• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Realignment decided - 4 Conferences

Rate this topic

The Board has made a decision and the details will be reported soon... Standby for the end of days...

The stupid as hell four division alignment has been passed. Thus ends the greatest playoff system ever and begins the era of divisional playoffs...

I think they finally killed the best game ever.

Edited by Majsheppard

Are you sure the re-alignment effects the current playoff system?

Yes, two round of divisional playoffs then reseeding. I.E. you are going to see a ton of Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, and Detroit playing each other in the first round. I hate this concept.

A perfectly rational reaction to a format that has yet to even be announced or have a single game played under it.

I think I am going to burn down your house and give you this new house made out of cheese. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

#POORLOGIC

Mark my words there will be teams missing out of the playoffs with 10 more points than some of the teams making the playoffs in the 7 team divisions.

Yes, two round of divisional playoffs then reseeding. I.E. you are going to see a ton of Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, and Detroit playing each other in the first round. I hate this concept.

I think I am going to burn down your house and give you this new house made out of cheese. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

#POORLOGIC

Mark my words there will be teams missing out of the playoffs with 10 more points than some of the teams making the playoffs in the 7 team divisions.

Yup, a house of cheese is a great comparison in this scenario, Two for two so far.

Also, using hashtags outside of twitter bro? C'mon...

Details mon!

http://eye-on-hockey.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/27694626/33719669

Look what the Winnipeg Jets started.

Realignment is coming to the NHL, and as was predicted, it's of the "total" variety.

Easy but incomplete ideas were floated (swapping either Detroit, Nashville or Columbus with Winnipeg in the Southeast and calling it a day), but in the end it was the big idea that won out. With Gary Bettman pushing it, you knew it would.

Gone are the days of divisions in hockey. The NHL will return to four conferences starting next season (names undetermined as of yet, but you can bet they will likely be historic). Two of the four divisions will have eight teams, two will have seven. The first round of the playoffs will be played entirely within the conference before re-seeding in the second round.

It will also bring a schedule where every team will play a home and away with every other team. The breakdown of games will consist of

Here is the proposal that was passed in a little less than an hour and with a 26-4 vote.

120411_realignment2.gif

I can hear everybody now. Why didn't they just go the easy route? The short answer: politics. Well that and time zones.

The Detroit Red Wings have a lot of clout. As an Original Six team who has done a lot of winning, that comes with the territory. They have long wanted to move to the East and have been very vocal about commissioner Gary Bettman promising as such. That's complication No. 1.

Complication No. 2 was the existence of teams like the Dallas Stars playing their road games two time zones away or in the case of the Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets, playing a lot of road games three time zones away. By this grouping, teams are grouped with much more consideration to time zones. So while the idea of an Eastern Conference and Western Conference are gone, the Red Wings and Jackets get their end goal and will play with teams in the Eastern time zone and Central time zone a lot more.

Complication No. 3? The Red Wings aren't in the Southeast. But you knew that.

This really does seem like the best solution to please the most teams. The biggest problems I see? First is for the teams in the two eight-team conferences. They face longer odds than the other half of the league to make the postseason.

The second? The only teams that really seemed to get jobbed by the arrangement are the two teams in Florida, the Panthers and Lightning. Not counting each other, their closest division foes are in Buffalo and Boston.

No word on division names yet, but Patrick/Smythe/Norris/Adams sound promising.

I fully expect something stupid like the proposed "regions" in the West to both have eight teams apiece, while the East gets seven each. I have very low expectations of the Red Wings actually winding up in the conference they belong either.

I'll be happy it cuts down on the travel for the Red Wings, but I still will be disappointed they won't get to play their traditional rivals more.

EDIT: Not a fan of this at all. Why is there the need for unbalance when you could easily move Detroit or Columbus?

Edited by GoWings1905

So they go 16/14 and they screw both teams that were asking to go east lol, nice work NHL... I consider this a fail.... 16 eastern time zone teams but only 14 in the conference. 14 teams from the other timezones and 16 teams in the conference haha FAIL!

And people thought it was easier to make the playoffs in the east before...

The vote was apparently 26-4. Let me guess...Detroit, Columbus, TB and Florida were against.

Edited by Nevermind

It's not as good as just moving the Wings to the East but it is MUCH better than what we have now. Only 1 trip to Western Canada and 1 to the California. And in the playoffs we play the first 2 rounds in our time zone or the Central time zone. No flights to California in the first two rounds.

We also see Montreal, Toronto and Boston for a home and home every year. I would prefer to play them more but as I said, it's a big improvement over what we have now.

I just don't get in what world having two seven-team conferences and two eight-team conferences and taking four teams to the playoffs from each one is fair. Then again I guess money overrides such concerns. It's just hilarious when both 7-team conferences are eastern despite there being more teams in the eastern timezones...