uh, yeah, I have preferences. Anyway, the saving starts today! I WILL be there, even if "there" is Comerica Park (grumble, grumble). I think the Wild or Avalanche would be the best options, if we HAVE to play an American team. Toronto would be epic, though, if NBC weren't such tight wads (networks gonna network, I guess).