• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Save The Octopus

Crosby is like who?

Rate this topic

Guest Save The Octopus

I was reading through the latest issue of Sports Illustrated when I found this little tidbit:

The default comparison for Crosby always has been Wayne Gretzky because of their on-ice vision. But his rightful antecedent actually might be Gordie Howe, who played with the same jagged edge.

Just thought I would share.

I saw the highlights from last night. Crosby got an elbow under the chin in a scrum at the side of the net. Right away he looked at the ref wanting a penalty. Wuss! Howe would just hit the guy back later in the game.

The refs need to protect him. We'll be denied his greatness if he re-strains his ****** and is out another 8 months.

He has more in common with Gretzky than with Lemieux or Howe.

Like Wayne, he wasn't the biggest or fastest player, but had an uncanny ability to outwork people for loose pucks and score tons of points. Also, Crosby is the best goal scorer in the league when healthy, despite the fact that I think of him as a pass first guy. Much like Wayne, who you don't think of as some pure goal scorer, yet he scored almost 900 in his career. And Wayne was also a pass first guy.

He doesn't compare to Lemieux because of the size, or Howe because of how nasty Gordie played.

Crosby is exactly like Peter Forsberg. Offensive minded, excellent passer and playmaker, team leader, takes cheap shots at his opponent and then whines to the ref when the guy hits him back.

Forsberg never scored more than 30 goals in a season. Crosby is the best goal scorer in hockey.

Also, Forsberg was better defensively than Crosby is.

They are both whiners and divers if that's all you meant.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I saw the highlights from last night. Crosby got an elbow under the chin in a scrum at the side of the net. Right away he looked at the ref wanting a penalty. Wuss! Howe would just hit the guy back later in the game.

Exactly.

When Howe looked at the ref, it was to find out if they called a penalty on him for the elbow he just threw, not whining expecting a call the other way.

Honestly, Yzerman is a much closer comparison.

Speed, grit with great playmaking plus goal scoring.

Yzerman is close. But I think this is an even closer comparison:

crying_baby.jpg

Edited by Jocke

As much I hate to admit it, the Yzerman comparison, at least when it comes to hockey abilities, is pretty valid.

From a purely hockey ability standpoint I can grudgingly agree, but his extracurricular shenanigans like the pill punch and the gratuitous whining and diving early in his career nullify that to a large degree. Yzerman had far more class, imho. If the media didn't force feed him to us so much I think folks might be a bit less critical of him, and while it isn't necessarily his fault, it still is a factor.

From a purely hockey ability standpoint I can grudgingly agree, but his extracurricular shenanigans like the pill punch and the gratuitous whining and diving early in his career nullify that to a large degree. Yzerman had far more class, imho. If the media didn't force feed him to us so much I think folks might be a bit less critical of him, and while it isn't necessarily his fault, it still is a factor.

It's hard for me to judge in terms of the extracurricular shenanigans. I remember moments of Yzerman whining to the officials but when he did it he looked like he was really angry. Whenever Crosby complains to the officials, he really does have a whiny kind of face or look. That's just the observations I have.

People forget what a dirty SOB Gordie was. Next time you hear an old-timer laughing about an opponent lying on the ice and only Gordie knew what had happened, just think about that for a minute. Of course in the days of only 1 ref and limited TV cameras, you could get away with that kind of thing. Not to forget that in those days, reputation was very important to how opponents treated you. Players were scared to give Gordie a sly slash or whatever, because they knew what would come their way later.

Anyway, I think the Forsberg with more goals and less defence is a decent comparison.