Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

No love for Campus Martius?

Where would the fans be?

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#42 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Where would the fans be?

You could fit like 100 guys!

#43 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

I love this idea mainly because of HBO's 24/7. Also Wings vs. Leafs @ Michigan Stadium would be something amazing.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#44 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Can't wait to see Datsyuk get a few more assists from "the wind".
Posted Image

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Regardless of what venue the game is played at, I'll be there.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

You could fit like 100 guys!

Think about that ticket price!

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#47 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

id like to see either the wild, avalanche, even the blues simply because the rangers, bruins, penguins have all had their shot at being in the winter classic. i think its time that someone else has their moment. but of course nbc will want ratings so they will choose a team that they feel will give them a boost. <_<

#48 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Comerica is awesome but it has to be at the big house.

#49 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'll say it again, I don't want Minnesota anywhere near a nationally televised Winter Classic. Talk about turning people off of the game.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#50 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

Quick question! Since the old Minnesota North Stars team moved to Dallas, and as we all know Minnesota was granted a new team, if and I say IF Minnesota did play the Wings in the WC, would they even be able to wear the old North Stars jersey since Dallas is really the old North Stars????

And.... I hate Comerica park, I personally think its the worst ballpark in baseball, and you would be sooooo far away from the action it wouldn't even be funny! Granted at the Big House you would be far from the action to, but its the Big House!!

The only reason I would want the WC at Comerica is simply because it would bring serious revenue to Downtown! And...... play Toronto! The electricity that is in the air during a Toronto/Detroit game is insane! I want the Leafs in this one!!

#51 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

Quick question! Since the old Minnesota North Stars team moved to Dallas, and as we all know Minnesota was granted a new team, if and I say IF Minnesota did play the Wings in the WC, would they even be able to wear the old North Stars jersey since Dallas is really the old North Stars????

And.... I hate Comerica park, I personally think its the worst ballpark in baseball, and you would be sooooo far away from the action it wouldn't even be funny! Granted at the Big House you would be far from the action to, but its the Big House!!

The only reason I would want the WC at Comerica is simply because it would bring serious revenue to Downtown! And...... play Toronto! The electricity that is in the air during a Toronto/Detroit game is insane! I want the Leafs in this one!!

I think it would be stupid if minnesota wore the north stars jerseys as it is not part of their franchise history.

#52 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

DET vs MTL

#53 BryceWings

BryceWings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

I love the winter classic games. I would like them to play Chicago. Rival game plus original 6. That would be an awesome game.

#54 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I love the winter classic games. I would like them to play Chicago. Rival game plus original 6. That would be an awesome game.

Yea but we already did that... I doubt they will do the same match up. We would play Pittsburgh in the WC before Chicago. I still don't see why everyone is hating on playing Minnesota. They are actually pretty fun to watch now. It doesn't matter if they weren't the North Stars either, the fans and the city they are from is the same.

I'm starting to lean towards having it at the big house though. I think Comerica is a really nice park but 100,000+ hockey fans would be too epic.

#55 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

interesting to note that of all the classics thus far, the chicago/detroit game drew the largest viewing audience.

#56 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'll say it again, I don't want Minnesota anywhere near a nationally televised Winter Classic. Talk about turning people off of the game.

lol couldn't agree with you more.

#57 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Remember: Buffalo didn't technically host the 1st winter classic.

Orchard Park, NY did (where Ralph Wilson Stadium actually is)

Ann Arbor anyone? 100,000+

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#58 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

After Detroit gets it, then have one in Minnesota vs Dallas.

Wild wear Home North Star jerseys.
Stars wear Away North Star jerseys.

The next year, bring Phoenix to Winnipeg.

And Calgary to Atlanta... oh, wait....

Seriously, though. As much as I'd like to see another Detroit WC, I would love to see Dallas at Minn. I just wish they'd have done it before Modano retired. Maybe he could drop the ceremonial puck or something.

As far as who Detroit will play, I'd actually like to have it be a division game, but I think the Hawks would be the only team strong enough to draw a good audience given their fairly recent Cup and their status as an O6 team. Worked well last time.

#59 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

As long as it's original 6 Ill be happy. When thinking "revenue" for a game it's hard not to think of the Leafs...seriously though what marquee
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#60 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

As long as it's original 6 Ill be happy. When thinking "revenue" for a game it's hard not to think of the Leafs...seriously though what marquee

Agreed. Any Original 6 matchup would be great. Honestly, a Toronto-Detroit would probably best for ticket sales, since they're close enough to draw fans from both teams to fill the Big House, plus the fans are ridiculous. I don't know about TV viewing, but as far as attendance and participation goes that would be the biggest potential winner.

Outside of the Original 6 San Jose would be a good game, but again, I don't know about the viewing audience which is probably the key factor.

I don't see why Minnesota is being talked about so much. Fans there are great, but they have no national following outside of the state. They can't be relied on to sell a WC.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.