• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Chicago? Too obvious? Too soon? Toronto's working on their own "thing".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#62 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Remember: Buffalo didn't technically host the 1st winter classic.

Orchard Park, NY did (where Ralph Wilson Stadium actually is)

Ann Arbor anyone? 100,000+

Really??? I can only hope that you are joking, since Ralph Wilson Stadium is home to the "Buffalo" Bills. If you are not joking, does that mean the Bills never host any games?

Do the Ottawa Senators never host any games? I'm sure the list would be very long if I kept going.

Now, I'm assuming you are referring to the city of Buffalo not having hosted the Winter Classic rather than the Buffalo team not hosting. Either way though, why bother with the technicality?

After Detroit gets it, then have one in Minnesota vs Dallas.

Wild wear Home North Star jerseys.
Stars wear Away North Star jerseys.

The next year, bring Phoenix to Winnipeg.

And Calgary to Atlanta... oh, wait....

Seriously, though. As much as I'd like to see another Detroit WC, I would love to see Dallas at Minn. I just wish they'd have done it before Modano retired. Maybe he could drop the ceremonial puck or something.

As far as who Detroit will play, I'd actually like to have it be a division game, but I think the Hawks would be the only team strong enough to draw a good audience given their fairly recent Cup and their status as an O6 team. Worked well last time.

Why would the Wild wear another team's jersey? Wouldn't that be like the Rangers playing in Islanders jerseys?

#63 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

There could not be a better thing for the NHL than the Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs at the big house... It would surpass any advertisement and exploit they could EVER generate on their own with their crack advertising department... Not to mention that the 24/7 would be historical and unforgettable...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#64 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

There could not be a better thing for the NHL than the Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs at the big house... It would surpass any advertisement and exploit they could EVER generate on their own with their crack advertising department... Not to mention that the 24/7 would be historical and unforgettable...

Red Wings - Maple Leafs 24/7 ;)

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#65 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Remember: Buffalo didn't technically host the 1st winter classic.

Orchard Park, NY did (where Ralph Wilson Stadium actually is)

Ann Arbor anyone? 100,000+

That's horrible logic. That was the Sabres only option as a venue to host the event. The Red Wings have a beautiful baseball park in the city in which they actually play should they get the Winter Classic.

I get the appeal of wanting to pack as many people as possible into the game, but I hope Ilitch prefers Comerica Park. The Wings should host the Winter Classic in Detroit if they can.

Edited by GoWings1905, 04 January 2012 - 12:47 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#66 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

That's horrible logic. That was the Sabres only option as a venue to host the event. The Red Wings have a beautiful baseball park in the city in which they actually play should they get the Winter Classic.

I get the appeal of wanting to pack as many people as possible into the game, but I hope Ilitch prefers Comerica Park. The Wings should host the Winter Classic in Detroit if they can.

This is probably what will happen, because it gives Mr. I the best chance to generate the most revenue, but 100k+ fans for an NHL game would be epic...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#67 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

During the CBC's coverage of the game (by the way, did NBC show the new technology Bauer is using in their goalie pads?), Elliotte Friedman said the next three cities hosting games would be Detroit, Washington and New York.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#68 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Like i said before though...just coming from me joe fan....

MICHIGAN STADIUM or ugly Comerica. If it were in the old Tiger stadium i would be all over that. But you have to admit...Comerica on the inside is dull. The outside looks pretty cool.

100,000+ or 45,000+ ?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 04 January 2012 - 02:35 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#69 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

MICHIGAN STADIUM or ugly Comerica. If it were in the old Tiger stadium i would be all over that. But you have to admit...Comerica on the inside is dull. The outside looks pretty cool.

100,000+ or 45,000+ ?

I personally would rather it be at Michigan, just for the history, but calling Comerica ugly? Come on... It's one of the best ball parks in baseball...

Edited by stevkrause, 04 January 2012 - 03:45 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#70 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

The one thing that worries me about the big house is that 60,000 leafs fans would show
up there. Just cause it will be such a monumental game they will be all over it and that would make Wings look bad. Would be a fantastic game as always though.

Edited by wingfan1991, 04 January 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#71 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Why would the Wild wear another team's jersey? Wouldn't that be like the Rangers playing in Islanders jerseys?

Sentimentality. Most people around here (North Star/Wild area) cheered for the North Stars, followed the team when they went to Dallas, and then became Wild fans.

The difference in the team histories and names etc. are almost academic as far as the attitudes. The mindset is almost "our team 1.0" and "our team 2.0" as opposed to being 2 different teams.

Of course, this varies from person to person and generation to generation. My generation and older sees them as the same thing, whereas younger folks see the NS's as old and the Wild as new.

It would be media hype rather than anything. I just think it would be fun to have Minn. and Dallas play each other. The jersey thing was kind of a joke.

#72 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Detroit vs Washington I gurantee it
Posted Image

#73 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

Anyone know how much tickets were to the other outdoor games? Are they over priced, or because of the amount of tickets, they're reasonable? My cousin said he wants to go to the one in Detroit, and of course I'd be interested.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#74 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Figures, just after I move back overseas.
I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

#75 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

comerica would be stupid, ball parks suck for it, believe me i was at wrigley. Also you can sell way more tickets at the football stadium.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#76 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

comerica would be stupid, ball parks suck for it, believe me i was at wrigley. Also you can sell way more tickets at the football stadium.

Toronto at the Big House was my vote a long time ago, but it's not really feasible. They call it the Big House for a reason - it's huge. People more than halfway up would be better off watching it at home. It's hard to watch a football game up high, can't imagine trying to follow a puck.
I'm going no matter where it is - started my WC fund already. :)
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#77 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Toronto at the Big House was my vote a long time ago, but it's not really feasible. They call it the Big House for a reason - it's huge. People more than halfway up would be better off watching it at home. It's hard to watch a football game up high, can't imagine trying to follow a puck.

Well if they do it at the Big House, it will be different. For the game to be "special", you have to keep it different and interesting. I agree with another poster having it against Toronto would bring a huge amount of Leafs fans. Do we want that? :blink:

#78 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

100,000+ or 45,000+ ?

Difference of opinion I guess. I think Comerica Park is very nice both inside and out.

Besides holding a ton of people, Michigan Stadium wasn't all that pleasing to look at before the recent renovations. Seems like the Detroit Red Wings should host the Winter Classic in Detroit if the option is there. Regardless of venue, I'm still very excited by the news.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#79 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Ford Field. First ever outdoor game played indoors. Now that would be something different.

#80 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

You'd be surprised how well you can see everything, actually. I went to the Big Chill last year and sat in row 46 (mid-bowl) in the corner of the stadium. Had no problem following the action at all. I was kind of expecting to not be able to see much, but it wasn't bad at all. I would imagine that it would be a little difficult closer to the top of the stadium, but the HD scoreboards there a HUGE now (wasn't the case for the Big Chill, but I didn't hear many complaints regardless regarding views). Comerica would be lame. I would watch another game in the Big House in a heartbeat. Comerica, I have no desire. Especially with the amount of Leafs fans that would undoubtedly make the trip down.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."