• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Lightning Replica Jerseys with RFID Chips

Rate this topic

http://www.nesn.com/.m/2011/12/tampa-bay-lightning-microchipped-jerseys-help-increase-season-ticket-sales.html

Not sure if this belongs in the political discussion or what, but this s*** is scary.

If anyone has any feelings about this, I hope you dont carry an Iphone or Droid. My Droid has programs running like facebook that can automatically update my location. Google gathers all types of personal information from Droid users.

This is already happening, folks.

I know that technically stuff like this isn't that big of a deal, and it's happening all over. But I question the logic of allowing all these companies to track us for marketing purposes and what not. I've been thinking about how the consumer is really getting hosed from virtually every angle the last 10-15 years and it has a lot ot do with the balance shifting in favor of the producer. For instance, why do we have to let them track us for their marketing purposes? Why do we have to make it easier on them to "cater to our needs?" Hopefully that made sense.

I know that technically stuff like this isn't that big of a deal, and it's happening all over. But I question the logic of allowing all these companies to track us for marketing purposes and what not. I've been thinking about how the consumer is really getting hosed from virtually every angle the last 10-15 years and it has a lot ot do with the balance shifting in favor of the producer. For instance, why do we have to let them track us for their marketing purposes? Why do we have to make it easier on them to "cater to our needs?" Hopefully that made sense.

Blame the internet. Companies have been able to mine "anonymous" marketing data for years just based on what websites you visit. At least with this RFID chip, you know its there and what they're doing. It seems like an ok trade off. They get to mine marketing data from you (not sure what use it is to know what concession stands you frequent, I guess they want to find the popular food/beer items?), and in return you get a discount. That's more than a lot of companies will give you.

What you have to realize is that people willingly give up this info all the time. Facebook is one big marketers dream. People put up so much of their personal information, and they sell it to the highest bidder. I think most people will be happy to wear this chip if they get a discount out of it.

Also, I'd much rather deal with RFID chips than having to see Amway taint the Winged Wheel everywhere I look.......

Edited by ACallToArms

After reading that article this is just like the frequency cards you get at the grocery store and other stores too. They're offering discounts for wearing them to home games which is smart to get more of the home colors present during games. This really isn't more than what everyone else has already mentioned.

After reading that article this is just like the frequency cards you get at the grocery store and other stores too. They're offering discounts for wearing them to home games which is smart to get more of the home colors present during games. This really isn't more than what everyone else has already mentioned.

I agree, it really is just like the discount cards. Instead of scanning the cards, your chip is automagically read, which speeds up the whole process. While RFID chips can be used for evil, most of the time they have legitimate uses. The conspiracy theorists have just given them a bad name overall.

I agree, it really is just like the discount cards. Instead of scanning the cards, your chip is automagically read, which speeds up the whole process. While RFID chips can be used for evil, most of the time they have legitimate uses. The conspiracy theorists have just given them a bad name overall.

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong, the level to which companies are tracking and selling personal information about its customers these days is creepy, but any type of "club card" like at groceries stores that get you discounts are really just a way to gather marketing information about you. They're not giving you discounts out of the kindness of their hearts.

Just having it in the clothing makes it seem a little more big brother than a card you carry in your wallet.

I for one think this is an excellent idea. They talk in the article about how their jersey presence has gone up at games, how season ticket sales have increased; and plus their fans get rewards while inside the arena.

Like others have said, tracking is nothing new; and this is about as harmless as it gets.

If anyone has any feelings about this, I hope you dont carry an Iphone or Droid. My Droid has programs running like facebook that can automatically update my location. Google gathers all types of personal information from Droid users.

This is already happening, folks.

Not to mention "CarrierIQ", the program that snifs your keystrokes and text messages for "support" purposes. CarrierIQ also runs stealthily and you cannot remove it or turn it off.

Blame the internet. Companies have been able to mine "anonymous" marketing data for years just based on what websites you visit. At least with this RFID chip, you know its there and what they're doing. It seems like an ok trade off. They get to mine marketing data from you (not sure what use it is to know what concession stands you frequent, I guess they want to find the popular food/beer items?), and in return you get a discount. That's more than a lot of companies will give you.

What you have to realize is that people willingly give up this info all the time. Facebook is one big marketers dream. People put up so much of their personal information, and they sell it to the highest bidder. I think most people will be happy to wear this chip if they get a discount out of it.

Also, I'd much rather deal with RFID chips than having to see Amway taint the Winged Wheel everywhere I look.......

I agree with you. I'm not riled up about this Tampa Bay thing, it just got me thinking about the general state of consumers having to sacrifice (often without knowing it) and having no recourse just so marketers' jobs can be made easier.

I guess I don't mind the discount for having it and everything. Especially if you're tired of seeing more Red Jerseys in the arena =). But the fact they're tracking what person is buying what is kinda unecessary. Be prepared to have a guy "reading" a magazine following you around too.