• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Ferraro is the next Helm

Rate this topic

Ferraro has always got ragged on because everyone thought he was going to be a 30+ goal scorers in the NHL, and after his draft year hes got injured and hasnt done much.

A lot of people questioned why the wings gave him a contract so early, but watching him play I can see why.

He has absolutely blazing speed, maybe not quite as fast as Helm but hes on a Mursak level for sure. He is physical (probably more consistently physical than Helm) and he can PK really good too because of his speed. He may not be that big scoring winger everyone thought he should be, but for a second round pick and seeing this kid play a lot this season, I think another Darren Helm is waiting in the wings.

Hes finding his stride in Grand Rapids and has 8 points in his last 9 games, pretty good off the fourth line. He already has more goals and points than Mursak did in his Grand Rapids rookie year, and is on pace for just about what Helm had in his. I remember one goal he blew around the defenseman and absolutely shelfed the puck, still seems to have that natural finish Helm never has had

Hes also not scared to fight a bit, hes not the best fighter but could probably help handle the pests at the NHL level

He'll do things like this http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/107200 , stepping up and protecting the teams best dman.

Overall I think we're looking at another Helm type player, maybe a bit more offensive and not quite as amazing on the PK but a guy who will become a fan favourite. He's really impressed me so far with that offensive punch he has given the griffins fourth line.

2nd round pick not wasted :clap:

He's been rejuvenated this year, that's for sure. Calling him the next Helm, while promising, is still a ways away. Helm is a perennial Selke candidate, let's wait for Ferraro to get his defense to that point first.

Helm was 29th in selke voting last season. I wouldnt say theres anything perrenial about that

But an elite skater that hits, will put up around 40 points a year or so, is good on the PK and Ferraros defense is pretty solid as well, pretty similar players

Edited by newfy

Helm was 29th in selke voting last season. I wouldnt say theres anything perrenial about that

But an elite skater that hits, will put up around 40 points a year or so, is good on the PK and Ferraros defense is pretty solid as well, pretty similar players

Many of the experts had him in top ten last year and this year as well.

What a huge difference being healthy makes. He skates like the wind, he's physical, and he's still got that scoring potential hidden somewhere, which is starting to surface.

He had another assist tonight, and he's definitely putting himself back on the map. He should be this weeks RWC prospect profile.

Ferraro doesn't have the defensive prowess to compare to Helm. Considering we had the pick in 2009 that eventually got Carter Ashton (13 goals for Norfolk this year, compared to four for Ferraro in GR), I'd say trading down a sniper from the late first round (Ferraro and Nestrasil for Ashton) to get a third-liner will probably end up being a mistake.

Ferraro doesn't have the defensive prowess to compare to Helm. Considering we had the pick in 2009 that eventually got Carter Ashton (13 goals for Norfolk this year, compared to four for Ferraro in GR), I'd say trading down a sniper from the late first round (Ferraro and Nestrasil for Ashton) to get a third-liner will probably end up being a mistake.

That's some fantastic monday morning Quarterbacking you did there

Ferraro has developed into a pretty solid 2 way player since his draft year. He made a diving play late in the game last night to save a for sure goal and send the game to OT.

Hes not on a Helm level yet, but at even strength Helm isnt that THAT amazing defensively, his bread and butter is the PK.

I think Ferraro can get to a comparable level, especially if he realizes hes not making it as a sniper and focuses on his two way play

The kid has a ton of talent and potential so I can see why the Wings want to keep him and develop him. He's some pretty good Prospect Camps and Training Camps over the years. I admit I haven't payed as much attention to his juior team stats as I'd like to but he has been very impressive all the times I've seen him. Given some time I think he will be a bright star in the NHL.

I might have to agree with Mr. -49, I dont think Helm will ever win a Selke.

Hes a very solid defesnive player and a top notch PKer but yeah I dont see it really either.

No reason to think Ferraro cant get to his level defensively

i think that Helm would have a shot at the Selke if he ever got a chance on the 2nd line... or at least the 3rd line with a couple more offensive players on his line. cause we all know, in the NHL in order to be the best defensive forward in the game you have to score at least 30 goals for some stupid reason. that year draper won it...30 goals. why can't it just be for "the best defensive forward"?

on topic though...it's good to see ferraro progressing. they should try to convert him to wing and have a line in a couple years of Helm at centre with Mursak and Ferraro. that's a freakishly fast line.

i think that Helm would have a shot at the Selke if he ever got a chance on the 2nd line... or at least the 3rd line with a couple more offensive players on his line. cause we all know, in the NHL in order to be the best defensive forward in the game you have to score at least 30 goals for some stupid reason. that year draper won it...30 goals. why can't it just be for "the best defensive forward"?

on topic though...it's good to see ferraro progressing. they should try to convert him to wing and have a line in a couple years of Helm at centre with Mursak and Ferraro. that's a freakishly fast line.

He is playing wing in Grand Rapids quite a bit, I wonder if that has something to do with his pretty solid offensive output

Guest stinky fish taco

cause we all know, in the NHL in order to be the best defensive forward in the game you have to score at least 30 goals for some stupid reason. that year draper won it...30 goals.

he scored 24 goals, not 30.

Because if we give the "best defensive forward" award to the best defensive forward, then the MVP award has to go to the MVP. Which rarely happens. Last year the "rightful" finalists finished 4th, 15th, and 16th in Hart voting.

It could be the "Jimmy John's" line...

Lidstrom is a "perennial Norris candidate". Helm is not putting up the offense needed to be considered a perennial Selke candidate. It's just a fact. He could finish top 10 in Selke voting for the next 15 years and still not fit the description. Give me a nudge when he's consistently one of three finalists like Datsyuk is now.

He's been rejuvenated this year, that's for sure. Calling him the next Helm, while promising, is still a ways away. Helm is a perennial Selke candidate, let's wait for Ferraro to get his defense to that point first.

Errrrr... he's yet to be nominated for the Selke. Are you referring to Helm's best case scenario for the future?